gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 09:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School Ref Stickies (Moderator: ED209)  |  hoffman big daddy timeline history identification guide /////////
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: hoffman big daddy timeline history identification guide /////////  (Read 42756 times)

condor96

due to popular demand by quite a few people, im putting up this guide to i.d. all big daddies. ill be putting up alot here, and im sure ill add more as time goes on.
but here goes  :daumenhoch:

/////a little history.  the big daddy is the signature frame of the god of flatland, kevin jones.  throughout the early 90s,kevin was very elusive and really the only place to see him ride was to buy a dorkin vid and see all the new stuff he was doing,along with all the other top riding by the other plywood hoods, but alot of people really wanted a flatland bike with his name on it. somewhere in 92 peregrine got together with kevin for a signature frame. the prototype came out very similar to craig lepaige's (also plywood hood alumni) signature peregrine frameset.

the kevin jones peregrine frameset never went beyond the prototype.

late summer/early fall 92, hoffman runs the idea across jones about a signature frameset and a spot on the team. the deal with jones on the team is there is no deal,meaning he doesnt do the sprocket jockey shows,b.s. contests or even be in hoffman bikes videos, kevin designs the framesets and gets a royalty off everyone sold. kevin jones and brett downs design and draw up the bluprint for the big daddy on kevins parents pool table. the design was 50/50.  blueprints get to hoffman by nov 92.
early 93, kevin is first riding around and spotted on his black prototype big daddy.

chase g on his black prototype

////summer of 93,production frames are available,in chrome or green. made by s.e.(only one batch of s.e. made big daddies were built),no serial numbers, 3/16th rear dropouts,two cable guides, the "marlboro" box bb wishbone and the coaster brake bracket on the bottom of the chainstays. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY AND I DO MEAN ANY PICS OR SCANS AT ALL OF THESE FIRST GEN BIG DADDY DECALS,PLEASE PLEASE CONTACT ME.

frame

forks, 1/4 dropouts (notice how the bend is curved on the legs compared to ramp room forks that are more kinked)

day smith in ride bmx

bmx plus test

ridebmx uk

mirra on one in 93

chase g in 93

matt gipson on one, bs comp sept 95

here are some others. also if you watch in madd matt you can see that in some parts alot of the team was still using s.e. made stuff with later decals at the time as production had not yet moved in house into the ramp room.
jay on an s.e. with later decals

kevin jones in 95 on an s.e. with later decals

kevin again. 93

////may 94,production starts in house in the ramp room.

the big daddies were a primary focus during the summer of 94 as alot of people wanted to get their hands on one. very similar to the s.e. made bds. rear dropouts got upsized to 1/4 inch, and lost a cable guide with new decals. the very very earliest ramp room bds came with the coaster brake bracket on the bottom of the chainstay.i think this is where the misconception on s.e. vs ramp room big daddies came from. i dont think these came with serials (if somebody has info on it lmk)
this is a hoffman bikes file photo taken in early 94.

frame

(the one in the back)

this is when they started coming with a B4xxxx serial number on the inside of the left dropout(even tho this gen ran until mid 95,they still got a B4xxxx serial number),   the coaster brake mount went onto the seatstays instead of the chainstays. forks got a kink on the leg instead of a curve. colors for ramp room stuff is almost endless as ive seen loads of different colors.

feb 95 ride bmx ad

spring 95 ad (also kevin in the backround on his prototype)

95-96 product guide (shows mid 95 product)

day

this ad is later in 95,but its still showing earlier product.

/////mid 95. the big daddy started getting some updates. i call these the "transition" models,2 different versions and it was a running changeover that happened fast. this is when they stopped putting serials on the frames and the "marlboro" bb box went away to the rounded wishbone. the earliest of the two didnt have a coaster bracket and it was the last of the earlier decals as the new ones were being phased in.

then right after that the other version of the transition model came out, with the new decals, and the coaster bracket back with the rounded wishbone,but the last of the curved rear dropouts.

////early fall 95. october 95, the last ramp room version of the big daddy comes out, with the straight edge rear dropouts.
this is the earliest pic i have of a team rider on one,matt gipson november 95 bs comp in daytona (notice the straight edge drops)

/////mid 96. ramp room production is shut down and all bikes are now made in taiwann. started getting serials again starting with a hkf.   hb stamped ht gusset,14mm rear dropouts, rounded instead of capped stay ends with a slightly different shape of dropout. fork legs got a curve instead of the kink. dropouts were 3/8 axle slots but a slightly different design.
97 product guide (showcasing mid 96 product)

mid 96 ad

///early 97. last version of the bd.  the big daddy stays almost the same. serial now starts with a kf, and the forks get a rounded bottom fork leg with the big dropouts with 14mm axle slots.  in the mid 97 product guide they are listed as the classic series,a limited re-release of 96 models (even tho they are slightly different from 96s)

there you go, that should about do it. hope it helps anybody id a frame.... or just enjoy a good read  :daumenhoch:  
if anybody has anything to add, a pic or anything........... if anybody has any articles or test especially, please please add  :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:22 PM by condor96 »

thecaptain

Re: hoffman big daddy timeline history identification guide /////////
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:14 AM »
I just enjoyed a good read, that was spot on! must have taken ages, well done bro. Someone should sticky this up
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:35 AM by thecaptain »

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I just enjoyed a good real, that was spot on! must have taken ages, well done bro. Someone should sticky this up

x2, really enjoyed that, smart post  :4_17_5:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00 PM »
X3 top read & info there  :daumenhoch: You Da Man!!!
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

almasterb

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:08 AM »
Thanks for posting this Adam. Great information.

Wasn't Kevin woking on a frame back in 90 when he was riding for Wilkerson? Like a shorter version of the Riot?

I had a Big Daddy a few years ago. It had the coaster tab under the chainstay like the SE made frames, but with 1/4" thick dropouts and one cable guide.

This is the only pic of it. (the purple one in back)

I also have a first gen SE made frame with a serial number.

condor96

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:59 AM »
figured you would like this post  ;)

i think kevin might have been working on something with wilkerson when he was on the team, but im unsure of if anything came of it.

that purple one is a bit of an oddity  ???  probably a very early ramp room. does it have a serial?  ramp room stuff seemed to get tweaked every other day sometimes.

i dont think that serial on your s.e. is factory.  of the 5 total ive seen in my life, yours is the only one ive seen with a serial.  i havent seen an s.e. condor with a serial either.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Yop post that!  loved reading about the Big Daddies and love those frame sets and decals  :smitten:

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 06:54 PM »
thanks for taking the time and putting all this info up condor 96 learned a few thing from this  ;) the only other bit of info i wanted to know is about frame numbers and id'ing the dates  :daumenhoch:

FOUR1THREE0

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 10:08 PM »

Fantastic post!!!!!!!  :) Helped me identify my pride and joy, everything adds up to an early ramp room build coaster mount on seatstay, upsized dropouts but no serial number ???

Has been powder coated at some point in its life could this of concealed the number?

Also looks strangely similar to the black bike pictured about half way down the thread and i am pretty sure the guy i bought it off (ebay) sent me a pic of it built up and it had a very similar set up. Was this you? or do you know where pic came from?

Bought it about two years ago with the intention of just building it up with some old bits i had lying around but when it came through the post i realized how good it was and its taken me till know to finish the build with parts that do it justice! Still want to change a few bits especially the bars but i am more than chuffed with it. Build was slightly hampered by a mk2 street beat oh and a house buy!

Think i might have some articles some where i will scourer my mags and post them up if i can find them.

Anyway thanks for post, great read!!

condor96

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:03 AM »
glad it helps  :daumenhoch:

the serial could be concealed by powdercoat as the serials are not real deep and powder is thick.

i think that picture is one of almasterb's or rarman1's, i cant remember whos it is or if they still own it, i just used it because its a real good looking bike and pic  :daumenhoch:

yeah, if you can find any articles in any mags, please post up  :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:22 PM by condor96 »

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Sweet work fella - another great reference guide.

Thank you for taking the time to do it.

:daumenhoch:

subversion

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Good job that man :daumenhoch: friend of mine has a Chrome SE frameset, sure it has a serial, I'll ask him to check for me....?

2Fresh

Excellent, excellent post, thanks!! Very informative.
Here's a better photo of my '93 found a while ago for just 30€.
Until the correct decals show up one day, i am going to use a set of 95 decals on it.

adampjack

Im stoked now I know what year my ride is. its the same as the white one with purple decals

decadedan

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Hi Guys,

I love Big daddy's! I have a 95 ramp room s/n B40110, quite unique as it has a kind of gold smoked chrome affect? Does anyone know anything about this? I did speak with another dude on here that to had a smoked chrome one and our serial numbers where with in about 10.
Also my mate had an SE made big daddy which we only found out recently due to pictures of it, but unfortunately it was stolen back in about 1999 from Hackbridge in South london. Long shot but if anyone bought a chrome stickerless big daddy off someone moody round that way theres a big possability it was his. Bike theifs should be stoned in public!
D

decadedan

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Hi I have a question about the BD decals. I've noticed on the 95 ones with the yellow flowers, some seem to be green flowers including the ones on my frame! theres a pic of black frame in this thread with green flowers as apposed to yellow.  Is this mean't to be or is it discolouring of the sticker?
Dan

condor96

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 05:04 AM »
Hi I have a question about the BD decals. I've noticed on the 95 ones with the yellow flowers, some seem to be green flowers including the ones on my frame! theres a pic of black frame in this thread with green flowers as apposed to yellow.  Is this mean't to be or is it discolouring of the sticker?
Dan

they had quite a few different colorways for the decals. paint color choices were also very very numerous  :daumenhoch:

spinney rye

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 07:00 PM »
great info, well chuffed helped me identify mine, no serial number, two cable guides, round thinner dropouts, will post some pics soon, did anyone get old off the old decals?

kind regards

condor96

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 04:27 AM »
great info, well chuffed helped me identify mine, no serial number, two cable guides, round thinner dropouts, will post some pics soon, did anyone get old off the old decals?

kind regards

its a priority currently in the works. its been very tough to be able to find any artwork or pictures of those decals but im recreating them  :daumenhoch:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 05:02 PM »
Excellent I loved reading about all Hoffman stuff, thank you for taking the time  :daumenhoch:

volkswagen

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 06:00 PM »
graet info ! 8)

nosher70

Heres my sugar baby to big daddy reto project FOR SALE EARLY JUNE!!!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37 PM »
mine is an odd colour as well copper,it goes dull fairly quick but once polished turns brass/copper colour.
just started refreshing it today.

almasterb

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 03:03 AM »
I had one like that where the chrome was thin. Nearly half the frame was nickel coming through. It looked great polished, but would tarnish quickly.

I put this 93 together a year ago. It's a replica of the bike Kevin rode in "Wheelies".

The frame from Zippy back in 2008. Thanks Simon!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School Ref Stickies (Moderator: ED209)  |  hoffman big daddy timeline history identification guide /////////

gfxgfx
gfx gfx