gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 02:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1984 Supergoose 3 Pink
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1984 Supergoose 3 Pink  (Read 13667 times)

peteox

1984 Supergoose 3 Pink
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:13 PM »
Hi all,
 Recently acquired what appears to be all original Supergoose 3 complete bike in all round good condition but.. "PINK" F&F! (M4J etc).
Red:   SR pedals, MX clamp, Ching Shin comp 3, Mongoose seat, grips and pad set
Silver: Dia compe brakes, Pro-class rims and power disc, Renthal bars and straight post, mongoose OPC
Having done usual research I can't find any references for them ever being produced in Pink, Except there was one on Ebay last week (which had freestyle components).
I am convinced the finish is original. Also it has Ammaco cro-mo tube decal on seat tube as Ebay one.
Question is: How rare is Pink and would it be wrong to re-powder coat if it is.  F&F coat condition is 6/10, Decals 5/10 approx.
 Thanks Pete.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:54 PM by peteox »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: 1984 Supergoose 3 Pink
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28 AM »

If your serial is M4JXXXX then it's definitely not a US supergoose but "J" is around the month that they started doing the UK supergoose (which is basically a full chr-mo californian frame with supergoose forks) so it could be one of those. As for the pink finish - I can't see that being original at all - the supergoose commercially was only available in chrome - now it may have been custom painted pink back in the day either by the bike shop, distributor or original owner making the paint finish look a bit old and therefore making you feel like it is original but it won't have left the factory that way.

A lot of the parts are correct for a UK supergoose but the SR pedals and MX clamp would have been silver not red, regardless of the colour scheme of the bike (maybe someone got these anodised at a later date or replaced these parts with the red ones it now has :-\ )

Since externally the UK supergoose will basically look the same as a standard model the only way to prove it's authenticity as a UK supergoose is to strip it down and weigh both the frame and the forks individually and put your results up here  :daumenhoch:

As for keeping the "original" pink I would have a little look inside the BB tube and head tube and also look at the fork steerer tube once you strip the bike down and if you see chrome (which I reckon you will unless it was de-chromed before it's pink paint job) then there's a good chance that original shiney chrome is preserved under the paint.

If it is a supergoose I wouldn't get it re-powdered a different colour as like I say they only came in chrome so hopefully you can strip the pink off and get back to original chrome or if not, best to have it re-chromed if necessary..... but hey - it's your bike so its up to you  :)

Hope that info helps.
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

peteox

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Hope that helps!?
 You're a star! Thanks for your time and effort in producing the detailed and knowledgeable reply. I would have wasted time working in wrong direction with this project.
 If i may push my luck? The stem at first looked out of place as i presumed it should be an "SR" but I have something that looks similar to a tuff neck with markings "BY" (in an oval) on shaft. Having looked at the mention Ebay goose it appears to have the same as mine.
 Thanks again.

trasher

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 09:51 PM »

If your serial is M4JXXXX then it's definitely not a US supergoose but "J" is around the month that they started doing the UK supergoose (which is basically a full chr-mo californian frame with supergoose forks) so it could be one of those. As for the pink finish - I can't see that being original at all - the supergoose commercially was only available in chrome - now it may have been custom painted pink back in the day either by the bike shop, distributor or original owner making the paint finish look a bit old and therefore making you feel like it is original but it won't have left the factory that way.

A lot of the parts are correct for a UK supergoose but the SR pedals and MX clamp would have been silver not red, regardless of the colour scheme of the bike (maybe someone got these anodised at a later date or replaced these parts with the red ones it now has :-\ )

Since externally the UK supergoose will basically look the same as a standard model the only way to prove it's authenticity as a UK supergoose is to strip it down and weigh both the frame and the forks individually and put your results up here  :daumenhoch:

As for keeping the "original" pink I would have a little look inside the BB tube and head tube and also look at the fork steerer tube once you strip the bike down and if you see chrome (which I reckon you will unless it was de-chromed before it's pink paint job) then there's a good chance that original shiney chrome is preserved under the paint.

If it is a supergoose I wouldn't get it re-powdered a different colour as like I say they only came in chrome so hopefully you can strip the pink off and get back to original chrome or if not, best to have it re-chromed if necessary..... but hey - it's your bike so its up to you  :)

Hope that info helps.

john .can you go a bit more into detail  please :LolLolLolLol:

Jonnyboy bmx

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:27 PM »

I remember a handful of the looptail geese on ebay over the years that have had a pink finish the same as the one that is in completed items on ebay.
Also i remember a few with a green finish done in the same pastel shades as the pink  ??? .........only a handful

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:21 PM »

I remember a handful of the looptail geese on ebay over the years that have had a pink finish the same as the one that is in completed items on ebay.
Also i remember a few with a green finish done in the same pastel shades as the pink  ??? .........only a handful

Those pastely colours came out around late 86 / early 87 - same looptail cali style frame but those colours came out as the "miami vice" freestyle colours era of BMX was kicking in !  :D ;D

But the supergoose was chrome.

example of the pastley green...........

Hope that helps!?
 You're a star! Thanks for your time and effort in producing the detailed and knowledgeable reply. I would have wasted time working in wrong direction with this project.
 If i may push my luck? The stem at first looked out of place as i presumed it should be an "SR" but I have something that looks similar to a tuff neck with markings "BY" (in an oval) on shaft. Having looked at the mention Ebay goose it appears to have the same as mine.
 Thanks again.

