gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 09, 2024, 08:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Tech Peg I made a while ago
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tech Peg I made a while ago  (Read 1418 times)

SaMAlex

Tech Peg I made a while ago
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:47 AM »

Here’s something I found in my shed this weekend. It’s a pair of pegs I made, some time in the early 90s.

At the time, pegs were either very heavy steel (for grinding) or light, knurled ally (for flatland). I wanted to make a peg that was lighter but would still grind as fast as steel. I attached a strip of steel along the under side of the peg, and left straps of steel across the top to hold in it place. This was the first steel/ally peg, and was also the first peg that was designed to be used one way up, cos the steel was only one side. It also had a block of ally that sat inside the dropout slot, behind the wheel. This stopped the peg from rotating, but also stopped the dropout from closing up (back then, dropouts were thick, but still pretty weak and after a few grinds they closed up. It was always a nightmare to get your wheel out!). Finally, I put a forward facing chain adjuster on it. The head of the bolt hit against the end of the chain stay tube and stopped the wheel from moving forward. It was great because once adjusted to the right length, you never had to move it. When you wanted to take the wheel out you just losened the wheel nut a few turns till the peg/adjuster bolt moved away from the chain stay tube. It was perfect!

I tried to sell them to a well known BMX Distributor. They took one look at them, threw them back at me and said “I don’t want to lose weight THAT badly!”. I guess Tech pegs only became cool when T1 did the same ally/steel idea a few years later.

And the matching, smaller dia front peg

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Tech Peg I made a while ago
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:51 AM »
rad  ,your a mental ,but maybe not   ;)  get the idea and todays pegs are so different that that idea could work better today
get em knocked up ,your so ahead of your time young man.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:19 PM »
were the t1's much different?
I want to touch ORB

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:24 PM »
were the t1's much different?

The T1 pegs, (the "first" ally/steel pegs) had a full steel tube over an ally peg, so you could use them at any angle, and rotate them as they wore. Also, the steel didnt come right to the end. It wasnt that nice cos you'd often be grinding on the ally bit.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:28 PM by S&MAlex »

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:57 PM »
In the end, I refined the idea down and mounted the bolt and lock nut on the frame. I capped the end of the chainstay and put a tapped hole in it. The extra thread of the bolt ran down the tube so it was all hidden. It also meant you could use any peg with it. It was perfect! You only needed to make the adjustment once, and your wheel NEVER moved. It still worked if you didnt use pegs, you could just use a nice thick ally washer instead.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:08 PM »
capped it with built up weld?
I want to touch ORB

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 02:15 PM »
capped it with built up weld?

No, with a half moon of 3mm thick steel  :-\

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 07:43 PM »
ooooh. proper job then.

must tell you the story of my landing gear one day.
I want to touch ORB

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Tech Peg I made a while ago

gfxgfx
gfx gfx