gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 05:48 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brakeless fork mod (final pics 13th)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brakeless fork mod (final pics 13th)  (Read 9466 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Brakeless fork mod (final pics 13th)
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Having bought myself this for Christmas i soon find myself missing a front brake  :(

I really wanted the forks to match the frame but in their wisdom WTP only did a brakeless fork for this model.
As some of you will recall i mused the idea of mounting removable brake mounts on two seat clamps so i could run a U brake and not have to drill the forks for a weak traditional caliper.

The tapered forks measure 32mm around the area where a brake would sit and after hours of fruitless searching for seat clamps chunky enough to drill and tap for the brake mounts i decided it would be better to make my own  :D

Spent a pleasant afternoon in work not actually working but pissing around with some recycled plastic samples i got sent for a job a while back  ;)

This is the prototype (sorry for the bobbins pics)

and mounted in place on the fork with the brake offered up for fit

Pretty pleased how it came out. There is plenty of clearance for the tyre and even the plastic prototype gripped well when tightened up  :D

Ordering some T6 aluminium tonight and hoping to get them done next week, stay tuned  ;D

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:53 PM by oldschoolace »
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Brakeless fork mod
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:04 PM »

:daumenhoch:   can't beat a head scratching project  :4_17_5:  can't wait to see the finished job  :daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:11 PM »
cracking idea, but begs a  question, obviously the plastic is bendy and opened up around the fork to do the single point up at the back, how is this going to translate to metal?
The only way i can see this working is if the clamp is two peices [kinda like the DC clamps] with the mount on one piece with countersunk holes on either side of the mount for the bolt heads to sit in and tapped holes on the other piece on either side

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:19 PM »
cant see it lasting long in plastic or ally ! brake lugs are hardcore for a reason! braze ons ?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Great idea :) But there's a couple of things - ally won't last too long if you're gonna ride hard, and more importantly you need a bridge that connects the two lug clamps over the wheel otherwise they'll move away from the wheel after a few brakes I reckon.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36 PM »
cracking idea, but begs a  question, obviously the plastic is bendy and opened up around the fork to do the single point up at the back, how is this going to translate to metal?
The only way i can see this working is if the clamp is two peices [kinda like the DC clamps] with the mount on one piece with countersunk holes on either side of the mount for the bolt heads to sit in and tapped holes on the other piece on either side

;D just been having the same discussion with my brother. Yeah if i was looking to make these to sell then that would deffo be the way to go. As it is, with the bolt removed the slot in the back of the clamp slides over the fork dropouts lovely. Didnt have to pry the plastic at all  :daumenhoch:

I concede that over time the aluminium clamp may develop stress fractures but i dont intend to use the front brake all the time, just for the odd endo and stuff. The final design will be a few mili thicker in the thin spots now i know there is definately enough room for it  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Great idea :) But there's a couple of things - ally won't last too long if you're gonna ride hard, and more importantly you need a bridge that connects the two lug clamps over the wheel otherwise they'll move away from the wheel after a few brakes I reckon.

Valid point about the bridge. I did think of that but i dont want the hole thing to be too bulky. It may well need it anyway but its work in progress at the moment so will get it done and road test it  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:41 AM »
or drill the forks and use a plate  ???

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Very nearly went down the road of drilling and u brake plate but couldnt bring myself to drill a hole in my lovely new forks  :smitten:

ozone

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:57 AM »
couldnt bring myself to drill a hole in my lovely new forks  :smitten:

Fitting your clamps to fork legs will probably damage the paint (at the very least) anyway so I'd be thinking about.

A - getting another fork which is already drilled and colour matching them to the frame.
B - buying a cheap bike with front and rear brakes to thrash around and leaving your lovely bike well alone. 
C - talking to Kappy about a front disc conversion.   :LolLolLolLol: 
D - what pickle said....

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Well im doing it anyway  :yahoo_silent:   :2funny:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18 AM »
If you're going to go to all that trouble the least you  ;)could do is pull your bars back a bit

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:30 AM »
If you're going to go to all that trouble the least you  ;)could do is pull your bars back a bit

;D

I love the idea of doing this (and yes there are easier ways as said, getting drilled forks etc), but it smacks of a good bit of mid-school make do and mend, if not invent :) So I'm in  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Mdbh

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 11:42 AM »
If I was you I'd stop the messing around and weld some lugs on, then colour match the paint! Sorted! :daumenhoch:

lk_97

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I have some affix forks with lugs? :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52 AM »

:LolLolLolLol:

ozone

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 12:04 PM »

:LolLolLolLol:

You have no frame of reference.  You are out of your element.   :2funny:

lk_97

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 12:26 PM »
I was joking, by the way :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 01:31 PM »
I was joking, by the way :daumenhoch:

;) yeah me too with the dude reference  :daumenhoch:  ;D

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 08:33 PM »
V brakes...  :shocked: how very dare you sir!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Cheers for that bud  :daumenhoch: My forks are 32mm though  :(

Could pad it out with a rubber gasket, which would also protect the paint on the forks but i cant run V brakes... Hate the things  :2funny:

lk_97

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Would you be able to make me a set of brake mounts like that? Need some for my frame as it only has chainstay mounts :-\ of course, I'll pay :daumenhoch:

dan-dare

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 08:41 PM »
V brakes...  :shocked: how very dare you sir!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

mount them higher up the leg for AD brakes.... :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 08:52 PM »
In all seriousness i did think about that as there is only 0.1mm difference in the mount diameter if memory serves. I think i concluded, wrongly or rightly, that as the v mounts sit 4mm or so closer to the rim it may make installing a u brake a touch tight  :-\

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Just buy some new forks and get Dan to colour match the frame :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brakeless fork mod (final pics 13th)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx