gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 07:35 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aqua/vapour blasting mag wheels (final results 23rd)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Aqua/vapour blasting mag wheels (final results 23rd)  (Read 3227 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Aqua/vapour blasting mag wheels (sneak preview 22nd)
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Got a call today the mags are done  :D

Picking them up tomorrow hopefully. The nice bloke there sent me this before and after pic  :daumenhoch:

The wooden discs are there to protect the chromed hubs.
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

energiza

Re: Aqua/vapour blasting mag wheels (sneak preview 22nd)
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 10:20 PM »
 :daumenhoch: looks pukka to me..worth every penny i say

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
Re: Aqua/vapour blasting mag wheels (final results 23rd)
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Will this work on other colours ?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Well i'm just back from the vapour blasters and am well happy. Best 30 quid i have spent in a while.  :4_17_5:
The mags are naturally a vanilla white so i wasn't expecting a Hollywood smile from them but they have come up a treat

What has impressed me most is that it has all but eradicated the mockled dirty marbling effect that most old mags have. (like its embedded in the plastic rather than sat on top)

I didnt do any prep for the mags, no bleach, scrubbing or even removing of brake rub. I wanted to see what the blasting was capable of
 (and what it could save me in man hours  ;) )

The plywood disc masking worked like a charm so no lengthy polishing of hubs for me  :daumenhoch:

The bloke there was great and quite happy to listen to me waffle on about old bikes. Turns out he has a chrome burner, probably a team burner with black skyways tucked away in his dads shed ;)

He said he would entertain peeps posting stuff to him but he would need really good images of the job beforehand in case the job would take longer than expected but 15 quid a wheel would be a base price  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Will this work on other colours ?

Dunno. I guess if they are faded then no amount of blasting will restore the colour but it will certainly clean surface crap off  :daumenhoch:

I have some yellow alloy hubbed skyways that are a little faded and mucky, may give them a go  ;)

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 07:11 PM »
i would have presumed that if only water there being blasted with it wouldn't bring back faded mags, but as they use a fine powder with the high pressure water i wouldn't be surprised if they did bring faded mags back to a good colour as only a very thin outer layer would need to be removed.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aqua/vapour blasting mag wheels (final results 23rd)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx