gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975607 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 14, 2024, 06:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome or Nickel plate
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chrome or Nickel plate  (Read 929 times)

MizuToda

Chrome or Nickel plate
« on: July 16, 2009, 06:55 PM »
I just bought a  81 goose & want to have it chromed or maybe nickel... ::)
Anyone know of any good platers in essex..east london...or poss beyond if they do postal services  ???
I may do a candy blue top coat later on but.. 8)
one step at a time..

It's a tc stamped frame so has to be done. >:D

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Chrome or Nickel plate
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 07:04 PM »
dont put your candy blue on over chrome as it will be a waist of money on your chrome, and will scratch off sooo easy....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:13 PM »
nickle plate defo   dont see many done that way

MizuToda

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:28 PM »
Hmm Nickel...Hmmmmm chrome... :LolLolLolLol:
Its chrome at the mo but well scratched and worn in places quiet bad....forks are fine but i would do the pair anyhow..
I think it would cost around 150 or  ??? u tell me ..nickel would be nice tho..first i have to fined a good plater,as i have seen posts about radsters complaining about some finishes that platers have done in the past..
Dont want to pay out loads & be :tickedoff: later on
It will be a carpet queen..... but first it has to reflect the carpet properly... >:D

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:31 PM »
i did this one in nickel, just to be a bit differant, and i just wanted a nickel bike....  

difficult to tell in false lighting, but it does look real nice....

MizuToda

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Yea that looks well..V tempted. :coolsmiley:.
where did u get that done..did u have the forks done at the same time..How much :shocked:
OoOOohh i could do with some parts off of that ..   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:47 PM »
i had the frame forks and spider done together, think it was about £160....
you can buy the complete bike for the right money.... ;)

MizuToda

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 07:57 PM »
I got 2 mongooses already..a 79 and an 81....please dont do it to me  ;D

AAHHH :crazy2: Just parts @ the present Ta...& ofc the plating  :smitten:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Just my penny's worth mate..........

They didn't do a "T" stamped goose frame with an all nickel finish in 1981, so personally I would go candy over nickel for a 1981 team build or go all chrome for a 1981 supergoose build.

(Think SBD does a cheaper two coat powder option to save forking out for the nickel if you want to go candy though)

But that's just me - if you want to go custom and do it all nickel then it's your build at the end of the day mate - you pays your money you makes your choice  ;)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

MizuToda

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 05:53 PM »
I get a bit confused with the years with mongoose... & what finishes they did bitd  :-\
1 of my friends back then had a supergoose 1..around 1980...That was nickel with red 7c arayas.
I had a supergoose 2 and  if i remember was an 81/82 era..that was chrome with araya 7x rims in blue no extra holes in the brake bridge & no holes in the rear droppouts either.
I never got a good look at a team model until 82 when i raced at olympia..this perticular team goose was  piloted buy craig schofield.
I cant be 100% but i am sure that was a chrome team model...reason being that the winner of the series of races that weekend won a trophy & the teamgoose craig was racing.I made sure i had a good look..just to hype myself  up a bit.. :LolLolLolLol:

I thought team gooses were nickel between 1979/80 & chrome between 80/81...I saw a post on a forum a while back saying that mongoose only made the team series for 2 yrs..stopping with the rise of the supergoose2.. :D
Like i said I get lost :crazy2:
This new frame i got is TCC-1 stamped in chrome...so its a 75% chance it's a supergoose 2 ,, or poss 25% chance was a orginal team build At face value........but then again the same frame was used on  supergoose2 & teammongoose so hard 2 tell... :crazy2:

It does have a Mongoose logo decal on the lower frame tube but the top of the logo is missing @ both ends and i am unable to tell if it say team above the mongoose part..Its an original decal & not a repo..well warn out through polishing over the years.
The black parts of the decal is dimpled slightly were the new repo decals  are gloss black background..I only noticed this as my other goose has brand new repo decals on it.
Looking @ the condition of the decals brings the 25% chance a teamgoose closer to 50% in my view..

:2funny: But who cares !!! I just want it chromed or nickel...& lookin good >:D

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 07:16 PM »
I would say that if you have a 1981 "T" stamped frame in chrome it is deffinitely a supergoose. They did do a a run of the team goose in chrome but it was towards the end of the gusseted goose's life - late 82 / early 83.

At the end of the day it's up to you how you finish it mate - but to me she's an 81 supergoose and should be chrome all the way  :coolsmiley:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome or Nickel plate

gfxgfx
gfx gfx