gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 05:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  mongoose californian 84 restoration.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mongoose californian 84 restoration.  (Read 5731 times)

wirewheel

mongoose californian 84 restoration.
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:57 PM »

joe an old client of mine when i was working in the guitar shop called me to ask if i wanted to buy his old bike as i he knew i'd opened a bmx shop, and wanted it to go to the right sort of person to restore it and show it back to its former glory so heres what i gave £30 for

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/risetothunder/bmx/mongoose%20restoration/

it has renthal seatpost and pro class looseball suzue wheels  mongoose stamped sugino crank
frame serial is m4c15083
 if anyone can tell me if its a super or a cali i'd appreciate it, forks stamped hi ten, i'm going to need some tyres as the thing came with solid tyres on not og for sure. also will need a decal set but will need to confirm bike id first, and a padset and some foil for the rims, the bars are crushed at the stem too so will maybe have to get some bars if its a rider,  i don't want to go nuts buying crazy priced stuff for it as its gonna be a survivor build as far as i'm concerned. it only turned up yesterday i stripped it down today heres some pics of the parts and the polishing job in store.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:17 PM by wirewheel »

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Its a cali

A supergoose has 3 holes in the brake bridge

Great buy at that price  :daumenhoch:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Not necessarily, could be a UK supergoose  :daumenhoch:

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Sorry, craigs right, its a 84 cali :daumenhoch:

wirewheel

thanks chaps it has just the slot in the brake bridge so joe was right a cali, its in a right state i dont know where to start hahahahahaha.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
that's well cool! And for £30 its a bargain!!  You can't beat an old goose  :smitten:

She'll come up a treat  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
March '84 Californian - Bit of rust removal and polishing and that will come up a treat  :daumenhoch:

Cheng Shin comp3 pattern tyres if you want orignal spec.

And for rim foil try this........

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/ed1835/m.html?_nkw=19mm+foil+ribbon&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

I've used the red and compared side by side with some original it's as close as you will find to the original look  :daumenhoch:

PS........... Bargain !

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

wirewheel

Re: mongoose california 84 resto
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:57 AM »
hey thanks for the foils pointer what a bargain, been a busy bee last night autosol party hahahaha.

needs bars  :( the goose ones were shagged. different grade of chrome to the frameset rusty as hell and dented crossbar and crushed clamp area

also needs decals, progress-

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
looking sweet!  talk to Jimmyp for decals  :daumenhoch:

wirewheel

cheers pickle jimmy p pm'd. bars bars bars ????????????? padset????????????? anyone got some 80s renthal bars?

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Re: mongoose californian 84 restoration.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Looks like it has cleaned up a treat mate  :daumenhoch:

The Foil John gave you the link too is spot on  , used it myself  ;)

Looking forward to the next update !
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

xGoose

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 01:53 PM »
^+1  :daumenhoch:

And what a bargain!

wirewheel

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 06:34 PM »

just built the wheels, made a bloody good guess on spoke sizes as they were 4 cross originally (not interlaced?) used 188 on the front and 186 on the rear, the rims are far from perfect, front aint so bad but rear has a few flat spots/dings but its rideable, i aint going sick spending a fortune on this hence black spokes from shop stock. and ordered green foil for the rims, don't all shout sacrilige at once!!!! still needs some bars as the og bars are fooked. not bothered what really just an half decent set of 2 piece will do me as long as decent chrome plate and chromoly. plus the repolished stem is hiding in there, just need to do the pedals, seat  yak and the brakes, may use an old 901 i have knocking round as this will be a rider. check how rusty them old spokes were  :wtf: aint even thinking of restoring them hahaha may trade the lee chi calipers and one lever for some bars any takers? theres a blue tech 3 in there too. not sure tho i certainly am not going to run a front brake on it. may be a bit weird to ride too as the top tube is 2 1/2" shorter than my ns ride hahaha.

Offline Macmania

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Great job.....looks sweet  :daumenhoch:

I'll have a closer look when I pop in for a couple of inner-tubes  :LolLolLolLol:
Wanted: Anything MT Racing

wirewheel

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:54 PM »
hahaha thats gotta be 2 tubes hahahaha.

Offline Macmania

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 06:57 PM »
The one and only  :coolsmiley:

wirewheel

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 08:24 AM »
i did the pedals and seat last night, seat aint gleaming but better and the things deformed anyway pedals look sweet tho we love autosol and wire wool coca cola and elbow grease.

so mr macmania can i come an old school meet with you now i have joined the old school resto club??? no way am i riding the damn thing tho, show me yer foxes!!!

18 1/2" top tube yikes.

Offline Macmania

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 06:24 PM »
i did the pedals and seat last night, seat aint gleaming but better and the things deformed anyway pedals look sweet tho we love autosol and wire wool coca cola and elbow grease.

so mr macmania can i come an old school meet with you now i have joined the old school resto club??? no way am i riding the damn thing tho, show me yer foxes!!!

18 1/2" top tube yikes.

Of course you can  :daumenhoch: We will have a chat when I pop in for "some you know what's". Check out the foxes in the Museum under MT Racing  ;)

wirewheel

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 07:51 AM »
waiting for decals tyres and foils then its building time. come on postman.

wirewheel

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 05:09 PM »

foils came decided against nos tyres for now bunged some revenge pinners on kinda goes with the green hahahaha i love revenge stuff especially the weed t shirts hahaha.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  mongoose californian 84 restoration.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx