gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 15, 2024, 05:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BMX ID?? Old school? - picture
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX ID?? Old school? - picture  (Read 3079 times)

punkdSICO

Re: BMX ID?? Old school? - picture
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 01:03 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has realised what this is by now? :coolsmiley:
Are you saying you know?  If so, please tell  :D

Lovely day to be in a skate park rather than doing frickin DIY!!

Paul

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 04:52 PM »
All this negativity towards this poor little frame. If I could get my hands on it I could turn that baby around and you would all stand aghast at it

Tachikoma

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 08:33 PM »
All this negativity towards this poor little frame. If I could get my hands on it I could turn that baby around and you would all stand aghast at it
No negativity here, I love it.
Don't really care if others here think it looks nasty, opinions are like anuses and so on.

I'll just be glad to see it gleaming and clean, and being ridden again!

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 08:55 PM »
If it was mine i'd cut that seat tube down, bang a set of mini bars on it, seat of 1"1/8 skiinies and a uni seat 150mm crank and make my myself a mini race quadangle, with some custom mini quadangle decals, would look awesome

electobooty

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 01:45 PM »
i like it

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 02:14 PM »
i bet the welding was quality on it  :buck2:

Tachikoma

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 10:28 AM »
i bet the welding was quality on it  :buck2:

Nope,. the welding is piss poor  :2funny:

Arrived about 15 min ago.

Just a few things to note : It wasn't originally white, it's been hand-painted, and i don't mean a home spraycan job, i mean emulsion and brush  :uglystupid2:
Seatpost is definately bent, theres a kink at the bottom where some fat basards made it fold back on itself, i'm tempted to bend it straight and cut the post down so seat posts slide all the the way in to the lower section (i.e. so they wont bend the pipe in half).
the skyways are in good nick though, has a pair of MX brake levers but given their condition compared to the rest, and the fact the brake calipers themselves are 'Super Rapid's, i'm going to assume theyre aftermarket replicas.

Also has an old set of diamondback bars on it too, given away by the front pad on the crossbar.
Looks as if someone with little restoring skill has attempted to breath new life in to an old bike and ended up coughing up some phlem, i do however think stripped down, cleaned up and sprayed properly it would look quite nice, even with the crappy welds. (though i'm half tempted to strip the frame back to metal then clean them up with some power tools, most of the "ugly" in the welds is how they're too thick, grinded back a little they wouldn't look too bad, and still hold just as well).

Will take some pictures later if anyones interested.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:33 AM by Tachikoma »

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 11:07 AM »
oh yeah nice big pics please

Tachikoma

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 03:46 PM »
So, just an update, i'm a bit of an impatient bastard so I've already stripped the thing down to the bare frame and set about taking off the 1mm thick layer of white immulsion. (i am 100% serious, someone genuinely painted it with immulsion).
I've also straightened the seatpost and cut off the seat tube at around 2" high, taking off the other 7 inches because whichever asshat that owned it prior had clearly thought a more modern seatpost could be made to fit it with a little force, as a result the tube i cut off was stretched, it would appear because they failed with that they went and put in a slip of metal (from appearance, a smaller seatpost with a notch cut down the back the entire way) and were using it as a shim so the original smaller seatpost would fit.

While i'd have rather left the frame in it's original form the seattube was beyond saving, at least now a seatpost slips in and down in to the bottom half of the tube too, should be much stronger.

I'll get some pics later, went riding this morning and screwed up my back something rotten, which wasn't helped by faffing around with the newly arrived bmx in the shed for an hour. so i'm just relaxing on the bed right now waiting for it to stop hurting.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 04:14 PM »
get some pics up man.
love these sort of threads.
dave the bmxing gypo

Tachikoma

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 04:48 PM »

This is the new height of the seatpost, I figure a seatpost passing through the gusset should be a whole lot stronger than the obsurdly long seat tube that was there originally, also been scraping off the layers of crap paint, seems the bike was originally a tealy-blue color, might use that color for it.
I plan on paint stripping it, sanding it down till it's smooth, taking some filler and tidying up the sloppy welds and ugly joins here and there, then basecoating.

Under the layers of paint on the bottom bracket I found the serial number, if anyone wants to have a stab at ID'ing this thing by all means go ahead - if you find out let me know!

punkdSICO

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 05:13 PM »

Im still super miffed I did not get that beauty!!

Boy, that is a lot of paint!!  Looks like you just made the bike 1/2kg lighter!

Thanks for the pictures - really excited to see what you do with it..

Paul

winnit93

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 06:20 PM »
i do like that, deffo put skinnies on and a mini uni and mini race bars.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Looks like someones took a frame that was broken at the headtube and welded that front end on.... badly...  :wtf:

Just hope those welds look better when you get all the paint off...  :-\
2 minutes turkish...

firebird4130

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 07:15 PM »
falcon pro serial?

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 08:10 PM »
looking great, the mini quadangle race bike is taking shape, awesome

ozone

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 08:51 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: at the quality of the stamping - did it come from Barnsley?    :police:
Looking forward to seeing this finished - really interested to see if you can improve the look of those welds.   :daumenhoch:

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 09:15 PM »
Looks like someones took a frame that was broken at the headtube and welded that front end on.... badly...  :wtf:

I think you're right!

What's the Top Tube(s) length? Has it had an inch or two grafted on?

Interesting project though  :daumenhoch: I like this sort of thing

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 09:21 PM »
The SP1 is a Salisbury postcode. Although when i googled the code there is no such Road, are you sure they're the correct digits. Obviously the house number was 26.

EDIT>>>> Looks like the headtube has been rewelded back on upside down.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:24 PM by Southern Andy »
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 09:27 PM »

EDIT>>>> Looks like the headtube has been rewelded back on upside down.

That's what I thought. But I turned the monitor upside down and the "donor frame" would have to have had a head angle that was seriously shallow.

Tachikoma

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2011, 09:45 PM »
I've had a good look at it and as far as i can tell, as ugly as the front welds are, the headtube is original, the original color beneath the white immulsion paint is exactly the same, also the headtube has draining holes in the correct locations for the attaching tubes too.
I kind of regret cutting down the seatpost tube, but given the state it was in, i didn't have much choice.

Hopefully i can clean up the welds and with some creativity, make the best of whatever else needs sorting using filler before i primer it.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Ive spent a lot of time researching the serial number you've got there and one manufacturer kept on popping up time and time again, that was cycle pro. They used the odd gusset above the BB. Ive probably read 50 odd threads and most pointed to that style of serial being cycle pro

Tachikoma

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2011, 11:57 PM »
Ive spent a lot of time researching the serial number you've got there and one manufacturer kept on popping up time and time again, that was cycle pro. They used the odd gusset above the BB. Ive probably read 50 odd threads and most pointed to that style of serial being cycle pro
Much appreciated, i've had a look around at cycle pro's but can't seem to find anything remotely similar.
I've asked the ebay seller i got it from for more information, or if he could point me towards someone who may know more (prev owner), so we'll see where that goes.
Also now have the phone number for 26 Moberly Road, Salisbury, considering calling up and seeing if the current occupier has any recollection about it, assuming of course the original owners havent moved out since.

Theres a small crack in the rear left tubing where the larger tubing meets the smaller tubing right after the loop, it's only about 1/4th of the way around but i'm going to get it welded as soon as i'm done stripping the paint, so i can set about it with a dremel, some filler and lots of free time, to see if i can smarten her up a little!

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 01:11 AM »

looking forward to seeing it finished can't beat a ruff project to get your teeth into ,   :daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Having had a closer look at this - with a seattube that high I wonder if it was originally designed to have a banana seat?

Also looking at it it seems that the welds for the headtube are cruder than the welds on the rest of the bike. I wonder if in the 80's someones stripped a muscle bike frame, and rewelded the headtube at a more 'bmx' angle, lost the banana seat, resprayed blue and added mags etc?

Oh yeah - and the DSBM is a Japanese/Tiawanese frame manufacturer - built bikes for several companies including Redline, Falcon etc etc
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:56 AM by dannywhac »
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BMX ID?? Old school? - picture

gfxgfx
gfx gfx