gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975528 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 05:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pedal fitting
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pedal fitting  (Read 2553 times)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Pedal fitting
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Trying to get these Hutch minis onto TA arms... the left went on with a bit more force than i should have used i think but the right aint going on at all.  It just about connects but then is just too tight to screw in.  I've cleaned the threads on both but still no good.  Pedals are 9/16's and other pedals screw on no problems.
I think its a problem with the pedals but what can i do?!  :-\

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Pedal fitting
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:41 PM »
You are putting them on the right arms I take it, the drive side has the normal right hand thread, and the left arm has the left hand thread  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:45 PM »
You are putting them on the right arms I take it, the drive side has the normal right hand thread, and the left arm has the left hand thread  :daumenhoch:

Yep, they are defo on the right arms.  The left is on, although it did wind out some metal from the arms while screwing in  :-\

bof

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Sounds like you have screwed the left one into the right hand one to me . have a look at the spindle is there a letter stamped on it . are you sure you have a right and left pedal are you sure you have a right and left crank arm ?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:56 PM »
Sounds like you have screwed the left one into the right hand one to me . have a look at the spindle is there a letter stamped on it . are you sure you have a right and left pedal are you sure you have a right and left crank arm ?

No, they are defo the right way.   I have screwed it into some flights, it's tight but does go.  and i've screwed other pedals into the crank arm no problems.  I compared the threads with others and they look the same.. and there aint no damage to them.  Can't frickin work it out   :-\

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:12 PM »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Checked, double checked and checked again.

100% the right spindle onto the right arm.  The left side is on fine.

it goes in one turn then jams up .. not going in anymore .. no way  :P

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:53 PM »
just to double check, have you tried other 9/16ths pedals in the arms and have you tried the hutch pedals in other arms?
then pedals that fit the ta arms in the arms that the hutch pedales fit?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00 PM »
just to double check, have you tried other 9/16ths pedals in the arms and have you tried the hutch pedals in other arms?
then pedals that fit the ta arms in the arms that the hutch pedales fit?

Yep .. all of that!  These pedals are a bit tight in other arms but they do go .. just not in these

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 08:14 PM »
i that case you may need to chase both male and female threads with proper 9/16 thread chasers then try again,
don't force the pedal in as you might not get it out again,
will check in a bit to see if i have the correct size thread chasers, if i have you can loan them  :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 08:20 PM »
for what its worth i had the same problem with some nos hutch beartraps, the threads were very tight when tightening, to the point i didnt tighten them in all the way, they were 100% going in the right side, all other pedals had no problem going in the same cranks....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28 PM »
i take it it's the RH side?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28 PM »
for what its worth i had the same problem with some nos hutch beartraps, the threads were very tight when tightening, to the point i didnt tighten them in all the way, they were 100% going in the right side, all other pedals had no problem going in the same cranks....

Yeah it's strange .. i'm questioning my own sanity here.. the other pedals i'm trying are Hutch too and they are ok .. just these ones  :-\

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 08:29 PM »

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 08:44 PM »
are they original axles terry  :-\

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 08:45 PM »
are they original axles terry  :-\

I think so .. although the left is marked "L" and there is nothing on the right .. but they are identical otherwise

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 06:11 AM »
I'd see if you can run a tap threader over the pedal axles just to be sure that they are OK, if they have been plted over that would affect the thread pitch, re-tapping them might clear it  :daumenhoch:.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 10:38 AM »
I'd see if you can run a tap threader over the pedal axles just to be sure that they are OK, if they have been plted over that would affect the thread pitch, re-tapping them might clear it  :daumenhoch:.

I think thats going to be my only option.  They are the og finish though, not plated .. and i've scrubbed them clean

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17 PM »

I think thats going to be my only option.  They are the og finish though, not plated .. and i've scrubbed them clean

I'd deffo try and get them re-tapped then if they are OG finish in raw  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pedal fitting

gfxgfx
gfx gfx