gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 30, 2024, 06:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BMX ID?? Old school? - picture
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX ID?? Old school? - picture  (Read 3059 times)

ozone

Re: BMX ID?? Old school? - picture
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Having had a closer look at this - with a seattube that high I wonder if it was originally designed to have a banana seat?

Also looking at it it seems that the welds for the headtube are cruder than the welds on the rest of the bike. I wonder if in the 80's someones stripped a muscle bike frame, and rewelded the headtube at a more 'bmx' angle, lost the banana seat, resprayed blue and added mags etc?

Oh yeah - and the DSBM is a Japanese/Tiawanese frame manufacturer - built bikes for several companies including Redline, Falcon etc etc

Definitely a cut and shut by the looks of things.  The twin top tubes are much thicker tubing than the looped rear end.  The thicker tubing has been welded on just above the rear dropouts and that head tube looks like it's been welded on the wrong way up so what you're seeing is the downtube from another frame (IMO)  (a proper looptail uses one piece of tubing per side and it should be the same thickness from the BB to where it joins the top of the seat tube)

That would explain the hideous welding at the front end - I still think you should try to tidy it up though...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:48 PM by ozone »

Tachikoma

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2011, 10:10 PM »
I come bearing gifts (kind of)

Finally got that damn paint off, as well as the original blue paint underneath.

Welds are a bit cleaner with the paint gone, still gammy though, and theres a random patch of brass too, the plan is to grind these suckers back and use my degree in art to make them pretty with filler before primer, god help me.

You can see the original greenish-blue in the bottom bracket, confusingly there was this original color on ALL parts (which sort of rules out a cut and shut, unless whoever did it stripped it back to the metal all-over too).

Here's a view of that crack on the left loop, i'm going to have it rewelded on both sides then ground down so the transition between large and small tube is smooth and symetrical.

Top tubes and bottom sections are more or less perfectly in line with each other, making the frame a perfect elongated triangle from above.

Wont be getting the bits welded till monday at the earliest, but i'll give cleaning up the welds a go tomorrow, for now i'm going to kick back and wait for the smell of nitromors to leave my nostrils.  :2funny:
I'm thinking once the frames done and primed, i'll be doing the frame a light greenish blue, the forks and bars a soft creme, and restoring the wheels back to their original yellow (then using yellow for seat, grips and possibly pedals) with the same blue for levers and the same creme for brake cables, then up the front forks a progressive line pattern from dense bars of the same blue to thin and more spaced out (pattern will go from dropouts to about 1/3rd up the fork).

I don't really have anything to work with since i've no idea how it was meant to look, or if the bikes even a proper model, but on the off chance that it's something someones cobbled together, i'm going to fix her up and make it beautiful =)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:18 PM by Tachikoma »

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Definitely a cut and shut by the looks of things.  

Not wrong there, looks like something we'd knock up at MK on the piss at the 4am club!  :crazy2:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2011, 10:44 PM »
I like it. A bit of hard graft, a nice paint job and some understated custom decals that thing could be sweet  :)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2011, 11:28 PM »
now all that dulux iff it doesnt look half as bad as it previously did  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BMX ID?? Old school? - picture

gfxgfx
gfx gfx