gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 06:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Wheel advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wheel advice  (Read 697 times)

Webby20001

Wheel advice
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:35 PM »
Folks, hopefully one of you clever people will tell me if i'm right or not.

Just relaced a set of pro-class wheels thanks to the excellent guide on here, no way i was going to true them though so popped them into Halfords for them to do. 
Now the guy in Halfords said they would give them a go but they were 'ovalled' and proceeded to spin them and show me that they went slightly up and down.  Said to him they weren't ovalled when they had the old spokes in and that I had just relaced them and not even tried to true them. He said he would try but they would more than likely still go up and down. Was he right or am I right in saying that truing the wheel not should not only sort side to side movement but up and down as well.

Sorry bit long winded :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Wheel advice
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Just as a question to you, have you replaced the spokes only?

Could it be that you have tightened the spokes up to different lengths ? The up and down movement is due to spokes being differing lengths on either end ? (i.e. the rim is not centric with the hub)

Only a thought, and I am no expert but I suspect this could happen.  Hopefully one of the boys with experience can confirm.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:06 PM »
Take them to a proper bike shop as well

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 02:10 PM »
A rim can go out of true (sideways and up and down) when it has the spokes taken out and relaced.

The way I true them is this, put each nipple on to the spoke the same amount of turns (or to the top of thread or bottom of nipple etc), this way you lace the whole wheel with the exact same amount of tension in each spoke.  Then go around each spoke and tighten each nipple the same amount of turns, I usually do each nipple 1 whole turn all the way around.  Repeat until all the spokes are almost tightly tensioned, then go around from now on with 1/2 or 1/4 of a turn on each spoke until fully tensioned.

The wheel should now be true both ways.

If the wheels are for riding on then after a few days or a week, take the wheels out and retension all of the spokes again.  The spokes/rims need a bit of time to 'settle'.

If you ever find you need to completely true a wheel but dont want to respoke, just loosen all of the spokes off and do the above.  When truing a wheel that has an egg and side to side movement ALWAYS do true the up and down 1st.

Oh and stop taking wheels or bikes to Halfords, they don't know their ass from their elbows and will probably fook it up.  As Rob says take it to a 'real' bike shop.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:12 PM by Stidds »

Webby20001

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 02:18 PM »
Cheers fella's I was having second thoughts when I left them there ::)

Yes new spokes and new nipples, haven't tighted any of the nipples up as i thought it would make it easy for them to true. They said they were going to try and get them done this afternoon, if they are still going up and down I'll refuse to pay and take them somewhere else.

Cheers

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:20 PM »
good luck with that one, i'd be amazed if they haven't binned them for you because they have holes in the rims  ;D

Offline Munnyella

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I'd go and get them back immediately, take them to the zoo, giraffes are likely to make a better job of it.
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Webby20001

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 04:30 PM »
 ;D Just got a phone call from them saying they can't do them!! Off to pick them up and take them to a proper bike shop

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 05:36 PM »
get them back and do them yourself. do exactly as stidds says, tighten each spoke until you see one thread at the nipple. when thats done start at the first spoke next to the valve hole and give each nipple one full turn, starting at the valve hole is key so you dont loose where you started, keep doing this till it starts to get tension in it then give them half a turn. once all the spokes are tight spin the wheel and it should be pretty much straight with probably a very slight side to side movement if any.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Wheel advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx