gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 06:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  wobbly crank
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: wobbly crank  (Read 1000 times)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
wobbly crank
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:25 PM »
got an old set of Profiles that have gone wobbly , they're nipped up tight on the spindle so no sideways movement on the BB, but as you crank round you can feel em move forward, :(   not much, feels like probably one notch on the spline , never had this with a splined crankset before ?  took em to bits and all the splines on the spindle and the crank arms look fine, no damage ,  anyone had this before?   spindle must of shrunk in the wash  :LolLolLolLol:  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:45 PM by oldtired »

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: wobbly crank
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Are you sure it's not movement in the pedal?
I would have thought that if one spline is worn then the other 47 should be up for the jib.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Probably need a new spindle Jimbo ,, can be a common fault , mines gone , Wildon's gone ,both Old school gen 2b's though   :-\

swap the spindle around ( left to right ) and see if the otherside arm moves forward now ,, then you'll know it's the splines worn on one side of the spindle  :-\ relatively cheap to get a replacement 48 spline spindle

If it wobbles on rhe same side it's the arm , very bad  :( bin em
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:37 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Good old profile wobble

Check there's enough spacers could be the axle bolts are fully tightened down before the cranks are tight on the arms (axle too long)

I've had one too long, shorter axle sorted it

Or could just be worn out splines on the arms or axle, try a different axle, might be time to bin em though...  :(

My son fooked a set of mine up riding with em loose....  :knuppel2:

2 minutes turkish...

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:53 PM »
edited my post Betty sorry pal  :-[,   "no sideways movement"      there is about 1.5mm space between the end of the spindle and the crank bolt face so don't think the axle is to long ? always run my cranks with a similar gap ,  

anyone got  a close up picky of a the splines on a spindle so i can have a gues at if mine look worn or not , was just wondering if they have been rusted up and then cleaned up before i got em ? making the splines a bit smaller
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:13 PM by oldtired »

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22 PM »
are you sure its not a bit of wear in the bb ?  just a thought  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Known issue with Profiles unfortunately - some of em get the 'wobble' others don't - try what Dubber said - could be the arms could be the spindle :(
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

doomchild

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Does the chainring fit snug on the spline. If there's any gaps, when you put your foot down the chainring will move. Does the chain it self get tight then loose ? The diameter of the chainring hole could be too big.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:27 PM by doomchild »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:08 PM »
BB good, US Type , new bearings and cups are good , chain ring fits snug as a bug with new top hat , ring bolt nipped up nice and tight ,chain tension is even when the cranks are spun and the freewheel is good too, 

at least i know there is a name for it  "The Profile Wobble"  :LolLolLolLol:   matches my racing style i suppose  :LolLolLolLol:

looking at some pics on the net tis looking like a duff spindle  :'(   cheers for the advice and pointers chaps  :daumenhoch:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Don't forget Jim any 19mm 48 spline spindle will do ,, doesn't have to be a Profile branded one

Helps keep the price down  :daumenhoch:

but will it last as long  ? ??? 

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:36 PM »
 :daumenhoch:    nice one Chris  spied a few already, cromo ones, a lot cheaper than a proper one , should do for my intensive training schedule .............................  :-X      :LolLolLolLol:   

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  wobbly crank

gfxgfx
gfx gfx