gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 05:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polished 4130 bars ....clear coat?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Polished 4130 bars ....clear coat?  (Read 1270 times)

YGT

Polished 4130 bars ....clear coat?
« on: July 08, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Hi there,
recently removed some paint from my bars and used some very fine grit sandpaper and the bars look amazing (almost chrome like) .....
However since they are chromolly I guessing they will rust or oxidize without some sort of treatment .....

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to keep my bars from rusting up or oxidizing?
I had thought about clear paint but usually that has a strong yellow tint .... and chroming where i live costs an arm and a leg.

Your views?

oldboyburner

Re: Polished 4130 bars ....clear coat?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:09 PM »
we at work polish alloy wheels and use a clear laquer that has a etch property to it that stops the corrosion on alloy and sticks to the polished alloy
not too sure about polished steel tho ;)

1mancity2

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Get a two pack super clear, they are usually not tinted  :daumenhoch:

YGT

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Just an update .......
I read allot of stuff on the net about polished 4130 and how it's a real pain to clear lacquer it .... But went ahead anyway.

Bars came out amazing ... Super stoked.
Then 3 days later I started to get what looked like dust in areas, and was able to thumb them off ......

Then this morning (day5) all the paint had bubbled up and gone misty and started to flake off.
I had read of similar issues from dune buggy sites that had polished their 4130 roll cages and had painted them clear.

So it appears that the only way around this is to either take them to the Chromers or get them professionally powder coated clear.
But powder also needs to be immaculately clean and fat free before painting, which is hard to guarantee unless you do it yourself.

deeman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:50 AM »
i refurbish alloy wheels for a living and this was a problem for years!i now use a MIPA german laquer,doesnt mix 2:1 like normal 2k more likae a 5:1.its v,thick but can be thinned further.It is designed for use on alloy bannisters and the like.used  it on all polished ally wheels now without problems for 3 or 4 years and its v.clear,normal 2K laquer wont stick to shiny polished surfaces!if you have trouble i can get you a litre for 40 pounds odd from my supplier in watford.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:42 PM by deeman »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polished 4130 bars ....clear coat?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx