gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 09:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  mods we did bitd
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mods we did bitd  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: mods we did bitd
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 01:07 PM »
I used an old number plate, a hacksaw and some heat on the gas hob to make a plastic cover for the "ugly" seat clamp set-up on my Skyway Freestyle Platform.

Then sent a pic to BMX Action Bike Magazine and it was featured in the letters column  :)

I aint got a copy of the mag though so if some one has a scan of it I'd like to see it after all this time  :daumenhoch:
any idea what year? i may have it.

84/85 I think buddy  :daumenhoch: I pretty much got the platform as soon as it was released if that's any help  :daumenhoch:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 06:30 PM »
found it, december 84.

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 07:18 PM »
tied a scarf across my chopper hangies to make it look more like a bmx :D

boolocks , that scarf was used as a lasso to pinch the grannies purses ya shifty fooker

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58 PM »

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 01:42 AM »
found it, december 84.

:4_17_5: :4_17_5:

Quality mate... ya just made my day  :daumenhoch:

super mat

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 11:37 PM »
lolly sticks in the brake calipers was what we used to do bitd.they would make a noise like the peg and the playing card until they snapped or fell out.also a freind of mine got his dad to make and weld a stand plate to his stinger styler.he also made him some cw style bars,but they were nearly twice the size  :LolLolLolLol:

jp-rebel

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 03:06 AM »
Yeah my mates Dad made CW Bars for him and his brother,they were awful a dead square 'U' with a dead straight cross bar, I also used make decals out of sticky back plastic,stuck skateboard grip-tape on my frame and my dad used to get knurled trick nuts made for me at his engineering firm.
Lovin this thread  8)

retrogeezer

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 10:24 PM »
we used to clamp our wonderlights to a spoke on our tuffs with the light facing outwards so it would flash on the ground as it went round..

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 10:31 AM »
we used to clamp our wonderlights to a spoke on our tuffs with the light facing outwards so it would flash on the ground as it went round..

hahaha I remember doing that too  ;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Chris Youngs dad (Dave RIP) built this side hack (No 5) from scratch in his lock up garage and Billy, Chris and me raced it at Earls court, fook it was heavy  :LolLolLolLol:
pic is Billy and Chris
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:01 PM by 58delray »

Rooonga

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 12:57 PM »
My dad had a lathe at home, so I made loads of "stunt nuts" and also flex fighters.

The flex fighters were very good TBH, and I wish I had kept the ones I got rid of.

sweetbeats

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Best Mod i Did was after reading a bmx mag on making seats lighter drill my aero seat with my Dads hand drill-looked a fookin mess but in my mind made my tuff burner go like lightning  :D

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 01:47 PM »
i drilled a pair of race inc leading axle forks to take a front brake (fook knows why  :LolLolLolLol:) so if anyne comes across a drilled set with the hole very slightly off centre they are mine  ;D

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 12:49 AM »
i drilled a pair of race inc leading axle forks to take a front brake (fook knows why  :LolLolLolLol:) so if anyne comes across a drilled set with the hole very slightly off centre they are mine  ;D

I did the same at Christmas 1983 , drilled my undrilled Gt Nora forks  :idiot2:

they're not gonna turn up anywhere in the future though , I snapped em launching my bike up our Quarterpipe and bailing  :crazy2:sometime in  85

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 06:56 AM »
My dad never had the 'tools for the job' so it was always a struggle  >:(

Used to make wheel discs out of big sheets of plastic my dad from some trade show display... frame plates as well to go in the middle triangle - never had any cable ties though! string or those freezer bag ties... with the wire in ... GHETTO!

Copper pipe laybacks ... epic fail that one.

Did what Action Bike said an 'hammered bits of tube onto wheelnuts to make pegs' ... another fail.

Had one of those Speedwheels Spinner rotor things ... they used to stick and pull the brake on when you turned so we put longer brake adjusters running up from the bottom clamp towards the rotor which stopped the cable moving with the rotor.

Pre BMX I 'made' some bars with no cross bar into a stunning pair of 'Renthals' with a sprayed bit of wooden dowel and electrical tape  8)

I made my Puch Invader into a Skyway TA ... had to just settle for a paint job and decals after my dad talked me out of squashing all the frame tubes in a vice first to make them TA  :idiot2:

Got a welder!
- Made a Quarterpipe out of pig farrowing crates - cut every bit with a hacksaw for weeks after school as my dad refused to by an angle grinder - heavy as fook that beast was - dropped it on my dads toe and he hopped around swearing as my and my mates trying not to laugh.
- made an axel with wheels to tow the QP around - one wheel fell off on the way back from a demo  :laugh:
- Made a Univega Freestyle frame into a Scooter when the article appeared in RAD - that was pretty good  :angel:

Gypsy farm bowy  :LolLolLolLol:

PS. drilled my c o c k ( accidently ) while putting rails on a skateboard... story for another time  :-X
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:00 AM by ED209 »
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Rooonga

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Quality!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  mods we did bitd

gfxgfx
gfx gfx