gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 02:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aero F&F of Unknown Origin
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Aero F&F of Unknown Origin  (Read 9288 times)

m5 paul

Aero F&F of Unknown Origin
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Guys, I have asked the question on another forum (bmxmuseum) but am not getting very far. I have just bought an early(ish) eighties (I think) aero F&F.

Bought it because I love the look but now I really want to find out exactly what it is. Want to build it up with a nice set of Arayas or Ukais, redline cranks etc etc - should look a cracker but just need to i.d. what the hell i have got myself.

Got a few pics (well, quite a lot) to try and help you guys pin a name to it.

Serial number

Dropouts

Rear end

Down tube, it is very tear-dropped in shape

Top tube is slightly oval

Welds are pretty good

Any help that you can offer would really be very appreciated.

Col

Re: Aero F&F of Unknown Origin
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:45 PM »
Very similar to the Tensor Foxbat I just got but it has twin top tubes.

Col.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Welds look like pretty mass production, no TIG fillets on the weld = low cost, so probably a generic frame and fork, made in Taiwan most likely.  Looks nice all teh same and would come up well with a little work  ;).

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:21 AM »
except for the tube between the chainstays ...................... Kosoku (sp?) Aero shark , which originally had a cool prismatic decal on the downtube  8)

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:34 AM »
it`s a Kosoku  as it was mine before i sold it on ebay and the buyer then removed the sticker`s and put as unknown ie torker what not see ad  ::)
no1stuntmaster on instagram

m5 paul

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17 AM »
That is awesome, cheers guys :daumenhoch: . I have seen an image somewhere of a Kosoku and those funky stickers. I think this frame is a lovely design. Anyone know any more about them? Going to do some more digging and try and get some stickers recreated.

I have just found the original ebay ad you had up as I had put a watch on that originally as i liked the frame ;D . What a dipstick, I had the info the whole time and never realised it :uglystupid2: .
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:38 AM by m5 paul »

m5 paul

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 11:09 AM »
it`s a Kosoku  as it was mine before i sold it on ebay and the buyer then removed the sticker`s and put as unknown ie torker what not see ad  ::)

Yes, have discovered he is a cheeky git. Oldskooldayz (ebay id) removed the stickers before reselling!!! He has asked me to let him know what it is when i find out!! Think I will get back in contact with him just to let him know that he does actually know what it is and could i have my stickers back ;D .

ozone

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:10 PM »

Yes, have discovered he is a cheeky git. Oldskooldayz (ebay id) removed the stickers before reselling!!! He has asked me to let him know what it is when i find out!! Think I will get back in contact with him just to let him know that he does actually know what it is and could i have my stickers back ;D .

From the ad...

i dont know the exact make of this frame but i have been told it is Torker or Akisu

I wonder who told him that?  Maybe it was Penry, the mild mannered janitor.   :-*

Rodgy1970

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 02:49 PM »
those f&f were also sold in UK as the aero freeway, i think it was by acorn.

bloud

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 07:00 AM »
I recently picked up one of these here in the U.S. I've never heard of Kosoku or Akisu before this. Pretty sure it's not Akisu, those were Taiwanese made right and different dropouts/welds etc. I have a Flying Rhino (a.k.a Rhino Axeblade) also and the welds are almost exactly the same. This makes me think they are Japan/Tange made? It's also likely different manufacturers purchased the raw "aero" tubing etc. Maybe why there's different drop outs, chain stays etc.

What I am pretty sure of is that mine looks exactly like a Norco Spitfire Turbo with out the head badge. http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/norco/13089

Here's mine.

waza04

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:09 PM »

i think he's a member on here too with the same name, drop him a pm!  ;D

oldskooldayz

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I am indeed a member on here and you can indeed drop me a pm

i sold the frame as i saw it and after much research on it myself could only find with some help that it was a torker or akisu framset

i took the stickers off it as i did intend to keep it as it is a really nice aero frame and thats the only reason so dont go shooting me down as a rip off merchant before you ask the question or know the facts

the buyer was really happy with the frameset and so he should be it is nice and really light

as i couldnt find any info on kosoku i thought it was just stickers that had been applied to it at some stage of its life as the serial was not viewable due to the paint job it had at some point in its life

anyway you bunch of hawks n vultures  ;D like i said ask first before shooting

and what i do with what is mine is really none of your business

M5 Paul you can pm me if you like and i will help in anyway possible

cheers

monkian

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 09:01 PM »
From the welds, I think it's a good shout by bloud that the white frameset could be Taiwanese made and the chrome Japanese made - not sure it would be Tange though without the BB stamp ???

