gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 02:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Wheel building I've popped my cherry
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wheel building I've popped my cherry  (Read 1419 times)

curtispro

Wheel building I've popped my cherry
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Had a go at building my first wheel tonight, It was more of a tester than anything else, had some unknown rims that came on my DP freestyer garage find, 48 spokes with high flange hubs, stripped them, polished the hubs, ovenpride the rims them polished them, new spokes and nice red nipples, just need to be trued up at the LBS and should be good to go

The start

The finish

Wasn't as daunting as I thought

:daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: Wheel building I've popped my cherry
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Tru them yaselfdude, easierthan you think  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

curtispro

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:39 PM »

Got a lot of up and down and side to side play,  would be sea sick if I rode on them  :2funny:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Well done mate - busted my wheel build virginity myself a few night back  :smitten:

Now I've got to try and sell 'em 'cause I'm not happy with the colour scheme  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

curtispro

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:06 AM »
Ed, are they the White 7x that you built? How much do you want for them? Could they be shiny sided?

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 06:06 AM »
Look sweet for a first attempt  :daumenhoch: now i could be wrong here but i think maybe the spokes surrounding the valve should should sit away rather than inwards so you have clearance for caps and pump  :-\   well done all the same  :daumenhoch:

curtispro

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Look sweet for a first attempt  :daumenhoch: now i could be wrong here but i think maybe the spokes surrounding the valve should should sit away rather than inwards so you have clearance for caps and pump  :-\   well done all the same  :daumenhoch:

Rollocks just noticed that, gonna have to start again  :idiot2:  :uglystupid2:  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:26 AM »
I've been building all my own wheels for about 3yrs now and still leave the final true-up and tension to my LBS as I just haven't got the eye, patience and attention to detail for it, and am usually half way down a nice bottle of red or vodka by the time I've finished building!

Really rewarding doing it yourself though - well done fella!
Still limping......

RoyalTrux

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:02 AM »

Any advice on how to get the trueing right?

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 06:39 PM »

when you build your wheels make sure all the spokes nipples get the same amount of turns, you can make your own tool from a spare spoke and nipple like this.

leave a few threads sticking out of the nipple and then crimp it to the spoke with a pair of pliers. then insert the tool into the nipple from inside the rim and screw it down till it bottoms out like this.

go round all the spokes doing this. once thats done get a spoke key and go round them all again giving each one a full turn, start at the the first spoke next to the valve so you know when you've done them all. keep doing this till you've got a good tension in the wheel. then it's just a matter of truing it a little.

RoyalTrux

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Not sure if I fully understand. But it looks well thought off  :)

RoyalTrux

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 12:06 PM »

when you build your wheels make sure all the spokes nipples get the same amount of turns, you can make your own tool from a spare spoke and nipple like this.

leave a few threads sticking out of the nipple and then crimp it to the spoke with a pair of pliers. then insert the tool into the nipple from inside the rim and screw it down till it bottoms out like this.

go round all the spokes doing this. once thats done get a spoke key and go round them all again giving each one a full turn, start at the the first spoke next to the valve so you know when you've done them all. keep doing this till you've got a good tension in the wheel. then it's just a matter of truing it a little.

Doing this right now. Made the tool from a spoke.
And halfway through.
Having good hope in it.
Have to,
'cause I'm lacing bullseyes to pro class rims  :D

Thanks John4130

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Wheel building I've popped my cherry

gfxgfx
gfx gfx