gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 07:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DIY Spraypainting....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DIY Spraypainting....  (Read 2472 times)

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
DIY Spraypainting....
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I'm looking at giving a build a custom rattlecan job after it had a nice white powdercoat base recently. Its been a very long time since I used to spray my bikes, so the questions are these....

1.  Can you get a good finish using rattlecans or do people invest in proper spray equipment?

2.  Ordinary halfords type spray paint can be used over powdercoat with no ill effects can't it?

3.  Masking tape was always crap in my opinion, leaving a feathered edge.  Anything work better?

Post your own work up here!!  Apart from SBD of course....  :D

Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: DIY Spraypainting....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:30 PM »
for a basic colour i used "Hammerite Metal Paint" (smooth) . No need for primer. Instead of masking tape,a product called fine line tape for the good edge,masking tape to cover the rest.

Darksky

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:27 PM »
Using a spraycan can come out ok and over powder coat you just need to make sure you key the surface properly !!
Also if you are using a can a good tip is to shake the can thoroughly until the ball is clearly heard then place in hot water until the paint thins out nicely ! And also helps the propelant !!
You will find the paint should now flow freely without the dreaded "spraycan splat!!"

If anyone needs any paint help please ask as I'm a professional painter !!

Hope that helps !! DS 8)

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Rebel by any chance  ;)

squigly

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Key the surface with a RED 3m scotch-brite pad it needs to be 'evenly dull' all over if that makes any sense? then wipe it over with panel wipe or a tak rag whatever you can get hold of  to remove any dust from scuffing, then paint it. If you need to mask anything you can use fine line (sometimes call fine edge) tape to get as neat edge as possible, masking tape goes to shit if you leave it on too long or get it wet. Spray something else - anything else right next to the frame and use this item as a guide to when the paint is touch dry, then you can carefully remove your tape pulling away from the colour, let it then cure before polishing out.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Plasticote for me if i'm spraying individual parts, comes out like powder finish and looks mint just doing a few parts in green at the moment  :daumenhoch:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Thanks guys, very helpful!  I'd spray anything bitd but wasn't too worried aböut how it turned out at 14 years old... ::)

Can in warm water you say?  Makes sense!

And yep Rick, been mulling over some designs this week.  I've got 3 all white freestylers as it is, fancy something a bit different.

Ta!

Darksky

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 07:52 PM »

yeah if you get the cans nice and warm the gas expands giving you a better pressure to paint with !!

here's a couple of small bits ive just done for the missus in a nice skyway pink !!

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 08:01 PM »

yeah if you get the cans nice and warm the gas expands giving you a better pressure to paint with !!

here's a couple of small bits ive just done for the missus in a nice skyway pink !!

They look well sweet, is it best to still go for the dozens of thin coats application rather than a few thicker ones?  I realise the thicker you go in one application, the more chance of a run

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:44 PM »
imo i'd say yes loads of thin coats and another tip when spray can is getting low stand on it <ie crush it > to increase pressure  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50 PM »
Hot water, Be careful, I only use hot water out of the tap. Do not boil the kettle. My brother had a can explode years back, Covered a red car in yellow paint and scared the crap out of him :10_2_12:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:51 PM »
imo i'd say yes loads of thin coats and another tip when spray can is getting low stand on it <ie crush it > to increase pressure  :daumenhoch:

Sweet.  That your work on the avatar then Rick?  Been round the estate late at night again?   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 11:08 PM »
  :LolLolLolLol: The tram inspectors in manchester dont call me Ramon for nothing  ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DIY Spraypainting....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx