gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 08:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Standard copy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Standard copy  (Read 14325 times)

scott250

Standard copy
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Any one know anything about who made those standard copies?  been one one ebay for ages.  Think they sold for around £100 bitmid :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMX-FRAME-Standard-Shorty-Copy-Mid-School-Chrome-/400101954018?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5d27ef51e2

bmxbert

Re: Standard copy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:47 PM »
got a feeling they are heavy tools screamers withthe decals removed... khe were heavy tools i think.  :daumenhoch:

nomad

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:35 AM »
I dont know of any other standard copies other than the Heavy Tools stuff. I would like a Ruler, which i believe was a sta copy

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:02 AM »
bmxbert's right, I had a Screamer and I'm sure the dropouts were the same.
Very nice frame, neat welds and strong as you like, worth £40 in new condition.

skidmark

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I remember those heavy tools which were similar to the Shorty(didn't they have a bend in the seatstay?) but I also have a faint memory of a shop selling standard copy frames in the old Ride mags, maybe try finding some 95ish mags and check the shop ads? I reckon they were sold as "shorty copy" frames...someone have a flick through yer old mid 90s Ride mags and check!

scott250

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:06 PM »
cheers all.  Anyone ever ride a shorty?  I had one for a month or so - bought it off a mate to sell on, but I thought I'd see what they were like to ride.  They were really short, 360s were far too easy on them ;D .  Nice to ride, but eye, well short.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11 PM »
the cyclesport sold shorty copies  caused problems in the late 90s as they got stickered up as shortys tut tut
dragonfly also did a similar variation even with the pierced top tube .very similar  the one in the links cyclesport copy.
i think the head stocks the wrong size for most head sets 1" ...jap 1"  strange old size.

scott250

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Thought I had a clip of me riding the shorty -

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/download.cgi'mem_id=86512&fil_unique=Q4Scz9TM228AAGrhre4
scroll down + press play - you might have already seen this in the Ayton thread.  Its like about the 5th rider - cancan, table, 360 then a nofooted manual to some kind of daft no handed ride off, haha  :P (who said riders had no style in the 90s)  Some clips of Ayton on it - mid school action and bikes.  I'm also on my chrome sta + dirt bike - filmed over 4 years or so I think.

J-P McCoy

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Hi,

If you're still interested in this frame, give bmxcity a call, they're the ones selling it. Its always the same guy that answers the phone, he's a good guy, very helpful!

mattuk

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 12:31 PM »
just some info on these i bought one other week from bmx city and they sent the wrong frame

which turned out to be a heavy tools ruler :O   and a full stickerset was sent to me after as an apology, i kept it anyway and they sent me the "shorty "one for a cheaper price to compensate!

anyway   once that arrived i compared it to my genuine standard shorty copy and there are a few differances which made me think this has to be a "heavy tools screamer!

looked at the serial number underneath and first two letters just to left of the number are a   H AND T       so that 99% me its a screamer!

they have a couple left if anyone still wants one and a ruler too with full decal set ready to stick on    :D

spesh

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 01:17 PM »
i was thinking of getting one for my nipper but can you verify whether they have a standard 1" headset or iis it a jap one as above

mattuk

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:55 PM »
i think just a normal 1 inch one?

ive just put a second hand 1 inch headset and fishbone x-ufo on mine and went on ok si guessing fine

i have 2 shorts copies if you wanna buy one of mine?    im keeping the other though and gonna try get some heavy tools screamer stickers somehow

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Heavy tools weren't the only company to copy standards. The xposure ox was based on the lengthy. And I don't think the dmr trigger was too far away either.

Testament to how good standards are!

mattuk

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 05:37 PM »
i have 3 of these frames from bmx city/cycle sport and they all have codes beneath the Bottom bracket saying     HT 01  , HT 02  or  HT 03    followed by a serial number

too much of a coincidence NOT to be heavy tools surely???

Offline EddieJT

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I was doing some Heavy Tools Ruler research........thought I'd chip in with my HT Ruler having "HT - B01" on the bottom bracket.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 10:22 AM »
I have various platform frames from various manufacturers that all have a massive nod towards Standards of the time.

They are all for sale if anyone's interested. 

For anyone who doesn't know my story, my collection went through the fire at Rom a couple of years ago so these pieces do now have some interesting patina...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Standard copy

gfxgfx
gfx gfx