gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:08 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  1984 VDC FREESTYLER
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1984 VDC FREESTYLER  (Read 39743 times)

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
1984 VDC FREESTYLER
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Here is my 1984 VDC Freestyler in Orange, bear with me this is going to be a long post  ;D

Right i got this in about July in survivor state  , paintwork was all original and most of the og decals were still present but all rough, on looking around for info on these i came across two magazine features on this bike one in bmx racer and freestyle december 1984 issue and Freestyle BMX issue 14 may 1985 and quickly realised it was the same bike used in both bike tests (only difference was wheels and different seat and post) apart from this the rest of the bike spec was the same , and then after some geeking up studying the decals , postions and also a scratch on the monkey bar decal on the bars i realised it was my actual bike that was used to say i was stoked is an understatement , that my actual bike was in these mags and also that it had been ridden in these tests by neil ruffell, andy irwin and jess dyrenforth really added to the interest, when i got it i wasn't sure what direction to go in but after talking to a few people about it (hunterdubber,stidds and daz kap  :daumenhoch:) i knew i had to go down the restoration path and put it back to where it was back in the 80's

here is what it looked at when i got it

So then the restoration process started ,so the hunt for stuff continued some of the bits were easy to get some not , first job was to measure the decals and mark there exact position and seek replacements, obviously my first port of call was DELS DECALS , the silver and black ones were no problem but the hot wheels sticker and the vinyl cut out VDC ones del had to specially make which he did and they were absolutely perfect so many thanks to DEl for that , what a legend, then on looking at the chrome on the forks it wasn't marvellous so off they went to Hockley Chrome off here to be rechromed and he did a smashing job, they are mint just look a bit streaky in the pics as i took the pics with the flash on and inside but they are mint, then the next stage was contact the legend that is superbikedan , i told him i wanted the colour matching and i wanted it doing in 2 pack rather than powder and as usual dan didn't let us down absolutely stunning when i got it back here it is at dans before he sent back

In the meantime of this happening parts were being sourced , a lot off here , some off ebay and elsewhere , also i needed a few bits annodising and sent them off to Paul at CCA Custom Colour Annodising off here and again he did a cracking job, for the vdc i needed black tech 3's and the black pro neck 2 stem , so i bought a scruffy pair of teck 3 s and a polished silver pro neck 2 and paul worked his magic and they look factory finish i really can recommend his service , spot on

The parts search was interesting to say the least nice thing is i had an exact list of what i needed as it was shown in both magazines and the pics were clear, list below of parts and a mention to who i got them off in thanks for their help

vdc freestler frame and chrome vdc forks, pro monkey bars circa 1984
pro neck2 stem (off ebay then re annod by CCA off here )
rear brake cable dated 85 (the winsta)
front cable dated 84 (daz kap)
Epoch mori headset (was gold but polished it back off to silver , Bendycat Eleven)
orange ame grips (ebay)
takagi spider and chain ring (biaggio, he gets a slating generally but he was very helpful with me and cheap on these )
takagi crank (stelaartois)
kkt smx pedals (ebay)
mx1000 brakes (graveldog)
orange tuff pads (brakedancer)
uni turbo seat (in2bmx)
black dc seat clamp (phippsio)
wheels i already had the gen 2 skyway graphite at front and coaster normal tuff at the rear was off hunterdubber
comp pool tyres (bodamus) couldn't find the pana tyres with the big lettering on like it had bitd

this is my actual frame forks and bars used here in the 2 tests bitd so this bike has always been in the uk rather than imported in later

http://bmx-recollection.com/Downloads/Archive/Bike%20%26%20Product%20Tests/VDC%20Changa%20Freestyler%20Test%20-%20Freestyle%20BMX%20Volume1%20Issue14.pdf

and here

http://bmx-recollection.com/Downloads/Archive/Bike%20%26%20Product%20Tests/VDC%20Freestyler%20-%20BMX%20Racer%20%26%20Freestyle%201984-12%20(Dec).pdf

here it is with neil ruffell on it back in december 1984

and here it is with orange tuffs on and a elina seat and post but rest of parts the same in the mag bike test in may 1985

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:55 AM by glenboy »

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: VDC FREESTYLER
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:36 PM »

here it is now , i'll get some nicer pics up these have been taken inside with the flash on

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:37 PM »
and some more

edited ............added a couple of pics in daylight

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:11 PM by glenboy »

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:40 PM »
About time  :LolLolLolLol:

I've been waiting to see this beauty since I saw it picked it up in bits in the boot of your car Glen

This is one special bike , love the colour , the history , the spec , the whole thing  :smitten:

Totally screams Early 80's Freestyle  :4_17_5:

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Jealous as fook  :angel:  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:32 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:42 PM »
stunning glen  :smitten:

baldbmxer

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:44 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 09:44 PM »
love it love it love it, just awsome, pure old skool :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:49 PM »
amazing what comes out of your boot Glen.  :LolLolLolLol:  nice to see something different and a true labour of love , shes stunning mate , great history and big thank you for sharing  :daumenhoch:

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 09:52 PM »

Glen you've done one hell of a top job  :4_17_5:   as i said when i was at yours  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dib dobs me please  ;) 

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

:daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Whoa!  Fookin awesome job Glen, that looks the dogs danglies

Or as the Septic tanks say, SICK!  :daumenhoch:
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Now there is a thing of Beauty Glen :smitten: :smitten:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Word !  :4_17_5:
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Daletsunami

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 10:19 PM »
That is great  :4_17_5:

Love the orange  8)

trickydeno

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:23 PM »
quality glen! beauty  :smitten:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:27 PM »
Awesome Glen great story too Bro. :smitten: :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 10:30 PM »
what a superb build :daumenhoch: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Love it,great story :4_17_5:

Would love to know where you got it and the story behind it :daumenhoch:

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Top job, great story too  :4_17_5:  :daumenhoch:  8)

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36 PM »
thanks a million everybody for the comments really means a lot , as everybody has their own ideas , so you never know how other people see things, yes its been a long winded journey this one but i'm chuffed with how its gone as said only real compromise was the tyres as i could not find the panaracer tyres with the big bold print anywhere so i went with the comp pools which i'd always wanted some of them anyway so it was a good excuse , nice thing with this is bar the frame forks and bars and the front wheel , lots of the other stuff was fairly cheap as far as old school stuff goes , it was just finding the stuff  you want when you want it, i was amazed i got all the bits , best buy was probably the pedals kkt smx which i got for a tenner

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Excellent work, really nice to see something with so much attention to detail  :4_17_5:

deeman

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 12:26 AM »
man,that is a beautiful bike,loving the hot wheels decals bought back memories!! :daumenhoch: :smitten:

ukoldschool

Re: 1984 VDC FREESTYLER
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Great stuff! VDC's rock!

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Makes me want one !!!!

You got anymore pix to share  ???
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Now that's a story!
You did it justice

lk_97

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 09:49 AM »
That's nice! I had the freestyle bmx mag where it had the vdc test, did you notice on the picture with the ice-cream board, it had the word 'DIE' etched into it?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  1984 VDC FREESTYLER

gfxgfx
gfx gfx