gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 01, 2024, 06:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Spontaneous blow-out - Carlisle Aggressor
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Spontaneous blow-out - Carlisle Aggressor  (Read 1466 times)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Spontaneous blow-out - Carlisle Aggressor
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:29 AM »
Hmmmm... so it looks like I won't be using these tyres for the L2B charity bike ride after all.  >:(

My WHEELS Pro is built up and ready to go, and having built it up before I left for work (3 weeks ago) I carried the bike up into the room above my garage and pumped the tyres up, mainly to check for leaking valves etc.... in my absence.

Rach popped up above the garage for something yesterday and discovered that the rear tyre had burst.... and not in a subtle way either! It looks as though the inner tyre strands must have failed/rotted through over time. You can see the MOHOOSIVE tear in the treaded area, and how the inner strands have kind of pulled out from a way inside the tyre itself and been blown out. It is not like a straight cut, but jagged-edged. Strangely the inner tube which is brand new, has also burst and has the same 2inch hole. Must have gone with a right old bang. It does get very very hot up there in that room so that may also have something to do with it?

Arseflakes.

Has anybody else seen a tyre fail like this before?

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Spontaneous blow-out - Carlisle Aggressor
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Had old tyres go a few times, usually side walls. Got some at the mo where the rubber rubs off like a pencil eraser. Should be interesting when it finaly goes  :LolLolLolLol:

what pressure were you running?
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 11:49 AM »
I can't remember off the top of my head, but they weren't even fully inflated (still soft to squeeze). I only really partially inflated them to check for any leaks whilst I was away and would have properly pumped them up before riding it. They would have probably failed much more spectacularly had I been taking it for a spin!

explosion

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 03:50 AM »
Seen tyres go like that before, it's where the carcass has broken down between the rubber and the carcass possibly from the way they have been stored or fitted and not kept pumped up  putting a crease kn the carcass, putting more than 40psi doesn't help either as that puts a strain on a weakened carcass and air will find the weakest spot if there is too much pressure. 

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline GRAB ON KID

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 04:43 AM »
Had the same happen w/a NOS Cycle Pro snakebelly that took years to find.It wasn't fully blown either & it was a hot summer day.Was tinkering w/the bike in the garage & left to get a drink & heard it explode from the kitchen.Thought it was the boiler blowing up as it was so fooking loud.Came back to find the beading was completely ripped out about 7" around the rim & the tube was practically torn in half.Totally gutted but that's always the risk we take w/OS tires.Any weakness in the structure & the tube bubbles through it and  explosion ! .....the tire's gone! You can't tell  just  by looking at the tire  either as checked mine throughout when i received it & it seemed totally sound.

Also had my OG pair of  70's Oakley gen 1 goggles  w/ matching Star Wars mask that was kept in storage for years.Then bought an old Electro lid like i had BITD & wanted to restore it as a centre piece for the man cave.I took the goggles out of the packaging & the frames just crumbled in my hands into tiny bits!  >:(  Rubber & certain plastics just don't age well unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:27 PM by GRAB ON KID »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 08:47 AM »
Had it happen to one of mine while it was sat in the car at MK a few years back, must've been the heat.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys - at least it's not just me and I feel slightly better knowing that it isn't a totally unusual thing. It has got me worried about using OG tyres for the L2B ride though. I am thinking about going for 1 1/8 Panaracers now as I have a few pairs kicking about. I would hate for the same thing to happen en route to Brighton though  :(

GRAB ON KID - one of my most annoying experiences ever involves a pair old Oakleys. Back in the late 80's I managed to talk my folks into buying me a pair of Oakley Mumbo Sweeps to take on a school skiing trip. They were the iridium lens ones with the floro splatter frame. Pretty cool at the time but horribly dated now. Luckily, I am also horribly dated now too, so I dug them out a few years thinking they would be retro-cool to reintroduce to my snowboarding wardrobe. I have a few pairs of Cazals so I thought they would go well with my vintage collection :coolsmiley:

Unfortunately the iridium coating on the lens had degraded and could literally be scraped off using reasonable finger pressure. I contacted Oakley directly and they said even though they were old they could remove the lens and recoat it for me (free of charge) so off they went in the post.

I was mega excited when an Oakley parcel arrived a couple of months later, but upon opening the package I was gutted to discover that they had replaced my original 80's sunnies with a new, modern pair, accompanied by about 3 different replacement lenses. No explanation, nothing.

I called them up and asked what the fook was going on, and I was told that they had supposedly damaged my original 80's frame when trying to remove the lens so had thrown the lot away and sent me a replacement.

I know how rare my original model was so even now I still think they are sat somewhere either in their own factory collection or one of the workers is walking around in them. Barstools.  :( I still haven't managed to locate a replacement pair like them either....

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Had the same thing happen to an IRC Racer tyre explosion

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Spontaneous blow-out - Carlisle Aggressor

gfxgfx
gfx gfx