gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 06:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Wheel Truing Stand
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wheel Truing Stand  (Read 4746 times)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Wheel Truing Stand
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:09 PM »
OK, so i have laced up a few sets of wheels now and as they have all gone onto bikes that won't be rode i didnt bother having them trued.
Want to get them done now and the local shop wants £10 a wheel, as i got 6 pairs to do i thought i might aswell get myself a stand and do them myself.
But are the cheap stands like this any good and how easy are they to use? ...  http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1554 ..?

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Wheel Truing Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:15 PM »
£10 per wheel is about the going rate...   surely you will be able to do a good deal for 6 pairs though, i've just had 2 pairs done for £20 and he quoted me £12 each...

unless you are going to use that trueing stand regularly then i would waste my money, i dont think its easy either if you dont know what you are doing...
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:16 PM »
I made myself a truing stand from wood, cost me about £10.

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:18 PM »
to be honest i agree with sam ,if ya can true wheel you dont need the stand really .my next door neighbour does em for me and they are very very good without stand .sandro sanmarco has trued many a wheel at tracks when we have been racing using the brake blocks on the bike to get them right .i think its more what you know than what tools you have

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:22 PM »
hmmmm ... well i know didly squat about truing them .. but i think i'll find a different shop though .. i went in there to have a freewheel removed the other day and the guy who does the work is TOTALLY blind!!!! he was walking into things and struggling to find tools ... don't fancy giving him my perfect recrhomed super pros and nos z-rims to fook up!!

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 08:25 PM »
hmmmm ... well i know didly squat about truing them .. but i think i'll find a different shop though .. i went in there to have a freewheel removed the other day and the guy who does the work is TOTALLY blind!!!! he was walking into things and struggling to find tools ... don't fancy giving him my perfect recrhomed super pros and nos z-rims to fook up!!

blimey terry where was that mate?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 08:35 PM »
blimey terry where was that mate?

haha, a new bike shop opened about a month ago at the top of the high street in Harborne .. only 2 mins from mine so i popped in there.  3 guys sat around doing nowt and the one that got my freewheel off was blind .. i mean really blind!! couldnt see nothing .. had the wheel in the vice .. god knows how he did it.  I couldnt bring my self to let him loose on new chromed rims with tools  :-\

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 08:40 PM »
 :2funny:  :D let us know how you get on with the truing mate. ive got a couple of sets that will need doing. have bought a parks bearing cup press as well terry if you ever want to borrow it mate :daumenhoch:

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 08:49 PM »
:2funny:  :D let us know how you get on with the truing mate. ive got a couple of sets that will need doing. have bought a parks bearing cup press as well terry if you ever want to borrow it mate :daumenhoch:

Nice one .. i might take you up on that.  I made one from a threaded bolt with washers but they dont go on straight (adding smaller washers in the cups might fix that though  ??? )
Think i'll get a stand and see how i do .. will let you know how i get on  :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:50 PM »
You can always do them in the frame using the brake blocks as a guide.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 09:00 PM »
I just use my bike turned upside down

Theres loads of wheelbuilding guides ont net

Give it a go, it aint rocket science have another wheel at hand to copy lacing it if your not sure, then just take it slowly tightening the spokes

I've done 2 pairs now, both for riding rather than show pony, one pair 36h 3 cross and another pair 4 cross 48h

Did a pair of these the other night...

Any excuse to show off.... lol

They're for another bike but i just wanted to look at em on a bike... sad i know...  :-[

spleen1970

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 08:34 AM »
same as turn the bike upside down & use the brake pads as your guide its not hard to do just take your time & remember a small amount of turn on a spoke nipple makes a big change to the wheel !
give it a go dude whats the worst that can happen you,l  have to pay some one to do it
watch the you tube vids & give it a bash :daumenhoch: 

telelogic

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 09:16 AM »
I trued a wheel recently!

went on youtube and watched a tutorial then gave it a go.

worked out fine!

If I can do it anyone can :daumenhoch:

kevin (A.K.A) kai riviere

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 05:30 PM »
using the brake blocks as a guide is fine for lateral true but how the hell do you guys *BUILD* wheels from scratch & get the oval true :shocked:
not saying it can't be done but it would be quite difficult to get them spot on. or isn't that of importance in show & shine rides?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:32 PM by kevin (A.K.A) kai riviere »

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 05:39 PM »
What do you mean by oval?  that the rim is oval shape and not round?!  I have built all my wheels myself and none of them are oval  ???

spleen1970

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 05:47 PM »
just take your time be patient watch the you tube tutorials it explains what to do you can get them pretty much perfect !
give it go :daumenhoch:

kevin (A.K.A) kai riviere

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 09:39 AM »
by oval i mean....when you use the brake blocks as guides it's to see the lateral degree of straight or true. imagine your bike upside down & rear tyre removed, with the wheel in the frame (chain stays). if you were to lay a ruler across the stays & place as close & level as possible to the rim, this will show you whether you're true in the *up & down* or oval as well as using the brake blocks to show the *side to side* or lateral.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Wheel Truing Stand

gfxgfx
gfx gfx