gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 10:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sturmey Archer Gearing on a BMX.........I'm not crazy BTW!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sturmey Archer Gearing on a BMX.........I'm not crazy BTW!!  (Read 10511 times)

moley

Re: Sturmey Archer Gearing on a BMX.........I'm not crazy BTW!!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 02:25 PM »
This could be a trendsetter!!  ;D

moley

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Check the number of spokes on ya shopper!!

I want it on decent 36h rim coz it might end up on a 24" after the Falcon Pro Flyer experiment!!

moley

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 02:44 PM »
every time you selected '2nd' going up the slightest incline the cranks would spin like it was in neutral and send you flying forwards - dangerous esp on a 2nd hand mk1 chopper with the gear knob missing (I'm lucky to still have gonads after riding with a metal skewer pointing at em for all that time)

I think the newer SunRace owned Sturmey Archer Hubs dont have eliminated the notorious neutral setting problem, according to various cycling forums and Sheldons website.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Here you go Mongey  :-*, you want the 171.2mm axle version which has 113mm axle spacing, which if you needed to you can use smaller lockrings on to make it 110 ish but 113 should be fine

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product2.asp?product_id=1596&pname=XRF5%205%20Speed%20hub

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 06:55 PM »

A lot of MTBers rate these, Shimano Alfine:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx'modelID=35102

Not sure if you'd get it to fit though.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 07:14 PM »
The smallest OLD (width) you can get to on an Alfine/Nexus is 125.4 (from 135mm), by changing lock nuts/spacers for the smallest available, I personally think you can get a further 5mm with some cheeky modding but 120 is the base width I'd say which would involve splaying the frame 10mm, not advisable really.

FFS...what have I become  :-[
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sturmey Archer Gearing on a BMX.........I'm not crazy BTW!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx