gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 11, 2024, 10:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Who Invented the Cassette hub?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Who Invented the Cassette hub?  (Read 1580 times)

thecaptain

Who Invented the Cassette hub?
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:54 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place, but when did cassette hubs first come on the scene? am i right in thinking that profile was the first with the SS cassette or were they around long before but never caught on

cheers in advance guys
tom

woody allen bars

Re: Who Invented the Cassette hub?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 08:04 AM »
I think they've been around since the late seventies, or earlier. Mongoose was using Shimano cassette hubs on Supergooses at the turn of the eighties, and I guess they weren't the only ones.

As for when the cassette hub first became popular with freestyle riders that's another question - mid  nineties or after I guess (I wasn't riding at the time so can't recall)??

~ Craig

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 09:10 AM »
If my memory serves me correct, I believe profile started doing cassette hubs for race bikes in about 97, shimano also made some with lower specs 'sealed mech bearings'. Then I think it was profile again who introduced a freestyle hub at about the turn of the century, they were the only one available for quite a while until odyssey came along with one in 2002 (roughly) with a more affordable on

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:28 AM »
dont know who invented them but .

The Shimano 600 freehub goes back to the 1978 model year, though the first units were actually manufactured in 1977 and made their first appearances at 1977 trade shows

:daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 02:15 PM »
My Tuff wheels from late 1980 came with a cassette hub :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Shimano DX hubs were cassette type back in early 80s, still have matching splines with todays shimano cassettes.
Bendix coaster hubs had cassette type sprockets mid to late 70s, so did Sturmey Archer, 3 rounded type splines.

I believe these were based on Suntour cassette hubs similar to shimano.

My Tuff wheels from late 1980 came with a cassette hub :daumenhoch:

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:23 AM »
ultra burner`s  came with cassette hubs as standard on mark one`s   
no1stuntmaster on instagram

teamsano

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10 PM »
cassettes were originally on road bikes, so that individual rear gear ratios could be customised, it's not a bmx 'invention'.

is this a trick question?

thecaptain

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:46 PM »
So they've always been around but no one really picked up on the idea until late 90's or was it that they just didnt work well enough to be mass produced and used by the masses?

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:52 PM »
So they've always been around but no one really picked up on the idea until late 90's or was it that they just didnt work well enough to be mass produced and used by the masses?

I think it was a combination of things.
-Newer Cassette hubs are way better, the early ones had horrid lock rings and all sorts (Even the early profile ones).
-Once people started using small drives it became clear just how much it helped.
-Finally, it took someone who rode for T1 to use one for it to really take off!

gobshite

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 06:59 PM »
the illusive paul b??

trying to find that street whip-gap pic now!! :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Who Invented the Cassette hub?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx