gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 02:08 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  bottom bracket confusion... help :)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bottom bracket confusion... help :)  (Read 6459 times)

mattuk

bottom bracket confusion... help :)
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:31 PM »
right ive got a standard shorty (amercian BB shell) ... i think?

and i have a haro fusion crank with the pinch bolts and a 19mm axle(threadless)

need to get a bottom bracket set in chrome/silver but havent got a clue what i need

i thought it was just an amercian sealed BB 19mm but cant find one anywhere on all of ebay.... which makes me think i am looking for the wrong thing?

seem to be able to find  mid 19mm sealed BB's but that about it

someone help me please lol    :D       i assumed i'd get what i needed for about £10-15

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:39 PM by Badbaldie »

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: bottom bracket confusion... help :)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:41 PM »
that's a euro b/b, You want a 19mm american b/b set, DK etc all make them  :daumenhoch:

Edit, the above link's now been fixed  :LolLolLolLol:  that's pricey though, they're normally around £15 to £20
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:44 PM by fugazi33 »
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

mattuk

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:47 PM »
thanks fellas,  anyone got any links to some cheaper ones lol

i can get a whole new 3 piece cranks which comes with a Bottom bracket/fittings for £39 lol   

was hoping something would come up for about £10-£15 :(

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:48 PM »
No, the cheapest generic I could get was £18 from my LBC. Once you've got it the replacement bearings can be had for the price of a pint  :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 05:55 PM »
yep that looks spot on

mattuk

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 05:58 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUSSET-USA-EXP-Sealed-BMX-Bottom-Bracket-Set-19mm-/120648763250?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c173a0772

and this one?

can someone confirm both of these are ok and what i need and i can decide which i want

thanks lads

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:

mattuk

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 06:04 PM »
now im even more confused   i have some cups already but i couldnt get the bearings into them as its too tight... tried a hammer and fooked the bearings.... i even sanded down the inside of cups to give the bearing mor room to go in!   no chance at all. so somethings wrong somewhere

thats why i thought bin it all and buy a new whole set  :(

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Cheap as chips...  :daumenhoch:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bmx-bike-diamondback-sealed-bearing-bottom-bracket-bmx-/270734022117?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f090155e5#ht_600wt_905

That's what I was trying to find  :daumenhoch: a warning though I used those in a Standard TRLS250 frame & they were very tight, even after sanding the black off the cups.

mattuk

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:07 PM »
cheers betty, think we have a winner there!    the grenn buts will be covered up though when fitted as that would look a bit gay!

that def right size blah blah blah

i fookin hate BB...... the only part of a bmx that drive me nuts with rage trying to fit   !!!!

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:10 PM »
now im even more confused   i have some cups already but i couldnt get the bearings into them as its too tight... tried a hammer and fooked the bearings.... i even sanded down the inside of cups to give the bearing mor room to go in!   no chance at all. so somethings wrong somewhere

thats why i thought bin it all and buy a new whole set  :(

They are a tight fit in the cups, you're best off using a vice to press them in

2 minutes turkish...

mattuk

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 06:10 PM »
fugazi.... dont like sound of that at all!!!   i just want somethings thats goona fit in easy with minimal stress  haha

you thinking the gusset ones then for £19.99 with free delivery?

see link   http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUSSET-USA-EXP-Sealed-BMX-Bottom-Bracket-Set-19mm-/120648763250?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c173a0772

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 06:11 PM »
cheers betty, think we have a winner there!    the grenn buts will be covered up though when fitted as that would look a bit gay!

that def right size blah blah blah

i fookin hate BB...... the only part of a bmx that drive me nuts with rage trying to fit   !!!!

Yes they'll fit fine dude, and the green bits (bearing covers) will be hidden when fitted....  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

mattuk

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 06:14 PM »
betty. the cups and bearing i have something aint right they look to be a good 1mm out all round. an elephant stamping on them wouldnt even get them in im sure, ive sanded a good 0.5mm all round inside of cup  took nearly half hour and still no where near at all

just gonna get a full new set where the bearings are already in cups and then piece of wood and a rubber hammer will do the rest,  my other bike i did in 5 mins with this method piece of piss!

dont know why this fookers causeing so many probs  

mattuk

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 06:17 PM »
right final verdict please fellas

gusset ones for £19.99 free delivery
or
diamond back ones for £13.99 + 1.99 delivery

are they both likely to be fookers to fit or gusset slightly better made?

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 06:21 PM »
They're more than likely all made in the same factory just with different names on so i'd buy the cheapest
2 minutes turkish...

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 07:32 PM »
They're more than likely all made in the same factory just with different names on so i'd buy the cheapest

+1, they're all much the same, just in different packaging. As Betty has said they will be tight, after all they're an interference fit & a vice pushes them in pretty evenly Once You get going.
Btw I might've tracked down a chrome brakeplate for You to go with those Superforks, I'll let You know  :daumenhoch:

mattuk

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27 PM »
FFS  this is driving me nuts!!!!

just arrived and its too small!    looks like i needed 22mm after all so just ordered this!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400205333936&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

fookin unbelieveable!!!     look like the cups i had with the haro crank were 19mm and the bearing 22mm that why i could never get them in even after sanding!

the diamond back one mentioned on here turned up today and the bearing would not go over the axle so the axle is def 22mm.... it has to be!

fooking bb's    my hate for them has grown even stronger now      arrgghh!!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Matt

The DB part from Angpatten on ebay is exactly the same part number as the ones Redline use and sell for twice the price, so stick it on here for sale and you'll cover some of your wasted cash. It will fit any Redline flight crank set and will sell straight away as long as you don't expect people to not know you only paid £16 for it.

I'd have had it this time last week as i just bloomin' bought one as Matt Swivel lost the one that came with my new cranks..... :uglystupid2:
Still limping......

mattuk

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 09:09 PM »
cheers spen for the heads up but ive already posted it back for a refund so i'll just lose out on postage

just want this bike finished now so i can get all the lose bits attached and get my garage floor back :P

the bmx city one should be here in a couple of days so hopefully now i fonal have the right bits   :D

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 12:04 AM »
Sure it's not a 20 mm axle? :10_2_12:

mattuk

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 10:19 AM »
oh fookin hell i never knew those existed!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :O

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  bottom bracket confusion... help :)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx