gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 03:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  PK Ripper, dropout savers and chain tuggage. Best solution!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PK Ripper, dropout savers and chain tuggage. Best solution!!  (Read 6406 times)

moley

I'm gonna eventually build my PK XL up and it would need dropout savers to pad out the axle and protect the dropouts.

I would like to use chaintugs for added safety as it will be used on the track at some point.

I have a pair of the top hat washers for the rear axle and I have seen the full dropout slider insert jobbies.

I could possibly use one of the old metal chaintugs as a washer from the inside of the dropout but they are fugly. 

I'd prefer a more elegant solution that would fit from the outside.

Any suggestions?

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Re: PK Ripper, dropout savers and chain tuggage. Best solution!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 01:05 AM »
i use two methods   1....14 mm tugs with an insert on the axle ,14 to 10mm, just slightly thinner than the width of the tug,  primo used to do nice lollypop tug ,the washer bit is about 40mm accross great for alloy frames, nice wide stopper to 8mm nyloc nut ,,  method 2   this ones on my current rider  a wheel with 14mm axel , ive slotted the axel down to 10mm or os size is it 3/8ths?    so that the it fits in the dropout  the hardware on a 14mm axel is big enough to stop a dinting on the ally  on the inside, and the axel is strong enough to stand loseing 2mm of each side,, then used the primo tug on the outside , tightens up like a nuns.....  often thought about makin bigger tugs for ally frames  ,,, anyone got a lathe i can borrow?    :LolLolLolLol:   

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:48 AM »
i have them big sliding washer thingys on my 99 ally quad and as long as you tighten the the wheel nuts tight enough you wont need the chain tugs....

R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:14 AM »
get the Helix drop out savers and they'll do the job perfectly, as Sam says, do them up tight enough (but not over tight) and bobs your uncle  :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

moley

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:56 AM »
The Helix website says they only fit looptails.

I have a 90's OS legal PK Ripper XL.   ???

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Might be worth checking if they didn't have two sizes available ?

Anyhow I have some on a late eighties PK (so same dropouts than yours Iain) they fit like on Sam's retro quad

moley

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:34 AM »
There are two sizes but I'll have to check my dropouts to make sure they fit!!

:daumenhoch:

sam hudson

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Can you buy Helix dropouts in the UK or do you have to get them from the USA?? Got my Quad coming in a few days time and it can take aaaagggggessss to get stuff posted from over the pond?

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:20 PM »
I filed off the stupid retainer bumps at the end of the dropout slots so I could slide the top hat washers inside the dropouts and use a Profile Chaintug on the outside.
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

sam hudson

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Thats another question...what happened to top hat washers?? I can't find them anywhere ? I got a set for my 2005 Ripper but I can't find a set on ebay or anywhere else...any ideas?

Filed your frame  :shocked: blimey!

sam hudson

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Just answered my own question...doh  :uglystupid2: Got a set of front and rear top hats from Vert-ego.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  PK Ripper, dropout savers and chain tuggage. Best solution!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx