gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975539 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 02, 2024, 06:51 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  thinking of buying a new school ride
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: thinking of buying a new school ride  (Read 17372 times)

ratty67vw

thinking of buying a new school ride
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:54 PM »
been thinking of buying myself a new school ride nothing expensive (.budget up to £300).  just somthing to get me back on a bmx .
dont really want to spend to much incase i never get time to ride it
what would you guys recomend as a good all rounder (not that i expect to be able to do any tricks  but im going to try   :2funny:)
i dont know anything about new school bikes so any advice is appreciated
cheers

Toblerone

Re: thinking of buying a new school ride
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42 AM »
Mongoose, and United do some bikes that may fit the bill, have a look for a higher priced (and spec) 2011 bike thats now being sold off due to 2012's new bikes!

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:54 AM »
for that kind of money id be looking at these

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/36625/Sunday_Gary_Young_AM_Bike_2011

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/36621/Sunday_Aaron_Ross_AM_Bike_2011

this looks nice, shame its all hi-ten steel

http://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=14318&cat=1010&parent=9999&sid=3

give dave a call at the rad shop, im sure he will be able to sort you out a good deal for £300

stuartD

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09 PM »
DO IT !!!! my old bikes are great for cruising around on but my new schoold bikes are just the dogs nads for proper punishment !

Offline Munnyella

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Id be looking for a second hand custom, you will get loads for £300.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25 PM »

MM

Wise words  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Yep. Secondhand custom if you can be bothered.

If you can't be arsed with all the homework, Stodgy has a sale on all through January. Give him a ring, see what's about.

Clean

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 10:22 PM »

MM

What Munnster said!  :daumenhoch:

I got a stunner for that budget, and will never ride OS BMX beyond a RAD meet up again.

griff

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:02 PM »
got my mirraco for the princely sum of £110 (2009 black pearl 2)
not bad for a full cr-mo bike with only a few scratches on it and it means I've been able to swap a couple of bits without making it too expensive

ratty67vw

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 02:44 AM »
thanks for the wise words lads i shall do a bit of homework and see what happens .
not many places to buy quality bikes near to where i live ( i live in ireland ) you dont see many bmx,s around here  :D .would like to try one out befor i buy one
may check some out next time i am in the uk .
thanks again .

Clean

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Mate,

Get down to your LBS and try a few out for geometry (TT Length, Standover, BB Height, Headtube angle etc.) then make a note of what suits you and get on eBay or pop up a wanted here!  :daumenhoch:

Do your research and take your time and you WILL turn up a bargain, then you will never ride NS in any anger again!  :shocked:

Clean.  :coolsmiley:

ratty67vw

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 12:19 AM »
OK so i went to check out the local bike shops
 most have nothing more than cheap looking kids bikes. but got directed to a shop that i was told would have a good selection of new school bmx.s
 found the shop and went in he had 3 bmx,s  ::) . 2  haros and a skyway big daddy somthing or other  ??? .needless to say i was non to impressed .
 i asked if i could try out one of the haros for size (just to see )  the young lad working there looked at me and said you do know these are kids bikes dont you . and dont you think your to old to be trying them out  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: so not a good day at all

Offline Munnyella

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26 AM »
Looks like you may have to travel a bit then...

Did the shop kid get a cheeky rabbit punch for his trouble?

Should have!!

Where in the country are you?
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 10:49 PM »
WTP are good for money in the second hand market  8)

so many custom stuff out there - bit of a mind field as every one clams there's is the best and some are just tat if you don't know what your looking at - messed my head looking for one  ::)

worth doing you home work and pick three and see what the members say about them on here  ;)  you get great advice from peeps who know what it's like trying to find a good one and not a POS  :daumenhoch:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

ratty67vw

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 12:39 AM »
thanks again for the advice  
bendycat funny you should say about wtp bikes as i am looking at 2 at the moment (well waiting on some photos to be mailed to me )
1 is a bit ratty and the lads asking 130 euros the other looks quite smart and is 320 euros .will put up pics when i get them see wht people think
 :D
on a different note i just bought a late 70,s early 80,s TANDEM  should be fun :2funny: :2funny:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:44 AM by ratty67vw »

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 01:23 AM »
well you can practice your tail whips till the NS comes up  ;D

some times it's not the first one to come up - but see what folks on here have to say about it those two you are looking at  ;)

I spent ages checking every thing out - missed 3 and landed this for a good price of £250 was £469

Stereo Electro 2011

The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

ratty67vw

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 10:47 PM »
been waiting on pictures for the last few days but they didnt send them . just got emails to say both bikes sold
so the search continues  ;)
BENDYCAT thats a cool looking bike looks good value for the money
 did you get it from jim yet or is he rideing it to death before you get a chance to  :2funny: :2funny:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 01:29 AM »
it's sunday night/morning now - so it should be turning up on monday  >:D  just there's a load of shite snow outside  ::) :'(

so when it gets here it will be set up and then sit in the lounge waiting - just don't tell the wife  :daumenhoch: ;D

often happens - i had a load of bikes slip through my hands and loads of "will get pictures up"  what they don't say is that they have put it on certain different sites and act as you are the only buyer ~ turns out they have been playing every one and sell it to some one who doesn't answer a thread and just goes straight to pm's with more money  :2gunsfiring_v1:

keep looking and if you are not sure, stick it up on here and peeps will let you know if it's good or bad  :daumenhoch:

cheers B  ;)

griff

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 11:15 AM »
if you are not sure, stick it up on here and peeps will let you know if it's good or bad  :daumenhoch:

and then buy it themselves via PM  ;D

only joking, peeps on here are usually very helpful with stuff like this
except for that oldtired character, watch him he's been sticking pins in the wrist of a griff-shaped effigy he carries around in the hope that I'll flog it to him in an injured/weakened state

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 12:25 PM »
What's your upper limit?

Decide what you're honestly prepared to pay, and then we can set about recommending a decent ride, rather than chasing supposed bargains that are bound to be compromised in one way or another.

Also, get in touch with Matt Gillespie who owns T13 skatepark in Belfast. He had loads of stuff for sale recently and knows every rider in Ireland as you might expect. I'm sure he'd be able to sort you out, if only to point you towards a real bmx shop instead of the clowns you've been dealing with so far.

At least he's on the same piece of land as you  ;)

punkdSICO

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 01:10 PM »
I have never ridden a NS bike or indeed, participated in any other form of homosexual activity.  But in both cases, I have heard that to begin with it feels very uncomfortable and awkward until you get used to it..

;)

So, is it true?  Do NS bikes feel strange for a while?  Yesterday, I discovered the most MENTAL dirt jumps about 500m from my house!!  I defo want to start going there but not sure how wise that is on OS..

Paul

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41 PM »
Yep.

They feel COMPLETELY different to old school bikes. Modern bikes felt so long to me at first, but flew much more naturally through the air. Many fewer endos or loop outs when you're jumping. Riding quarters, they felt slower in the air, more stable.

People on this site are largely deluded, it bugs the hell out of me sometimes. They expect to hop on a new school bike, conveniently forgetting their often 20 years older and 3-4 stone heavier and then go on to moan how new school bikes are crap because they can't do the stuff they can, or could, on their old school bike.

Modern and old school bike are like apples and oranges.

And thank fcuk.

If you want to ride, spend a decent amount of money on the right tool for the job, go out and apply yourself a little bit. Expect to get hurt. Expect to have time off work. Expect to love it.

This is not an easy sport, never has been, never will be.

If you have trails on your doorstep, happy days.  However, be sure the first time you turn up there, you turn up with a shovel and not a bike.

No dig, No ride. It's a global rule.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 01:52 PM »

If you have trails on your doorstep, happy days.  However, be sure the first time you turn up there, you turn up with a shovel and not a bike.

No dig, No ride. It's a global rule.

Summed up trails in one go there  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

ratty67vw

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 03:56 AM »
thanks again lads  for the advice
twobobrob i will check out the T13 skatepark and try and contact matt . ( i heard they have a facebook page ) as you say its on my side of the water lol so thats a good start mind you i am all the way down in the south . as for what i am prepared to pay for a new school ride i wasnt going to spend much more than £300 . mainly because i dont know if i will get to use it that much . if i do find myself useing it alot then i could always upgrade later . as for your other points well i aint affraid to get hurt and days off  work ummm i work for myself so not a proplem  ;D
Oh and i have a shovel  :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Ratts, my last post was aimed toward punkdSICO really, but the sentiment's the same. If you love riding though, you'll soon get to grips with the bikes, don't worry too much. £300 is a great amount of money to spend, you'll get a cracking s/h bike for that or a very decent new complete on offer somewhere.

Matt Gillespie is a cool bloke. Worst ways he'll hook you up with some riders down there with you, he knows everybody!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  thinking of buying a new school ride

gfxgfx
gfx gfx