gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 18, 2024, 10:49 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting BB tips anyone?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fitting BB tips anyone?  (Read 2674 times)

Jazzchimp

Fitting BB tips anyone?
« on: August 18, 2005, 10:37 PM »
Apart from smacking with a 20lb lump hammer, anyone got any nifty tricks to make the job easier?

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Fitting BB tips anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 10:49 PM »
A bb press (i personally think these take the fun out of building)

Lay the frame on the grass with the BB on a bit of wood, place the top cup in the frame and put another bit of wood on the top to hold it in place and then smack it EVENLY.

I have only struggled once.

But, its more fun when the hole is tight.

Jazzchimp

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 10:57 PM »
not sure about the words cup, wood, grass, smack, hole and tight cunjure up the right images for me!

The-flying-banana

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 11:19 PM »
Jazzy sand the paint from the bb brt on the frame and then grease em before installation also i like boiling water poured on the frame just before i put em in ;)

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 01:47 PM »
Have a quick question on a similar subject. Which way around are the bearings supposed to sit? Open side of the race facing out or in? I know it sounds a dumb question but they seem to fit either way. This question applies to H/Set bearings too. Thanks lads!

birdieman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 08:06 PM »
JAZZ, The wood and the hammer on the grass is the way i did it ,followed by squeezing them in the vice!!

motomagII

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 08:20 PM »
orbs spot on as usual 2 lumps of wood and hammer .works every time no probs

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 09:09 PM »
Make sure the frame is free of all paint and other crap on the contact areas, cups can be pressed in using a large vice and suitable protective packers, or as Orb rightly says, beat the sh!t out of them using wood and large hammer.

Usefull tip:  put cups in freezer night before fitting, they will contract just enough to make the job a load easier  ;)

daz bmx it!

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 09:41 PM »
Yep,hammer and wood every time! As a time served mechanic first thing i was taught,if it wont fit? don't force it,get a bigger Hammer! ;D

Chris

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 10:30 PM »

Can't disagree.

Dollarbill

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 10:10 AM »
Have a quick question on a similar subject. Which way around are the bearings supposed to sit? Open side of the race facing out or in? I know it sounds a dumb question but they seem to fit either way. This question applies to H/Set bearings too. Thanks lads!

Normally the closed side of the bearing faces against the cup. Bearings should only be installed after repeatedly pounding the cups with a large hammer, just to make sure they're installed proper.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 10:32 PM »
BITD I split a headtube on a GT Pro using large hammer & wood to fit a headset.
As for BB bearings-cups if they have alloy cups, I file them down so they fit in, with just a bit of interferance, they wont come loose as the cranks hold them all together & they are so much easier to remove.

spinmaster

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 08:27 PM »

isn't it always ;) ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting BB tips anyone?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx