gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 11:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Coaster to Freewheel Conversion
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway Coaster to Freewheel Conversion  (Read 4386 times)

xGoose

Skyway Coaster to Freewheel Conversion
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:33 PM »
I picked up a steel hub coaster brake Tuff II the other day. I've stripped it and started to clean it.

I didnt even think about it before but can these be converted to use a freewheel? (because thats what I need.)

Any advice appreciated, cheers  :daumenhoch:

Here a pic of it.

moley

Re: Skyway Coaster to Freewheel Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:01 PM »
You can use an acs freecoaster kit to convert it to a freewheel.

Its switchable too so you can use it as a coaster or freewheel by twiddling ya two knobs.

Or

You can use washers to space out the internals so that your coaster becomes inoperable.

http://www.free-coaster.com/html/classic_coaster-brakes.html

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=99392

xGoose

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Cheers for that info, thats what I was hoping for.

Its a Suntour coaster brake, do you reckon that this ACS would be OK for the job? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350349600044&ih=022&category=160917&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

;)

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 10:27 PM »
The only draw back of the freecoaster is it Offsets the rear wheel by quite a bit.
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

moley

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Cheers for that info, thats what I was hoping for.

Its a Suntour coaster brake, do you reckon that this ACS would be OK for the job? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350349600044&ih=022&category=160917&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Thats the one!!

I have a spare NOS one ya can have for £15 (if I can find it in my attic!!).    Vert-ego is flogging them at £22 + postage.

The only draw back of the freecoaster is it Offsets the rear wheel by quite a bit.

Good point!!

They are a chunky freewheel due to the extra gubbins to switch from coaster to freewheel.

So I'd check that your wheel will fit in your dropouts with plenty of room from side to side otherwise it wont fit or your wheel wont be central.

If you want I could send you my other acs freecoaster that I tried to fit to some new coaster Tuffs (dont fit new only old alloy hubbed tuffs).   That way if you have any problems you can just send me it back and all it would cost you is the postage and if it works then you can pay me!!

xGoose

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:42 AM »
Im going to check a old lbs near me at the weekend. Hes normally got all these weird and useful bits (if you can find em in the shop!)

Moley Im in Hong Kong till July so if I cant get one here I'll grab yours if thats OK. Thanks for the help guys.  :daumenhoch:

Dan

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Quick one matey, that kit on ebay is/was for a shimano coaster brake, but you'll be needing the one they made for the suntour / bendix version.

The helical driver bits (which your sprocket goes onto) are different on each kit - they are different lengths (shimano one is a lot longer with a smaller threaded diameter).

Brian  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:45 AM by brianp »

moley

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Mine are both Suntour/Bendix!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:48 AM »
 :daumenhoch:

(to be honest, the one on ebay is the first shimano version of the f/c I have ever seen  ;D)

Brian :)

xGoose

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 01:42 AM »
I checked at my lbs over the weekend but they didnt have one, they could only dig out some Shimano coaster brakes.

So Moley I'll take you up on that, pm'd. thanks for info lads  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Coaster to Freewheel Conversion

gfxgfx
gfx gfx