gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 12:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rebel UK - Info......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rebel UK - Info......  (Read 2166 times)

(((sonic)))

Rebel UK - Info......
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Evening/Morning Lads,

Am chasing a bit of advice, I think i have asked before but did not receive a response....

I have a set of "Rebel" bars that i will soon be trading/selling but have no idea on there origin (except that they are from the UK) I understand that they dont have any affiliation with the US company Rebel, am i correct......

I am also guessing they are more of a flatland/freestyle bar than race,....what are your thoughts.....

Anyone have any idea on year etc?

Im a tad lost.............

All help would be greatly appreciated  :daumenhoch: as these things are new to me and they where not that big down under, the bars are NOS with a bit of shop wear, see pic below.....

B

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Rebel UK - Info......
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Blimey B, this ones going round the houses!!!  Danny Whiteley is your man for info on these babes.  But you are correct in that they supercede the US Rebel company by a few years and have no affiliation with them at all.

Rebel made everything from race through to freestyle, those bars you have a a take on the CW Pro race bars and they would be from c.1982/83.

Here's an advert...

Your bars are in chrome and on the bottom left of the pic  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

(((sonic)))

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:03 AM »
Cheers Marty, sorry to annoy but i am about to get rid of them and have no idea on them, these will be up for trade soon.................

God man  :daumenhoch:

Ben

daz bmx it!

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:06 PM »
I had a chrome nos set,see em in on my Rebel in the mooooseum :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:24 PM »
I think ive owned all the Rebels they made (apart from that bizzare competition prize posted recently) and love the brand due to my mate having a Rebel Pro Race while I was primary school (I had an Ironhorse for reference...lol).

Currently still own a Rebel Freestyler (twin top tube model) and a Pro Race, not buying anymore but always interested in whats about. 

Rebel existed early 80's (82ish) to around 88/89ish.  Based near Telford and produced initially race frames and bars and later moved into Freestyle (as did everyone).  All parts manufactured from Reynolds 531.  F/F's retailed at £100-115 for the race frames with later Freestylers available from £79 (went up against DP - and lost).  You can find bars/frames/seat posts/pads/plates in a variety of styles as seen in that advert, but dont surface that often.

I do beleive they later got hit with a potential lawsuit and had to change their logo (due to it ripping off Revel models), though ive never seen any hard evidence of this other than the logo we all know and love was never advertised in magazines after about 86.  It changed to a scrawled Rebel font with the confed flag.

Regarding your bars, they are indeed the same as the ones Daz had in chrome,

The frame/forks/bars then went to Phil (Sawzall):

and then on to me (swapped for my Rebel Cruiser frame/forks), although Phil kept hold of the bars.

Nice bars, nice brand (imo) but not massively sought after so I reckon £40-50 tops in non-mint condition.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:34 PM by dannywhiteley »

(((sonic)))

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:16 AM »
Danny,

That was exactly the info i was after, thanks so much mate  :daumenhoch:

I dont think i will ever utilise them so may have to whack em on eBay....

Nice ride by the way  :P

B

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rebel UK - Info......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx