gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 12:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Insuring your collection
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Insuring your collection  (Read 398 times)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Insuring your collection
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Anyone here took out separate insurance for your collection?  My place got broke into a few weeks ago but they only managed to get in through a very small window and couldnt open the door still from inside .. pretty sure i'd have lost a fair bit if they'd have got a door open, as it happens they didn't take a thing.
Everyone keeps telling me i need to insure it all as it's mounting up and there is loads of high end stuff here.
Has anyone done it?  if so who did you use?  Did an adjuster come out to look or do they just insure against the value you tell them? .. tell all!

eamonn

Re: Insuring your collection
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:11 PM »
ive got a mate who runs a general insurance brokerage ill ask him

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 04:49 PM »
I've asked my father this who has been in insurance for 40 years.
Normally you can add bikes to your home contents. Most insurers wont want proof to their value.  However, problems will occur in the event of a claim eg: then you need to prove their value eg: a receipt.
Firstly you need photos to back any claim, not forgetting frame numbers if still visable.
If you had a watch for example, normally as you say you would have a current valuation. There could also be clauses by the insurer that they must be kept indoors (not a garage) if you are insuring for a high value and they must be padlocked together.
My fathers advice was ring your insurer and hear their views as to having no proof to a valuation. One thing he did say is do printouts of what bikes have sold for on ebay. You could use these as a form of proof and current values, backed by your photos.
If your insurer is still not interested pop into your local high street broker and they should point you in the right direction.
Hope this helps a bit.
 :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:23 PM »
I checked me house policy the other and my policy has a £1500 per bike with no number of bikes so I am safe at the moment :smitten:

moochalargo

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:23 AM »
Hmm I've been thinking the same! Got a MTB worth over 4k and my Curtis and floval are built with a pile of costly parts waiting for me to finish my next build! If it all went I'd be gutted to put it mildly! Time to get it sorted I think!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Insuring your collection

gfxgfx
gfx gfx