gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 12:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Haro - How to tell a Master from a Zippo
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Haro - How to tell a Master from a Zippo  (Read 10246 times)

punkdSICO

Haro - How to tell a Master from a Zippo
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Hi all - after selling my Curtis/Skyway custom in about 1987 I have finally decided to get a Haro.  So, Im picking up a Haro Zippo for my son tomorrow - looks fab and very cheap at £120, but I wanted something a bit more old school for myself  :)

So, I have purchased what I thought was a 1993 Haro Master Megatube frame and forks (info from this page (1993) for £150.  It looks very sexy and with the right sticker set and mags, I will finally get a Freestyler!!

However, looking at the pictures and I now realise that the "Master" frame looks identical to my son's Zippo.  After hours of searching, there does not seem to be any clear info on how to distinguish a 93 Master from a modern Zippo.

Anyone know on how to tell the difference between a 93 Master and a Zippo?  Have I just paid £150 for a repainted set of frame and forks from my son's complete £120 Zippo?   :'(

Any pointers will be appreciated..

thanks,

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
Re: Haro - How to tell a Master from a Zippo
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 09:36 PM »
a good search of the bmxmuseum will give you the clues...

from a quick look the rear dropouts look to be the tell-tale difference...

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/991 - 93 Master

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/27628 - 99 Zippo

also looks like theres 2 cable guides on the master downtube and one on the zippo
the master also has screw in bosses for pegs on the forks... not on the zippo

hope that helps  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:43 PM by ED209º »
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

punkdSICO

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.
from a quick look the rear dropouts look to be the tell-tale difference...
hmmmm - looking at the BMX Museum pics, my "Masters" dropout are 93 Master-esque.  However....
also looks like theres 2 cable guides on the master downtube and one on the zippo
My "Master" does not match either of the BMX Museum's cable guides; my frame has a single on the top bar, not on the bottom bar.

Plus, in the Museum pics, both the Zippo and Master have breaks at the bottom (sorry, but I dont knwo what that is called) yet my Master has old-school breaks at the top (back wheel).

But honestly, I have spent hours searching pic s of Masters and just when I think I find a detail that distinquishes them from a Zippo, I then find another the contradicts my findings.  For example, for a while I thought lack of break holders on the bottom indicated my Master was indeed a 1993 but then I find other pictures claiming to be a megatube Master from 93 and they have the break holders on the bottom.
I thougt the serial number might give more info (KH7F5217) but this did not privde much.

Im collecting my son's Zippo tomorrow so at least I wil have this so I can compare it to my ebay Master pictures.  I have not paid for the "Master" yet and I will hold off until I get the Zippo  I dont want to pull out of a wining bid but equally, I dont want to buy something that has been mis-sold as a 93 retro when it is a modern bike, resprayed.

thanks again - will post tomorrow when I get the Zippo..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:00 PM »
you can download a 93 Haro catalog here..

very good for checking out the Master spec  :daumenhoch:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10354

Dylan Thomas

punkdSICO

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13 AM »
Hi all - quick update:  I picked up "my sons" ;) Zippo.  Its in incredible condition, even has the original tyres.  I was on it a lot over the weekend and it feels great!  I know it’s a long time ago but from memory, it feels a lot nicer than my old Curtis/Skyway bike.  Seems quite heavy but still...  Interestingly, I compared the Zippo measurements to the Master from the 1993 catalogue (above link).  They are pretty much identical, only the seatpost angle is about 4degrees different.

Regarding the Master: I have pulled out of the deal.  I can only find evidence that suggests the frame is a restrayed Zippo, none that suggests it is a Master.  This is a big deal as the Master is a far suppior frame to the Zippo (100% Chromo verses 0% Chromo) and conisdering the "Master" frame was £30 more than my son's complete Zippo, it was definitely worth being sure.

Interestingly, now that I am pulling out the selling has become very and deliberate ambiguous "I never said it was a Master as the ad stages its either a Freestyler or a Master".  Clearly its NOT a Freestyler, so that only leaves Master..!  Also, his only proof is that it was his bike from a kid but surely if that was the case, you would know 100% what it was?!!

Anyway, Im now back on the lookout for a nice old/mid school Haro frame.  Something like the Invert is more in my budget so fingers crossed ill get something ready for this summer..

Thanks for the replys and help.  Looking forward to being in these forums more now I have rediscovered my BMX roots!

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:31 PM »
good for you Paul... feeling you have been ripped off is no fun.

PM Pickle as he had a nice Haro package up for sale for a great price  :daumenhoch:

or keep an eye on ebay ... stuff like the Zippos regularly go for a bargain  :)

Dylan Thomas

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37 PM »
like this one... loving the backwards forks  :LolLolLolLol:

Dylan Thomas

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Haro - How to tell a Master from a Zippo

gfxgfx
gfx gfx