gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 05:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New Poster needs advice...Please!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Poster needs advice...Please!  (Read 2193 times)

weesteph

New Poster needs advice...Please!
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Hi all, this is my first post so not sure if I'm putting it in the right section.

I originally joined the forum to look for parts for my 8 year old's, old school Mongoose scooter which one of the older guys from his Bboy crew gave him.

I've subsequently become re-hooked on the BMX bug myself. Looking at all the stunning rebuilt bikes from the 80's has got me reminiscing about those good old days & the bikes that I had back then.

I've been taking the wee man to the local indoor skatepark since he got his repro Super Tuff Burner for christmas & have been dying to have a go with him.
To this end I recently was gifted a 97 Mongoose Sniper in dire need of some TLC & was hoping I could get some advice on restoration as the last time I did anything like this I reckon I was about 13.

The frame, forks etc are scratched & rusted & require repainting, what is the best way to strip & prepare paint & chrome for powder coating? I know I used lots of methods back in the day but not sure any of them were particularly good for the bike ( ie chucking the frame in a fire to burn the paint off... :-\ )

What's the best method to clean up alloy parts like brakes etc?

Does anybody know of any good powder coaters in the Glasgow area?

Really any advice on tarting up the bike in general would be much appreciated. Hopefully if this goes well I might have a bash at something a bit more exotic in the future.

Cheers in advance.

1mancity2

Re: New Poster needs advice...Please!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Come on in, Nitromors will take the paint off, all alloy parts can be polished with Autosol or Peek polish, If you are taking it to a powder coater they may offer a stripping service so enquire before you embark on the project, take your time and I'm sure you will make a good job  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:46 AM by 1mancity2 »

The VW Doc

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47 PM »
If it is going to the Powder coaters, then most all (well all the ones I have used in the South East) will blast clean the frame for you - this is by far the easiest way to do it.
I have just had a Mk1 Burner frame, forks, bars and a (not burner) one piece crank that was really rusty chrome, blasted and powder coated all for £40.

I hope this helps

Mamba

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Not sure about stripping the chrome, I thought it has to be done chemically but couldn't swear by it as i've never had to do it. Chrome parts can come up surprisingly well with a lot of elbow grease. If parts are bad but not peeling of course you can use a medium-fine wire wool and autosol in the first instance to get the worst off and then a rag and autosol to polish . I've done a Daimler Sovereign rad grille which came out perfectly. Lots of work and lots of effort but so worth it as it all comes together 8)

weesteph

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:32 AM »
Thanks for that guys, think I'll check out powder coaters up here first before I do anything else.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into this.

1mancity2

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45 AM »
Chrome can be lightly beadblasted to provide a key for powder/paint just needs an etch primer on first before any base coat  :daumenhoch:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05 AM »
I seem to remember it being pretty hazardous to your health to start stripping chrome yourself too. Take it all apart and give to the coater to sort out. Ask em if they've done bikes before too, cos some have no idea at all and powder far too thick
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

weesteph

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Will do.   Have contacted a few by e-mail this morning to see what they have to say.

weesteph

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Anyone know the best way to straighten a bent rear drop out?

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:50 PM »

vice and gentle teasing

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 01:56 PM »

vice and gentle teasing

I use the vice with a nice bit of rubber or hard wood to stop the vice from marking the chrome :)
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

1mancity2

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:26 PM »
If you havn't got a vice use an adjustable spanner with cloth in the jaws to gentle tweek it straight  :daumenhoch:

weesteph

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 06:02 PM »
Thanks chaps, will try the vice & some padding.

weesteph

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 06:41 AM »
What's the best way to remove grips without damaging them?

Also the best way replace them, hairspray?

1mancity2

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 08:01 AM »
Take the bars off the bike, get some warm soapy water and pour onto the grip were it meets the bar, gently twist the grip to allow the water to get in, leave for a couple of minutes and they should twist off easy.

Putting them on I usually clean the bars and grips inside then just dampen the end of the bar and twist on.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Remove and replace grips with a pint glass full of boiling water and gloves. Dunk the grip in for a couple of mins and then work it off or back on again.

Use nothing else or they will end up slipping off or moving.

Simples ;-)

Also, have a good read of the chrome polishing threads as it is way tougher than powderoating and you've got to see a new coater's work before you trust them with your frame as most out it on too thick.

Welcome to the site by the way!
Still limping......

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:33 AM »
I stick a long thin screwdriver between the grip and bars... quick spray of WD40 ( through the straw ) twist and off.

Clean 'em up with Jif inside and out.

Dry 'em out.

Squirt of hairspray ... slide on ... leave for a bit. Sorted.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

weesteph

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Thanks once again lads.

Spen cheers for the welcome, I ain't done any of this since I was a kid so want to get it right.

I've contacted a few coaters near me & will be visiting them all when I get home from offshore to check out their work.

weesteph

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Has anyone on here used any coaters in the Glasgow area in the past?

1mancity2

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 12:36 PM »
If you struggle you could post your bits to a coater £20 there and back, worth it for a top job  :daumenhoch:

weesteph

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Might just do that if I'm not too impressed by what I see. Cheers

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New Poster needs advice...Please!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx