gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 04:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  for those that miss n2cus
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: for those that miss n2cus  (Read 13785 times)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: for those that miss n2cus
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 10:34 PM »

Fuzzys condor was pukka, didn't YGT end up with it ?

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Aye a blast from the past  :4_17_5:

I remember missing out on this when Dan was letting it go for a donation I think , auction in the for sale section

and I got back late that evening when it had finished and was  gutted . :'(

Nobody really wanted it ( but I did ) and Rhys Lazychubs got it for about £330 I think and he only kept himself about a month .

I loved it survivor myself ,, but I reckon I would've done a full resto just as you did Mr G  :)

Good thread ressurection  8) 8) 8)

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 06:50 PM »
First time I've seen this. Awesome!!!   :4_17_5:

Offline Max-Felix

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Hi guys, this is all a bit overcoming  ;) but that was my Haro.   :)

Someone sent me a link to another topic below:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23111.msg238648.html?PHPSESSID=036b7bd9a69a0c5a9ade3f8ae40f7cdb#msg238648

And after some searching it led me to this topic (apologies for the slight thread ressurection but I thought I would add what I can).

Firstly I was a member on this forum some years back but cannot find the old user name (felix something?) or email etc, if the mods can advise please let me know, maybe it was deleted as I did not return here until now.

I started BMXing circa '79 IIRC on my converted Grifter riding in the Epping Forest area, that's when I first met Dave Curry (and Jason Dawes) aged 11/12 in the 'Triangle' in the Buckhurst Hill/Woodford Green area - we all rode together pretty much solidly for the next five years or so, mainly in the local areas (Epping Forest, hollow ponds etc) but Sundays were always spent at ROM - on the District Line to Elm park by tube, riding with the old names that many will know - Marco, Billy Stupple etc.

The pics above were taken by another guy we rode with (Pete) at the Triangle, me balancing on the bars or doing 'parachutes' as we always called them, sometimes landed some of those jumps - as many will remember BITD we always seemed to jump and then land on the flat - no wonder the old knees are fooked.

Dave seemed very cool and 'American' when I first met him - every summer he went to the States - he had so much of the latest stuff and used to get the odd part for us, even my first Vans.

Anyway, the Haro was a replacment for my PK Ripper which was nicked from it's first visit to ROM about 2 weeks into ownership.  As can be seen it came from Faze 7 and the first batch in I think.  I always built bikes with odd mix of parts in various colours!

The Elina Lightening Bolt saddle was actually the original one I had on my Grifter conversion...

The seat clamp was hacked from an old Sugino stem, I can remember getting the rear Tuff as a warranty replacement after the original cracked on some stupidly high late Sunday afternoon  ROM 'parachutes' out the of the Performance bowl.  I remember doing a coaster brake conversion on it too.  And I can still remember buying the Bottema forks at Action Bikes in London and coming home in Dave's dad's Grenada estate...

I stopped riding BMX around '84 maybe earlier, the bike stayed with me totally untouched* until 2006 when I finally had to make the big decision to move it on or it would just stay rotting away further in the garden.

*edit: except for the welding  - this happened around 1989 when a 'garage mate' of a friend (Richard - from the Bike Shed in Woodford - otherwise known as Tattoo Man to us kids BITD) was lined up to weld the gussett  - yep, I was pretty shocked when it came back looking like that...

That's it really - onto eBay it went and the rest is history.  I still have the number plate though and my Bob Haro signed JT Racing hat from the 1982 Bike Show at Earls Court.  Very happy days.  :)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:45 PM by Max-Felix »

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Love the photo's  8)

Nice story too  :daumenhoch:

Offline kang

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Cool

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Cool resto thread this  :daumenhoch:

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10 PM »
That is. 1st class restoration.
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Top resto skills  :4_17_5: .... though i have to admit i prefer it how it was. Super cool survivor  :smitten:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 07:27 PM »
I love this bike in both its carnations  :daumenhoch: Survivors r really grownig on me 2 b honest  :D

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 10:27 PM »
A top thread already of a top bike ( for me)

Just got better with you reply Max Felix :daumenhoch:

Thanks for posting the history

Any pics ,out of interest ?

Offline Max-Felix

• Rated:
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Cheers guys.   ;)

Many of the pics are on the front of this topic or in the other ones linked but I'll put them all together from my originals and a bit larger too.

Here are some pics of the bike when I first sold it on eBay:

This is me abusing it at the 'Triangle' as above (some of Dave too)

Apart from the memories not much left except the plate I still have together with the hat signed by Bob Haro at Bike '82, I'm not sure who the other signature was but I remember Stu Thomson and Andy R. being there...

And what must be quite a rare Tee, these were made to commerate the closing of Corona Raceway in the US:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:27 PM by Max-Felix »

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Very cool pics, would love a survivor like that, over-restored ones are 2 a penny  :-X
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Very cool pics, would love a survivor like that, over-restored ones are 2 a penny  :-X

X2 - Love the way the gusset's been rewelded with the nearby decals still on n'all. Proper good.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 10:51 PM »
it was the ultimate survivor that bike was.
loved it the first time i seen it at MK years back.
shame it got restored as it was the coolest bike i ever saw  8)
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 11:36 PM »
Cracking thread that.  8)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

rodriguez

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 12:27 AM »
Do you regret selling it Max Felix   :-\

Offline Max-Felix

• Rated:
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Do you regret selling it Max Felix   :-\

Hi, well not really TBH, at the time I had to really, just not practical to keep it.  I'm pleased it has had an interesting history since I sold it on after 25 years ownership.

For me, BMX, in those early '80 years like many here was my whole life and were incredibly happy times but you have to move on.   :)

Obviously once I sold it I quite rightly have no say in what happens to it and as for being restored and it therfore leaving behind all it's history and life in that way......well......of course I have an opinion but I could not possibly comment... ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:56 PM by Max-Felix »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 04:33 PM »
wasnt me haha i left it as was,when pepe died we needed to raise some money to pay for the headstone
so fittingly i felt what a good way of doing it so auctioned the bike off...it did get a prize for best survivor the day after i picked it up..3rd i think.

Offline Max-Felix

• Rated:
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2020, 01:29 PM »
Guys, please forgive the resurrection but getting more nostalgic as I get older and dug up this old topic again to see the pics gone.  Here they are again, I'm starting to regret selling more as the years march on.

But the way current BMX prices are if I stripped and sold the parts now I'd be a lot better off than the ?200 odd it fetched 15 years ago.  :)

Offline Max-Felix

• Rated:
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2020, 01:30 PM »
More...

Offline Max-Felix

• Rated:
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2020, 01:31 PM »
And...

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2020, 02:44 PM »
Makes you wonder.. "where are they now" ?

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2020, 03:40 PM »
Great to read back through this thread and see some old names. Ahh, back in the day, like one big happy family. ❤️❤️

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Max-Felix

• Rated:
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Forgot these too - the bits I have left - my old plate, JT hat signed by Mr Bob at Bike '82 Earls Court (and someone else signed it - remember Stu T, Harry L and Mr Ruffell being there too??).  And a pretty rare Tee I guess - made to commemorate the end of Corona Raceway.  Design by Bob H too.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:58 PM by Max-Felix »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  for those that miss n2cus

gfxgfx
gfx gfx