gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 30, 2024, 01:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Graphite Tuff IIs - now with added piccy goodness!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Graphite Tuff IIs - now with added piccy goodness!  (Read 6281 times)

bigsman

Graphite Tuff IIs - now with added piccy goodness!
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:42 PM »
Ok answer me this radsters...why do some 80s graphites have chrome flanges as opposed to the gold?

Was it as simple as you had the choice when you bought em?  Or was it something cool like team issue being chrome or what?

Cheers

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:50 PM by bigsman »

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Graphite Tuff IIs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:57 PM »
graphites should have gold flanges , as thats what they came with as standard , I  have seen team issues with coloured hubs white tuffs with blue hubs but never seen graphites with plain alloy hubs tbo so maybe they got replaced or polished since the 80s or they are just tuff 2s not graphites

bigsman

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:06 PM »
graphites should have gold flanges , as thats what they came with as standard , I  have seen team issues with coloured hubs white tuffs with blue hubs but never seen graphites with plain alloy hubs tbo so maybe they got replaced or polished since the 80s or they are just tuff 2s not graphites

Interesting...I've got three!  2 of em arrived with no anno on them and are on the og rivets and have the expected yellow writing on the inside of the rim.  They look and feel right for graphites but I take your point.  The third has always been a bit suss as it has been de-riveted and bolted at some point...but it has the gold graphite flanges.  Or at least it did until I stripped and polished it to match the 2 fronts I have!

Is what you say gospel or is there any other possibilty?

Cheers again

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:10 PM »
i would think taking the gold anno off a proper set of graffs would fook em up for a collector.
was'nt the graffs a more black/grey colour too ?.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Pics would be helpful, I'e never heard of silver hubbed Graphites, they were always gold.  Mattdub (I think) once posted up a pictoral of the various versions of Graphites with the different Campagnolo hubs, etc be good to see if I can find it  :).

Here it is:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72175.msg750997#msg750997
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:26 PM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I have seen Graphites with Silver flanges - I don't think they were common place though.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:01 PM »
I may be wrong but didnt they say graphite on the flanges ?

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 03:05 PM »
plus we are a tad fussy on these things but bitd  skyway did all sorts of stuff with product and as such you can see many TAs with no cut outs on the drop outs and 2 left fork dropouts etc , it was a case of what was left etc in the factory

i wouldnt be suprised that flanges were not annodised and were not annoed in time and just stuck on as they needed to sell sell sell

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 03:10 PM »
I remember seeing some graphites with silver hubs stamped 'Graphite' on them - are these what you're talking about?

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 03:15 PM »

The ones that I've seen did - Yes

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 03:37 PM »

The ones that I've seen did - Yes

Cool stuff, you learn something new about this old hobby everyday  :daumenhoch:

Bigsman, get some pics posted, would be great to see your fronts  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

bigsman

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Ok doky the thot plickens...

You asked for piccies so here goes:

Wheel 1 : Front graphite?  Sold to me as team issue a fair few years ago.  Arrived with mucho more damage than expected but kept as a nice 'thing'!

Flange

Rim

Has '029' written on inner rim and '153/402' stamped on outer rim..couldn't pick up detail on camera

Wheel 2: Front graphite?  Bought as a single from ebay to replace wheel number 1 when I realised it wouldn't be useable.  Great nick...very little damage

Flange

Rim

Wheel 3:  Rear graphite?  The dodgiest of the 3...arrived with wheel number 1 and tho in good nick the flange had been derivited and bolted altho as I said it was originally gold still.  The writing on the rim of this one is white rather than yellow and it just looks different to the other 2.

Flange

Rim

So gents whats your take on these then??

sweetbeats

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 03:48 PM »
Yeah still learning all the time-love this site  :smitten: every time I have a blast on here I pick up new knowledge  :daumenhoch:
Not seen silver flanged grafs be nice to see some visuals  :D

sweetbeats

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Cool...maybe the gold anno has been stripped from them ? Just a thought like :buck2:

magna13

Re: Graphite Tuff IIs - now with added piccy goodness!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 05:00 PM »
I was talking to this about another member ages ago and i think i can breifley remember the story? im sure why they're silver is because when Skyway would run out of OG alloy flanges and couldnt wait for more to be made, they'd fit pre-anno graphie flanges just to make wheels up, the wheels themself im sure are normal skyway plastic and not the Graphite type. so really you have a set of normal alloy hub tuff's... im sure... :-\ :-\

magna13

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 05:03 PM »
ohh sorry just realised the yellow writing inside the rim! :shocked: :shocked:

sweetbeats

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 05:03 PM »
I was talking to this about another member ages ago and i think i can breifley remember the story? im sure why they're silver is because when Skyway would run out of OG alloy flanges and couldnt wait for more to be made, they'd fit pre-anno graphie flanges just to make wheels up, the wheels themself im sure are normal skyway plastic and not the Graphite type. so really you have a set of normal alloy hub tuff's... im sure... :-\ :-\

I am sure the G painted on the inside of the rim denotes Graf Zak?

magna13

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 05:07 PM »

Yep my mistake, just noticed them pics :LolLolLolLol: well this is a little strange? pre-anno flanges? :shocked:

sweetbeats

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 05:08 PM »

Yep my mistake, just noticed them pics :LolLolLolLol: well this is a little strange? pre-anno flanges? :shocked:

I just couldn't Imagine someone buying Grafs with normal alloy looking hubs...paying all that dough even back in day you would want the world to know "Hey Check me Grafs Bitch!"

magna13

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 05:10 PM »

I just couldn't Imagine someone buying Grafs with normal alloy looking hubs...paying all that dough even back in day you would want the world to know "Hey Check me Grafs Bitch!"
I'd be a little dissapointed :-\ i mean the gold is what makes the Graphite!

sweetbeats

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 05:13 PM »
Agreed Fella  :daumenhoch:
Do love them normal white tuffs that Jay done anno Blue hubs,really gave me the BMX twitch they did...post some pics again Jay :smitten:  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:15 PM by sweetbeats™ »

magna13

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 05:16 PM »
 :daumenhoch: I also liked them Tuff's of JAY's, something very different :daumenhoch: pukka!

sweetbeats

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 05:20 PM »
:daumenhoch: I also liked them Tuff's of JAY's, something very different :daumenhoch: pukka!

Just the coolest...real attention to detail on a sextacular build :4_17_5:

magna13

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 05:21 PM »

Just the coolest...real attention to detail on a sextacular build :4_17_5:
Was certainly something special :daumenhoch: come on JAY put me & sweetbeats outta our misery and show off that class build :4_17_5:

sweetbeats

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Come on Jay gimme da BMX Storker  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Graphite Tuff IIs - now with added piccy goodness!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx