gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Falcon Pro Beta 24
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Falcon Pro Beta 24  (Read 8287 times)

Jaypeg

Falcon Pro Beta 24
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Morning...picked up my Falcon Pro 24 yesterday from the post office. Missed it on Ebay so got in contact with the seller and made a deal.£210 for frame, forks, bars and Tuff II's(marmite moment). Chrome is in good condition and i gave it a clean with foil and coke and then a quick polish. im going to swap th bars for some win bars that i have....its going to be chrome/blue as a homage to my Mongoose wire wheel from back in 83. Ive never ridden a 24" before as i only own freestyle bikes so should be fun. i will update as and when i get more parts and as the build progresses. As for the Tuff II's, im going to fit them and keep an eye out for some blue rims. Comments and help are always welcome, anywho have a good sunday.

marmite moment... :)

Decals by Del (thanks mate)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:00 PM by Jaypeg »

Skid

Re: Falcon Pro Beta 24
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:51 PM »
The Beta 24 was chrome and blue anyway mate  ;)

Jaypeg

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:21 PM »
The Beta 24 was chrome and blue anyway mate  ;)
Cheers bud, I have only seen them in red and chrome. There's me thinking I'm going against the grain. :)

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Here's me racing one in Old Skool class that I built with my dad:

Jaypeg

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Here's me racing one in Old Skool class that I built with my dad:

Cool pic, cheers... What's it like to ride? I've never ridden a 24 ...

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Seriously it is exactly like an early 80s BMX but slightly bigger, ie very slack steering angle etc. My dad had a stock one BitD and it was a terrible ride but mainly cos of the heavy, poor parts. Our current one has profile cranks, nice sealed wheels etc etc and rides pretty well, it was competitive in club racing at Bradford with the other Old Skoolers and cruiser dads. This pic from BaldBMXer's Twenty24 magazine, me with the pink T-shirt in the main shot and yellow/blue jacket in the picture in top right:

Jaypeg

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:18 PM »
Seriously it is exactly like an early 80s BMX but slightly bigger, ie very slack steering angle etc. My dad had a stock one BitD and it was a terrible ride but mainly cos of the heavy, poor parts. Our current one has profile cranks, nice sealed wheels etc etc and rides pretty well, it was competitive in club racing at Bradford with the other Old Skoolers and cruiser dads. This pic from BaldBMXer's Twenty24 magazine, me with the pink T-shirt in the main shot and yellow/blue jacket in the picture in top right:

Awesome pic, and thanks for the lowdown regarding the ride, I'm mainly building it as a cruiser for those few and far between sunny days...I've been looking online for some wheels but not much joy yet.  I've got a bear trap headset coming, mx1000 rear brake, viscount seat and some ame grips. Thanks again mate 8)

renegaderacer

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:18 AM »
Lovely looking frame and forks you've got there.  :daumenhoch:

Can't wait to see this bad-boy built up!  ;)

Giles  :)

Jaypeg

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:44 PM by Jaypeg »

Jaypeg

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Thanks mate, I was A bit dubious about the chrome as it was described as " some pitting" ... Got some parts on the way from
 The u.s of a and should hopefully be able to start the build this weekend as I want to get the bb pressed in at a shop I know. I will keep you posted, have a good One.

simon h

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Had a falcon pro as a kid great memories.Looking forward to seeing this built up.

Jaypeg

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Had a falcon pro as a kid great memories.Looking forward to seeing this built up.
cool, got any pics from bitd...just got this today(its not nos but it will do for the mo)...complete with tron background. :)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Have it .......... virtually all original parts. I think only the seat, seat post, grips and brakes have been changed.

Yes i'm aware the brake cable is on the wrong side above, we never had a long enough one at the time for my son to ride around on so we diversified. All correct now and how sad it looks in the loft at the moment.

Original chrome and i have stickers for it but have never been fitted.

EDIT>>>>>>>>. Weird how yours has a looptail and no brace at the bottom bracket  :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:34 PM by Southern Andy »
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Jaypeg

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Have it .......... virtually all original parts. I think only the seat, seat post, grips and brakes have been changed.

Yes i'm aware the brake cable is on the wrong side above, we never had a long enough one at the time for my son to ride around on so we diversified. All correct now and how sad it looks in the loft at the moment.

Original chrome and i have stickers for it but have never been fitted.

EDIT>>>>>>>>. Weird how yours has a looptail and a brace at the bottom bracket  :-\ :-\
[/quote

Have it indeedy..very nice, it looks sad in your loft (especially with the bars at that angle)...if you ever want to sell the wheels let me know, ta...and thanks for posting. :)

Jaypeg

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 11:17 PM »
EDIT>>>>>>>>. Weird how yours has a looptail and no brace at the bottom bracket  :-\ :-\
[/quote]
Mmmmm that is strange, I've just checked another beta 24 on museum and that also has a looptail( pic not at the right angle to check the brace)...that was a 81 beta , my forks are dated 83(akisu)?

ratty67vw

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 02:44 AM »
cool frame and forks . heres mine also not a looptail

Jaypeg

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 10:33 AM »
cool frame and forks . heres mine also not a looptail

Thanks mate, like yours too mate! I need to check the serial against the other beta on the museum...

750Rush

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Nice bike.

I had one when I was 10 back in 81/2.

Was it this one you bought on the bay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290696765066'ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Jaypeg

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Nice bike.

I had one when I was 10 back in 81/2.

Was it this one you bought on the bay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290696765066'ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Cool, thanks mate... Yeah that's the one, did it belong to you?

louisdevil

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Nice bike i,ve still got mine from 83 -84 with original white skyways

louisdevil

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Mine isnt a looptail either

750Rush

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Yeah that's the one, did it belong to you?

No, it didn't belong to me. I was very tempted to place a last minute bid on it though. Like you, I contacted the guy after the auction as there were no bids, but I was too late as it had already sold. I'm glad it's gone to an enthusiast and not a splitter  8) I've got 10 mini for my 3year old, 10 20" BMXs and would like a 24" to add to the collection.

I had a Falcon Beta 24 as my 1st BMX when I was 10 years old. My parents thought I'd grow into it. Although I took it to bed with me every night :crazy2: I didn't have it long as I swapped it for a 2nd hand Mk1 Raleigh Night Burner that I raced back in 1986. Needless to say I didn't win any races  :2funny:

Jaypeg

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Nice bike i,ve still got mine from 83 -84 with original white skyways
Cool, swap the decals to a skyway and flog it as a new 24 , have a good one.

Jaypeg

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Mine isnt a looptail either
Still waiting to find out against another serial number , have a good one.

Jaypeg

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Yeah that's the one, did it belong to you?

No, it didn't belong to me. I was very tempted to place a last minute bid on it though. Like you, I contacted the guy after the auction as there were no bids, but I was too late as it had already sold. I'm glad it's gone to an enthusiast and not a splitter  8) I've got 10 mini for my 3year old, 10 20" BMXs and would like a 24" to add to the collection.

I had a Falcon Beta 24 as my 1st BMX when I was 10 years old. My parents thought I'd grow into it. Although I took it to bed with me every night :crazy2: I didn't have it long as I swapped it for a 2nd hand Mk1 Raleigh Night Burner that I raced back in 1986. Needless to say I didn't win any races  :2funny:
Alright mate, Yeah I thought I could do with a 24 in my life... Missed the bid by a couple of mins but thought I would ask.. I suppose you could say that I am a splitter as I didn't buy it as a complete bike purely because I had a lot of nice parts to fit and I didn't want to end up with a shed load of parts building up . Still trying to get some wheels! As for sleeping with your Bmx , ha ha the things we did as kids huh! Just got a new seatpost but still waiting for my seat to arrive, will post ASAP .. Cheers for the post and your story , have a good one :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Falcon Pro Beta 24

gfxgfx
gfx gfx