Hmmm without pics I'm not sure of the stem or ebay item you are refering to there mate  :-\

But certainly doesn't sound goosey  :D

The 84 US bikes came with ACS manufactured "pro-class" stems or SR MS-422 stems depending on model - most of the UK bikes came with SR MS-422 stems, the UK supergoose being one.

Here is a pic and the spec for the UK supergoose (it was also labelled the "75" in 1984)............

It was lighter than the USA supergoose 3 by nature of the fact that it was a full chr-mo cali frame which was lighter than the USA supergoose frame which had fatter heavier rear tubes but the UK supergoose was lighter also than a cali because it used the full chr-mo USA supergoose forks so with the cali frame and the supergoose forks overall it was a slightly lighter frame  :)
Ammaco/mongoose in the UK focused on the lightness of the bike further still by dropping the fat front tire in favour of a thin/thin pair and using renthal alloy post and bars.

The 85 UK supergoose model differed slightly again as it switched to M1 vented seat, proclass disc, pro-class II wheels and 180mm crank.

But for your 84 build if you are going factory spec then the above pic is your guide  :daumenhoch:

Hoping to have my 83 USA supergoose 3 AND 84 UK supergoose builds both finished this year but still pondering a re-chrome on the UK jobby  :-\

Get some pics up of your bike as it is and then strip it down and weigh the frame and forks  ;)

:)

Jonnyboy bmx

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:41 PM »
That's not the one i mean mate, i have seen a few supergoose not in the same green as the later one you got pictured, a lot more subtle. Like i say only a handful but enough bikes, as with the pink but enough to make me think that it came original from the factory.................. not that i have any evidence to back this up of course  :LolLolLolLol: , its just a few ive seen come up for sale over the years
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:44 PM by BMXJON »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:50 PM »
That's not the one i mean mate, i have seen a few supergoose not in the same green as the later one you got pictured, a lot more subtle. Like i say only a handful but enough bikes, as with the pink but enough to make me think that it came original from the factory.................. not that i have any evidence to back this up of course  :LolLolLolLol: , its just a few ive seen come up for sale over the years

Trouble with anything being sold now as a "rare" paint finish is that it's impossible to say when it's been painted - without any printed media to colaborate it from BITD I am sceptical.

The only other possibility that I can see is that Malcom Jarvis (Ammaco founder) offered custom paint finishes and had this done after the frames where received from the mongoose manufacturing plants - but I haven't heard or read anything like that.

For me - at this point in time at least - other than the 79 nickel supergoose all old school supergoose frames where chrome  :daumenhoch:

Jonnyboy bmx

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:23 AM »

Trouble with anything being sold now as a "rare" paint finish is that it's impossible to say when it's been painted - without any printed media to colaborate it from BITD I am sceptical.

The only other possibility that I can see is that Malcom Jarvis (Ammaco founder) offered custom paint finishes and had this done after the frames where received from the mongoose manufacturing plants - but I haven't heard or read anything like that.

For me - at this point in time at least - other than the 79 nickel supergoose all old school supergoose frames where chrome  :daumenhoch:

Yep, agree with that & it is a strange one & hard to think they would have done any thing different than chrome every frameset, i know ive seen a few more like this, maybe not sought after but i guess quite rare, keep your eye out for any more............... would be interesting (& comforting) to know that im not going mad  :daumenhoch:  :LolLolLolLol:

bmxbob

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:24 AM »
Get some photos on then  ::)

:coolsmiley:

Jonnyboy bmx

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 12:28 AM »
Get some photos on then  ::)

:coolsmiley:

wish i had some (like i said i have no proof im afraid :-[)

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 09:59 AM »

pretty sure i've seen pics in the BMX books with F&F sets in white
badged up with ammaco decals

see if i can find & scan them
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:52 PM »

pretty sure i've seen pics in the BMX books with F&F sets in white
badged up with ammaco decals

see if i can find & scan them

Didn't Ruffell ride a White "Ammaco" Goose after he left Raleigh - that would be 86ish?

I think beard1973 posted pics from magazine from that period. It showed Ruff on the White Ammaco/Goose and Craig Schofield on a Burner training somewhere warm.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:55 PM by James Nada »

peteox

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Thanks guys but this ones sorted :daumenhoch: The thread is over a year old..
Seams that Ammaco used some UK 1984 (M4J) Frame sets in 1985/6 on Supergoose models ("Special edition", "75" & "85") with Pink, Orange & Green Finishes..
I think that's right?? :-\
If you want see go to: photobucket.com and Search peteox

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Yep indeed, we had fun with this one pete :D

Basically full chr mo cali frames with chr mo forks and an ammaco paint job and parts spec.

Ammaco keeping the supergoose name alive since it had been dropped by the US but was the big selling model in the uk.

Offline peteox

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Remember this One!! Today I received a PM from a new member asking if I ever found anymore information on this. I kept my find as a survivor and only change the tyres. Hope this helps for reference

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 11:02 PM »
What a brilliant thread .. love this  :smitten:
Kinda looks cool in pink tbf  ::)
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1984 Supergoose 3 Pink

gfxgfx
gfx gfx