sweetbeats

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 09:07 PM »
That has got Torker witten all over it -  :LolLolLolLol:

Rodgy1970

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 09:15 PM »
i sold the frame as i saw it and after much research on it myself could only find with some help that it was a torker or akisu framset

don't think you were trying to misrepresent it, if you were surely you'd have put "possibly raleigh aero pro" but torker, how'd you work that out  :-\

oldskooldayz

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 09:28 PM »
this will be my last response on this as im not really into the whole how could you say this n that or call it this or that thing

i did as thats what i was informed it might be and thats the only reason like i stated in the actual auction

its real funny how people love to jump on the band wagon and create a story about others when they actually have no involvement in the actual item itself other than a thread on a forum

so enjoy the rest of the ripping if thats the way its going

i could be a real A-hole and tell people about lots of things that sell in other places to members on here with other usernames on ebay and other forums but thats not me

so happy new year to you all and enjoy the witch hunt  :2funny:

bloud

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 12:01 AM »
Sorry if you read this in the other thread, but seems different folks are reading different threads.

Well the plot thickens a little :P.. I got the forks that were on the frame when found. They are in fact Tange, and exactly the same forks on my Flying Rhino.

Bendycat perhaps your conclusion is correct that it was Akisu made like Tange. Why? Just for sh!$'s and giggles here are three examples of drop out welds. First, the mystery frame, second Tange and third Akisu. Check out the difference between the mystery frame and an all "Akisu". They mystery frame is like 50/50, Tange on the outside, Akisu on the in.

Mystery Frame
Outside drop out welds

Inside drop out welds

Tange Frame
Outside drop out welds

Inside drop out welds

Akisu Frame
Outside drop out welds

Inside drop out welds

goosegp

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 06:22 PM »

i had a similar problem with an unknown aero frame last year, came to the conclusion it was an Acorn Freeway nice frame with very neat welds. (however its identical to blouds so might change my mind).
Paul sure yours isnt an Acorn as they didnt have the lower brace on the rear forks, i stand to be corrected. looks like an Akisu to me.

Rodgy1970

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42 PM »
An Acorn Freeway was a frame made by Akisu, Acorn being the name of the company that distributed them and Freeway being the name of the Frame and Fork set AFIAK.

The same frames where sold in the US as the Aero Shark which is what blouds might be.

m5 paul

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 06:51 PM »
I am indeed a member on here and you can indeed drop me a pm

i took the stickers off it as i did intend to keep it as it is a really nice aero frame and thats the only reason so dont go shooting me down as a rip off merchant before you ask the question or know the facts

the buyer was really happy with the frameset and so he should be it is nice and really light

as i couldnt find any info on kosoku i thought it was just stickers that had been applied to it at some stage of its life as the serial was not viewable due to the paint job it had at some point in its life

anyway you bunch of hawks n vultures  ;D like i said ask first before shooting

and what i do with what is mine is really none of your business

M5 Paul you can pm me if you like and i will help in anyway possible

cheers

I am indeed very happy with the F&F. It is very light and looks nicely made. The welds look good and I bought it for what it looks like, not what it is. But, Would still love to actually be able to pin a proper name to it or at the very least determine it manufacturer.

I am actually going to get the F&F blasted and then painted professionally in the same colour as my car which is a BMW colour called indianapolis red and then get black rims laced with black spokes etc etc - well, you get the picture.

Thank you guys so far for all your opinions. Keep them coming if you have any ideas etc as one day I would love to get to the bottom of what it really is.

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20 AM »
hi bro - gonna throw it up in the air again if you read a couple of pages here  ;D sorry mate

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=120316.0
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 11:37 PM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aero F&F of Unknown Origin

gfxgfx
gfx gfx