gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 04:57 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Old Giant ID - Help Please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old Giant ID - Help Please  (Read 6211 times)

greentoad

Old Giant ID - Help Please
« on: June 26, 2006, 05:56 PM »
Hi all

I found a mint condition and complete Giant today.

It is a chrome F&F and has very nice welds, the gusset looks a bit like a goose, chrome v bars, and gold araya's with gold sunshine hubs (seen some on US bay - never heard of them before, they any good), blue giant bmx tyres, blue sr pedals, gold suntour stem, gold mx quick release brakes, gold post and clamp, maxy cross 170 cranks.

It has G0682 and 2172247 Stamped on the outside rear dropouts.

Any help in what model it might be and also year? Also who made them and where? I shall collect it later in the week as I had no room (no pics till then).

I don't know much about Giant so any help in quality, models, any good etc would be appreciated.

If they are fairly srong and not a collectors item I will use this as my race bike, it should be fun  :).

Thanks

J.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 05:53 PM by greentoad »

Frosty

Re: Giant Complete BMX - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:59 AM »
Never heard of an os bmx? Any pics?

greentoad

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 07:09 PM »
Hi all

ANY HELP PLEASE?

Surely someone knows of Giant BMX's? It can't be that rare can it?

I am off to pick the bike up tomorrow (it's a non loop), but would be grateful for any comments on the bike, models available, possible year etc before I pay in full, as it is quite exspensive by my standards.

Please reply with any help or pictures etc.

Thanks

J.

silentpartner

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:34 PM »
it must be giant, as in the mountain bike company, i think there was a few race bikes in th states not to long ago, but i don't remember them being an 'old' bmx  :-\ find out what size the headtube is?, may give some clue as to age, threaded or non threaded forks?. what bottom bracket as it got?.

alan  ;)

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 12:18 AM »
I think Giant made Mosh bikes up till a couple of years ago, they weren't bad either. The Mosh Brass 4 Star was supposed to be one of the best completes on the market, made for street & park, I think. Far as I know they ditched the brand to focus on Giant race bikes.
Before Mosh, I dunno. I didn't know who Giant were till fairly recently, spotting the name on MTBs.
Maybe it's an earlier attempt at a BMX, kind of like the Gary Fisher, Saracen & Kona ones from the late 90s(?).

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 12:34 AM »
I had a prototype Giant from the factory back in the early 80's (I think it was around late 81 early 82), it was black with gold components, top notch gear all branded - Araya 7x's, Suntour stem, Race Inc bars, Sugino 3pc cranks, KKT pedals, Comp III's etc.  A great bike with some of the best welds I've ever had on a bike.  The full cro-mo frame had an X pattern gusset and was a non loop tail version, absolutely loved it and didn't want to give it back but had to and I had to write a report on how it rode and if anything broke  :rant:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

greentoad

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 08:10 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for the help.

I had a prototype Giant from the factory back in the early 80's (I think it was around late 81 early 82), it was black with gold components, top notch gear all branded - Araya 7x's, Suntour stem, Race Inc bars, Sugino 3pc cranks, KKT pedals, Comp III's etc.  A great bike with some of the best welds I've ever had on a bike.  The full cro-mo frame had an X pattern gusset and was a non loop tail version, absolutely loved it and didn't want to give it back but had to and I had to write a report on how it rode and if anything broke  :rant:

The above is sounding very promising, I shall pick it up today and was going to put it straight into storage for a while to hide it from the wife  ;) but shall now bring it home so it can be fully inspected / ID'd

I reckon Marty's description sounds about. Is there a copy of the report anywhere and some pictures?

Cheers

J.

greentoad

Re: Old Giant ID - Help Please
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 06:02 PM »
Hi all

I have it.  :)

It is very slightly different than I remember. It has a Giant stem not Suntour. It is very light (compared to a Cali) and rides well. I was told that it was also blue originally (sounds like a coating as it was not paint).

It is in amazing condition and has only been washed so far (a few weeks ago). I would be greatful for any help in year and model. It has a riveted Giant badge. The brakes and cables have the plastic caps etc.

What do you think, a good survivor or is the F&F poor quality?

Thanks,

J.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 06:09 PM »
cool find, dump the MTB seat and grips though :)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 06:58 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the help.

The above is sounding very promising, I shall pick it up today and was going to put it straight into storage for a while to hide it from the wife  ;) but shall now bring it home so it can be fully inspected / ID'd

I reckon Marty's description sounds about. Is there a copy of the report anywhere and some pictures?

Cheers

J.

I did have a copy of the report in my mum's loft, unfortunately my stepdad in his infinite wisdom threw nearly all of my old bmx stuff out when they had some work done in the loft after I got my own place.  Looks like I was pretty close with the spec of your one!  Like Bob says, bin the seat and grips and it'll look way cool!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Frosty

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Nice looking bike that, chrome is in excellent nick :daumenhoch:

revcore

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Thats a great frame. Here in Australia they were known as a 'Repco Hotfoot' instead of a Giant.

silentpartner

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 01:54 PM »
wow mate, thats sweet, how rare must that be.
nice find  :daumenhoch:

alan  ;)

greentoad

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 02:47 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the help. The frame and forks do look pretty much the same as the Repco (which is a full chro - mo F & F) apart from the Repco did not have as high spec components as this Giant.

I have also found out about the hubs. They are Sunshine and the rear is flip flop, and dated 82. So on the data from the hubs and the frame number I reckon that it's worthy of a new seat and a set of grips and then a hack around a track.

I have not touched it so far, but reckon with a couple of dozen hours (full strip and polish as always) it will be perfect.

The wheels and hubs are like new, the frame has NO rust, the bars just need a polish and the whole thing feels right and well built.

I'm pretty chuffed with this find.

Off tonight to get another 84 Master and maybe Profile's too (champ pro?), it's been a good week.

;)

J.

daz bmx it!

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 03:44 PM »
I have one of those frames,I didn't know what the feck it was? ??? but i do now ;)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 03:52 PM »
i got one as well i thought it was a schwinn mines the same as that one.

Offline Mr.Hotfoot

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Hi all

I have it.  :)

It is very slightly different than I remember. It has a Giant stem not Suntour. It is very light (compared to a Cali) and rides well. I was told that it was also blue originally (sounds like a coating as it was not paint).

It is in amazing condition and has only been washed so far (a few weeks ago). I would be greatful for any help in year and model. It has a riveted Giant badge. The brakes and cables have the plastic caps etc.

What do you think, a good survivor or is the F&F poor quality?

Thanks,

J.
thats a nice 1982 Giant gmx 360 you have there . here in Australia we know them as 1982 Team Hotfoots

Offline Mr.Hotfoot

• Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 09:40 AM »
here's some pic's of mine i have 4 of them

1 is a custom build in chrome and gold

1 is a custom tribute build in a McDonalds theme

2 are just frame and forks for now

Offline Mr.Hotfoot

• Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 09:45 AM »
some pic's from a Giant Cataloque

rodriguez

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Epic thread resurrection  :shocked:

Great information none the less  :daumenhoch:

Offline series1glenn

• Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Bit of an old thread but I have a Giant GMX300 here in the UK, got it for my 12th birthday back in 1982 and still in same survivor condition, mine is original chrome frame/forks..good parts on also

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Old Giant ID - Help Please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx