gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975542 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 06, 2024, 02:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  A lot of people are selling up their collections - why? If it's not to personal.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A lot of people are selling up their collections - why? If it's not to personal.  (Read 1613 times)

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
I sold up to fund my new extravagent lifestyle  :buck2:

neiljonarcus

too many knock downs  . too much money spent . too many hours away from the family . and for what sometimes i ask myself why do i do it
carnt realy answer the question . i hope that going to mk09 gives me a bit more push and get me horny for old school bmx again . :-\

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Some thing come and go and I've been heavily into the bmx scene for over 5 years this time round.

However bmx hasn't been my main priority lately as I've been getting into my mountain bikes and kayaking a lot lately as well.

Still love the bmx scene though.

lmmrst

guys i think at the end of the day us old skool folk do it because we dont wanna let go of the old days our youth ect why else would we be riding round on bikes that are to small for us :2funny: lets face it anyone who isnt into bikes and are a similar age to us would think we are nuts :Dwe do it cus we love it !! i even own three cars all from the 80s and i know from experience when you get rid of your bits and bobs you end up wishing you hadnt!!! :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
I also about 15 years ago started building a sweet collection of vintage Star Wars toys.

Got some cool pics of the above in any one is interested in seeing?

I think I am just a natural born collector, whether its BMX, VW or old toys will always want to buy and chase something interesting.

Anything old school does it for me.  Just love the 80's.

Interesting reading Danny mate - I can relate to a hell of a lot of it too  :-[  ;D

Trouble is I'm a hoarder as well as a collector so I never get around to the selling part  :LolLolLolLol:

Star Wars stuff, 80's yoyos, other 70's / 80's toys etc. 90's dance records too (all vinyl)

I even have my daughter collecting sticker albums and trading cards for stuff she's into  :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

At least with BMX I'm actually doing a bit of riding too so it's definitely improving my fitness and I really enjoy getting out on some of the bikes  :daumenhoch:

Natural born collector you say hmmmmmm I'm definitely all about that mate  :LolLolLolLol:

You see these lottery winners in the newspaper who don't spend the money - I reckon I could do a double rollover in within a year tops  :-X  too many things to collect, not enough time and money :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

dannywhiteley

Yeah, I got loads of old school toys and things ive picked up over the years.  Old toys, sticker albums, unopened sticker packs, loads of vinyl, etc.  Star Wars was the big one for me though, sent 10 years collecting that shit and spent a fortune. Got it all back though and then some.

I remember meeting a lad on the M62 services a few years ago and him handing over £2500 cash for some of my star wars stuff.

Heres my SW collection at its best (every one of those figures are unopened from the 80's), plus a full loose set of figures...

And heres my baby (and PVW cover issue).  Loved that car...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:46 PM by dannywhiteley »

mark 2

I can picture it now, was he dressed as a Stormtrooper?   :LolLolLolLol:

I'll be sticking with bmx, I can't see me selling up. It's too ingrained in me. It's been about 6 years so far this time around and 67 bikes. I didn't buy anything for about 7 months up until the last few weeks and was satisfied with what I had. But scored a pair of old GT coloured A'me's of US ebay for something like £6 posted and it snowballed again, £1900ish this month from money I saved towards changing my car....bell end... :idiot2:

Sold a fair bit though,  just wanted to fine tune what I've got and selling off what I know will never get used. That was tough being ruthless, some nice stuff went but reality is it was sat in draws doing nothing and all the little bits paid for a bike. A couple more builds to finish and fingers crossed that'll be it, just have a collection that I'm happy with that won't take up any more time.   Ok , maybe a bit of trading if I get bored of anything...

:LolLolLolLol:

tolaknawris

^^^^^^^^  :daumenhoch:

as long as YOU are happy  8)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:35 PM by tolaknawris »

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
I prefer other things these days
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
can see me outing a couple more bikes yet...

then i want to build a really nice cruiser...

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
£1900ish this month from money I saved towards changing my car....bell end... :idiot2:

fook Mark, thought you'd quit the big spending !  >:D
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
can see me outing a couple more bikes yet...

then i want to build a really nice cruiser...

selling the Changa then?  >:D
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
not sure...

i might just end up with the darryl young and the vdc..and a kick ass cruiser....

who knows....

might buy a load more bits after mk as there will be some juicy bits floating about....

its only money.

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
it can be a very expensive and frustrating hobby at times,but it was my first love as a child(even before adam and the ants)
but bmx is my one and only exclusive memory i have,out of eveything that we had in the 80s,thats the one that won me over
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

moanjam

WE DO IT COS WE LOVE IT  :angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

mark 2

£1900ish this month from money I saved towards changing my car....bell end... :idiot2:

fook Mark, thought you'd quit the big spending !  >:D

I thought all that had stopped too, but 2 bikes gave me that little wink, I bought them but that means 2 will have to go. Not got the space for any more and definitely need to lose 2 to claw back most of the money. The fooker is deciding what goes. The hutch judge is going for sure. 2 more really need to go space wise but in a right pickle over which ones.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
As a few have said already this happens all the time, people drop in and out of the hobby all the time.  This isn't the 1st time and will not be the last. 

The core of people who really love BMX have been here for 5 years and will still be here in 5 years time. 

fouronethreeoh!

Its nice to have a hobby, and its good that some of the big collectors have sold up some stuff as others can enjoy it.
I generally hunt around for cheap bits that need some restoration, as thats where the enjoyment is for me, taking some rusty broken 80s bike part and making it desireable for someone else. If i feel the house is filling up a bit too much then some bits get sold.

dannywhiteley

I think the difference is between people like me (in it to scratch an itch) and those in it for the long haul.  I never rode properly as a kid, just mooched about on my old halfords special, but I always remember wanting certain bikes from either reading mags or seeing other kids on better bikes than I had.  Now I have satisfied that, there is nothing to carry me further into it.

Those who raced as kids and throughout there lives have much more emotional attachment to it as a sport, rather than simply a collecting based hobby. But dont knock those like me who come and go, cos every couple of years we come in and mix it up a bit, keep it fresh and inject some money into the hobby.

Those like me who do just collect are bound to at some point either be satisfied with what they have built, or get bored, but either way there is nothing to keep us in the sport if we dont ride seriously.

Thats why every few years there seems to be an exodus of people leaving the hobby.  But as has been said, its only generally those who have been in relatively short term.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:43 AM by dannywhiteley »

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
what he said

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Yep well said

the reasons people collect are different but whats important is that people see the old bikes as objects of desire,not just old junk

Its great to get new people into the old school and its sad when people dissapear but i bet everybody old or new have enjoyed the expirience 

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
Well put Rich, dont matter how long or who you know its the experiance and after you have had yer fill then its an expensive experiance to keep having

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  A lot of people are selling up their collections - why? If it's not to personal.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx