gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 01:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway bleaching...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway bleaching...  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Why isnt this working

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Skyway bleaching...
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Hi all.

I know this topic has been covered a trillion times but i've just recieved some white alloy hubbed skyways from Juan that are  nearly nearly nearly n.o.s and I really DONT want to fook these up. There used to be a fantastic thread in the tech and resto section that was in the perminant first few topics but it seems to have disapeared  :-\. I just need a few questions answered before i start.....

1. Shall I wizz em through the dishwasher before i start the bleaching process and if so shall i strip the hubs and bearings first. Also shall I use detergent.

2. Before i submerge them in the bleach shall i bang a load of vasaline over the hubs to stop any agrivation to the metal.

3. How much and what brand of bleach shall I use, and how long shall I keep them submerged for.

Many thanks.

Si :)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Re: Skyway bleaching...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Search for Steve P's thread about bleaching them. For me, I grease up the hubs with vaseline (and my old nob) and then wack them in tesco thin bleach, after a few days take out, use CIF cream, then wack in the drink again, I leave them in for about 2 weeks, and all of mine have come out minty white, like this!

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:28 PM »
why dont you sit on them to hold them down then you can do a bit of anal bleaching at the same time  ;D

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Search for Steve P's thread about bleaching them. For me, I grease up the hubs with vaseline (and my old nob) and then wack them in tesco thin bleach, after a few days take out, use CIF cream, then wack in the drink again, I leave them in for about 2 weeks, and all of mine have come out minty white, like this!

They're not Minty-white....  i can see a couple of brown marks showing through :shocked: :smitten:
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08 PM »
I did try some more whiteness but still had some pink showing through? Might need to dunk these in bleach even more...  :D

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Great thread man  :daumenhoch:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Tremendous  :D

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:12 AM »
think swivels in need of whiting some thing - with MAN white (sack overload)  ;D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 06:56 AM »
think swivels in need of whiting some thing - with MAN white (sack overload)  ;D

They've just had a kid......we've gotta expect it.. :2funny: Pehaps I'll ask about tuff 2 bleaching more often.

Any more valid comments before this thread turns into the new underground "babe of the day" thread...

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Weekend comments pleeeease....i'm still really nervous  :-\

Some response to my 3 asked questions would be massivly appreciated.

Thanks alot, Si.

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Dishwasher .....  :-\

trasher

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 05:18 PM »
i'v put a few sets through the dishwasher mate ,on full cycle

it helps to get rid of any inground dirt or greese on the wheels ,,,if theres greese on them the bleach wont touch that part  :daumenhoch:

be carefull when applying greese vaseline to the hubs ,not to get any on the wheels ,,as again the bleach wont touch that part ,

and then do what has been mentioned by matt ,,, get them out rinse ,the cif them up ,,,, i even pressure washed some tuffs to get the shit out of them

but be prepared to get soaked  :2funny:

trasher

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 05:27 PM »
not the best pic , but the one on the left is the after

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Thats great Mr the gay pensioner...really helpfull pal, i'll crack on now  :daumenhoch:

Thanks again.

squigly

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 12:41 PM »
How did you get on with this ?

I still havent done mine  :tickedoff:  how do you get a good coverage of grease on the back of the hubs ? and the part where the metal meets the tuff or do you just fill the gap with grease ?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway bleaching...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx