gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 09:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACS Z Rim Resto help needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ACS Z Rim Resto help needed  (Read 8977 times)

oldskooldayz

ACS Z Rim Resto help needed
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Hi peeps

i got a set of Acs z rims for resto the other day and need a bit of help as the last time i owned these was donkeys years ago  :daumenhoch:

right they look like the have been painted or sprayed with a clear liquid of somekind, the hubs were originally gold but they haver started to peel  :'( yet are showing a nice clean chrome underneath

spokes are shot but who cares they will be changed anyway

so after i strip them down can anyone suggest what i could use to get whatever is on them off without damaging them please

all help welcome thanks  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:35 PM by oldskooldayz »

sid1972

Re: ACS Z Rim Resto help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:44 PM »
Aquablasting - did you see the skyway I had done ???

it will clean them also.. 8)

oldskooldayz

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:21 PM »

cheers for that but who does it or where can i get it done

any other forms of cleaning peeps that i can do at home incase

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:28 PM »
dont quote me on this but nitromors should work and i think its safe to use on nylon parts best check tho

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:29 PM »
acs hubs were never anodised due to the differant metals in the alloy preventing them from being so,  they were a sort of plastic laquar coating which easily peels off, best thing for them is having them painted again in white or black (original colours), or just polished up.... ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:30 PM »

hmmmm i,ve got some blue zeds with a slight fade
i wonder  :coolsmiley:

oldskooldayz

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:34 PM »
dont quote me on this but nitromors should work and i think its safe to use on nylon parts best check tho

Will ask about a bit on that  :daumenhoch:

acs hubs were never anodised due to the differant metals in the alloy preventing them from being so,  they were a sort of plastic laquar coating which easily peels off, best thing for them is having them painted again in white or black (original colours), or just polished up.... ;)

Thanks i never knew that so easy repair on them then  :daumenhoch:

sid1972

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44 PM »
not sure it will sort the fading out but it will remove paint and Knacker lacquer..

My powder coater does it, check yours locally.  ;)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 09:56 PM »
I've got a set of white Z's that I'm going to do red, they were grubby and a bit too "yellow" banged em in a long dishwasher cycle with a finish tablet

Came out lush  :smitten:

Hubs, you can strip and rub over with this stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTCH-BRITE-RED-3-PADS-9-X-6-INCH-PADS-GUARANTEED-/280632007677?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item4156f89bfd

so the finish is "brushed"

But before you do that........take it to a firm that mixes paint and pops in in a spray can.

Look on car resto forums they'll point you in the right direction.......................or at a push take it here

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ACArticleDisplay'storeId=10001&langId=-1&articleId=701009&categoryId=245348  :'(

And get them to mix a colour for you and sorted  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

oldskooldayz

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 10:04 PM »
I've got a set of white Z's that I'm going to do red, they were grubby and a bit too "yellow" banged em in a long dishwasher cycle with a finish tablet

Came out lush  :smitten:

Hubs, you can strip and rub over with this stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTCH-BRITE-RED-3-PADS-9-X-6-INCH-PADS-GUARANTEED-/280632007677?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item4156f89bfd

so the finish is "brushed"

But before you do that........take it to a firm that mixes paint and pops in in a spray can.

Look on car resto forums they'll point you in the right direction.......................or at a push take it here

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ACArticleDisplay'storeId=10001&langId=-1&articleId=701009&categoryId=245348  :'(

And get them to mix a colour for you and sorted  :daumenhoch:

got a local car paint shop so will get them to do just that  :daumenhoch:

dishwasher i will give it a go when the wifes at work on monday otherwise its the dog house  :LolLolLolLol:

oldskooldayz

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 11:16 PM »
i take it once cleaned it would be wise to re dye them, anyone know what colour blue they would have been ?

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 11:24 PM »

I own a Body shop drop me a pm i'll send you some scotch pads bud  :daumenhoch:

Darren
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

sid1972

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:26 PM »
I would not dye em - see what they are like, mine were dull bitd....

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 11:34 PM »

i'll be doing some white Z's on Monday i'll get a pics befor and after , fingers crossed  as i'm gonna try something different i'll let you know on the out come ,  :daumenhoch:

Darren
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

oldskooldayz

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:41 PM »

I own a Body shop drop me a pm i'll send you some scotch pads bud  :daumenhoch:

Darren

cheers darren  :daumenhoch:

I would not dye em - see what they are like, mine were dull bitd....

would they look sill re dyed then ? is it just better to clean them as much as poss and leave as is ?

i'll be doing some white Z's on Monday i'll get a pics befor and after , fingers crossed  as i'm gonna try something different i'll let you know on the out come ,  :daumenhoch:

Darren

cool keep me posted mate

sid1972

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 11:46 PM »
its getting the colour right, if they look dyed they can look crap... but all z'd faded so they look like what the are 30 year old rims.  :smitten:

A good clean, new decals job done - but thats just how I feel about it.

oldskooldayz

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 12:18 AM »
its getting the colour right, if they look dyed they can look crap... but all z'd faded so they look like what the are 30 year old rims.  :smitten:

A good clean, new decals job done - but thats just how I feel about it.

cool im down with the original look and feel and they are for a rider as well so fingers crossed they clean up a treat  :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 08:47 AM »
The colour on your wheels looks pretty good to me - if you dye them, you might end up with navy blue which looks rank IMO.  That discolouration on your rims is a hard build-up that can be scraped off with a craft knife, then smoothed off with wet and dry.  Try scratching off some of the build-up - should come off easily enough...

oldskooldayz

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30 AM »
I will give it a go and update if it comes off  :daumenhoch:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 12:18 PM »
I have done some Z's for agayguff - they had brake rub that had worn in and gone hard - cuts and digs into the rim
i scraped the brake rims away to clean and then went through a three stage wet and dry paper sandaway - i then had to get the original shape back and make them smmoth and look like were back in the day - then stuck them in bleach for a week to get them back to white  (just waiting for swivel to send me some decals to finish it off)

you can see that if you put in the hard work, you can sand back to mak them look clean again and back to the right colour - it just takes time - the smoother you get them they will look a better colour as the is more solid

cheers B  ;)

The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

oldskooldayz

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 12:33 PM »
I have done some Z's for agayguff - they had brake rub that had worn in and gone hard - cuts and digs into the rim
i scraped the brake rims away to clean and then went through a three stage wet and dry paper sandaway - i then had to get the original shape back and make them smmoth and look like were back in the day - then stuck them in bleach for a week to get them back to white  (just waiting for swivel to send me some decals to finish it off)

you can see that if you put in the hard work, you can sand back to mak them look clean again and back to the right colour - it just takes time - the smoother you get them they will look a better colour as the is more solid

cheers B  ;)

B your resto work is always impressive fella and they look well sweet  :daumenhoch:

im about to strip the wheels now and make a basic start to see what direction i need to take with these puppy's

cheers for all the advice so far chaps  :daumenhoch:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Take them all apart - carefully and slowly as not to make the holes/nipple to spoke any bigger (they do get bigger when used as the wheel flex's it moves the spokes)

give them a good wash - theis will get some of the dirt out and grease off so you can see where to start - a dish washer is good for this or just a bucket of hot soapy water

Sit out side and get a good lock on with one hand and use you knees or feet to lean on

don't go to higher grade of wet and dry - the smother you start the easier it will be to get it smooth - 600 - 800 -1200 - you can use a razor/stanly blade but i'm guessing you don't need to reshape them and get them back to white and they are blue (but it is up to you and you need to know how to get the best out of a blade and how it works the item and not dig in or cut lines )

do one side with one grade of wet and dry - then go onto the other side and the same with the other rim - this way you will feel with you finger when you get a good smooth finish and both will look the same

just keep working down the grades til it's silky smooth - you learn as you go on through each grade

any prob pm me

cheers B
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

oldskooldayz

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Right some great advice on this topic so big thanks again  :daumenhoch:

i dont want to start useing a stanley on them in a big way as i dont think i have the skills to do what is required so will take it very slowly and use one on selected small area's  :daumenhoch:

i have just stripped them and they are now ready for the dish washer, i actually asked my wife if it was ok to use her most valuable machine and the answer was simple

if you break it your doing the dishes for the rest of the year and buying a new one  :LolLolLolLol: i just fooking hope it dont damage the wheels i told her  :LolLolLolLol:

again she replied why dont you just put the whole fooking bike in  :LolLolLolLol:

anyway stage 1 underway peeps  :daumenhoch:

Now i went down the lazy bastartd route of just cutting the spokes with wire cutters  ::) ( they were shot bent and loads wouldnt undo )

but i am faced with a little bit of a prob and that is the front hub has a buckle in it one on each side of the hub

one is a good 8-10 mm out the other side is about 4-6 out, is this a case of put them in a vice and straighten out with a plier type tool ?

oldskooldayz

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Just took them out of the dishwasher and they look the same  ;D

But and a BIG but I have found a split in one of the rims and am mega pissed off now  :'(

they are hanging on by 5mm each side of the outer rim and 7 mm inside rim

can i fix this to ride them or is it goodbye sweetheart ?

as you can see with a little pressure i can open the rim up

theRuler

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 03:41 PM »
That rim is scrap mate.

And in future, remove the freewheel while the wheel is complete!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACS Z Rim Resto help needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx