gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 05:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  mixing new and old
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mixing new and old  (Read 1556 times)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
mixing new and old
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:53 PM »
while reading the resto disasters thread i was interested to read someone say,
"putting twin pinch flights on my gen 1, what was i thinking"
does this mean that the mixing of old and new is frowned upon or is it that some just want their bikes to be period perfect.
for me the lower cost of TPF and the sealed BB make them the obvious choice and they are imo in the "spirit" of the "real" thing
also i like to ride my bikes not hang them on a wall so the ease of maintainance of the sealed BB makes sense.
this applys to all  parts not just flights

what do you think, discuss,

andy

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: mixing new and old
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:33 PM »
for me the lower cost of TPF and the sealed BB make them the obvious choice and they are imo in the "spirit" of the "real" thing

That's it in a nut shell

They are the 'spirt' but they're not the real thing.

Its a bit Like calling Virgin Cola - Coca Cola

Just my opinion - I prefer the real deal - But I haven't always done what I preach in the past and I haven't kept any of those bikes because they haven't 'hit the spot' for me.

I now think if I can't stretch to an original set of 3 piece cranks then 1 piece it is - there's absolutely nothing wrong with a nice set of original Sugino's or Takagi's.

On some builds they are the only cranks I'd choose.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:41 PM by diesel »

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:48 PM »
but look how many people use Lee chi brakes or kenda tyres or Landar bits, all of these are copys, not even made by the original company. ok they were around bitd but they are still copies/fakes yet to some they are acceptable, to me now as then they belong in the bin along with virgin cola.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:51 PM by 58delray »

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:13 PM »
Your reply reads like your trying to justify using twin pinch flight to yourself.

The be all and end all is that if your happy with them, that's all that matters...... really that's good enough reason.

Landar, Lee Chi etc. lower end and generally cheeper parts were used on some of the lower end production bikes - So they are era correct for some builds.

For example: the diamondback 'Prostar' which was the lower end model to the Silver streak (someone correct me if I'm wrong) utilised these parts.

I put Jonny Chopper cranks on my SE Assassin last year, they looked great but they weren't right and they got sold in the end.

The site gives a public vote at shows like they did at MK09 and it was surprising just how many people were voting for bikes with twin pinch cranks and later 90's flights. I myself get a niggling from some of my friends here because I throw on a few 90's parts here and there, but Like I always say its mine to do as I like.

I just happen to have spent the last 2 years trying to replace all of those 90's parts for earlier originals - because that's where I'm at with my collecting now.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:20 PM »
no i'm not trying to justify twin pinch flights to myself as i have original flights aswell i was just seeing what people think about retro parts in general.
never been to MK but will try to get there this year.
your second to last paragraph, last sentance sums it up for me  :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37 PM »

Its a bit Like calling Virgin Cola - Coca Cola

Not strictly true...  Its like calling a can of coke from today a can of coke from the 80's... same thing different can.

I try to be 100% era correct nowadays, and will probably end up swapping the twin pinchers on my Rebel Pro Race for some 401's but at the moment think they are a nice enough hold point as no one but me will probably ever see my bikes in flash...lol

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:40 PM »

I think a lot of it depends on if you are going to ride the bike or not.

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:08 PM »
 :) For a rider TPF are fine but deffo look out of place on an era correct OS build.I`ve never seen a Redline ad marketing them as retro cranks a la Profile box type reissues...

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Gotta agree with you all. Twin-pinch is a cheapish way into 3pc's from 1pc's, but when you start getting to the expensive cranks, you've gotta be carefull or you'll spend a fortune. BITD we all rode 1pc's as you couldn't afford a set of Flights, let's face it so era correct 1pc's are fine. I ride most of my bikes so twin-pinch 3pc's do the job great and don't cost the earth :daumenhoch:

Still limping......

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:26 PM »
as bobafett says, i haven't got a problem with repro parts as long as there good quality, twin pinch redlines are fine for a rider or not era correct bikes, you but on what you can afford , i bet half the carpet queens horders have a few sets of repro tioga comp3 tyres.

STUMPYLEE

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 10:21 PM »
got to confess i did just buy some sets of the new comp111 for my riders. I think it all comes down to:
Showbike: Genuine 80s bits
Rider: Who give a f#@k what it looks like as long as it rides   ;) :2funny:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:45 PM »
got to confess i did just buy some sets of the new comp111 for my riders. I think it all comes down to:
Showbike: Genuine 80s bits
Rider: Who give a f#@k what it looks like as long as it rides   ;) :2funny:

Spot on in my humble opinion.

At the end of the day it is your bike you do what you want with it.  However if it is to go in Show and Shine comps then don't expect a placing with modern parts on the bike.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03 PM »
It's your bike Andy, build it like you want to. I build bikes for me not for anyone else but you'll always get some smartarse pulling yo up over your cranks.  ;)

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:04 PM »
It's your bike Andy, build it like you want to. I build bikes for me not for anyone else but you'll always get some smartarse pulling yo up over your cranks.  ;)

x2 and well said simon  :daumenhoch:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 06:04 AM »
It's your bike, so build it however you want.

The only thing I will say, is that if you post it in one of the forums or enter it into a show and shine then you leave yourself open to a whole heap of criticism.

I have built quite a old schoolers in my time and only one has ever had 3pc cranks (401's), all the others have era correct 1pc cranks. I don't remember anyone I knew having 3pc cranks bitd so I actually prefer rides with a nice era correct 1pc.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 10:04 AM »
i can see what people are saying about entering show and shines with modern parts on a bike, well that was never the intention as i like to ride my bikes just like i like to drive my 58 chevy delray, hence it has disc brakes and my ripper will have TPF.
a lot have said that they don't remember bikes bitd with 3 piece cranks, well most people i knew had them including myself (401s) it was somthing we upgraded asap.

don't know how well it can be seen, but i have flights on my ripper in both pics and chris has them on his ta
andy

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 10:26 AM »
What was the story behind the first pic Andy?

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:42 AM »
What was the story behind the first pic Andy?
it is one of a series of photos showing me and chris young messing about in a bloody great puddle at Ipswich Landseer park, chris still has the others.
it was a race at ipswich and it rained a lot and the track was really muddy, chris and i started off by just cleaning off the mud and crap in the puddle before puting the bikes in his dads motor. after a short time we started messing about doing ground tricks and having a water fight.
will speak to chris and see if i can get the rest of the pics.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  mixing new and old

gfxgfx
gfx gfx