gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 07:14 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring colour in tyres?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoring colour in tyres?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
Restoring colour in tyres?
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Does anyone have any top tips for restoring/bringing back the colour in a set of nos, but faded, red panaracers? To be honest, they're not all that bad, but I want to try and get some lustre back in the red.

Cheers  :daumenhoch:
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Restoring colour in tyres?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:23 AM »
I have seen the yanks using armourall with decent results, a bit like using back to black on bumpers. No good for a rider though
Personally i would try getting them aqua blasted. Sounds daft but the place i use do tyres all the time for show cars n stuff  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:25 AM »
I have seen the yanks using armourall with decent results, a bit like using back to black on bumpers. No good for a rider though
Personally i would try getting them aqua blasted. Sounds daft but the place i use do tyres all the time for show cars n stuff  :daumenhoch:

Might be worth a try mate, I'm taking some tuffs to be aqua blasted shortly so I can ask him what he thinks  :daumenhoch:

snapper

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:26 AM »
i once had worn black comp 3 tyres ..i just wanted them clean...i was at the car wash when i seen another man put this on his car tyres ..i bought this to clean my tyres and thought what the hell lets give it a go....i sprayed it on foamy and used a hand brush over ...and when it evaporated the tyres were shinney clean ..

as for colours that may be a shade up difference ..but its only a few bucks

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:30 AM »
this stuff is not to bad, doubt it'll bring back the colour but would make them look glossy but no good if riding them.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=110801&Referrer=googleproductsearch

i also think the aqua blasted way is the best, as you'll be removing the very top faded layer of rubber. then you should be left with unexposed red rubber under that.

where are you getting the tuff's done and at what cost are they

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I would try scrapping a little area of tyre with a stanley blade and see if it makes a difference. The blasting will remove a few microns (and obviously get them really clean) but if the tyres are knackered it wont make a difference.

You could ask your guy to just try an area. Dont forget the before and after pics  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:14 PM »
I've yet to get down to the guy who does the aqua blasting, but it sounds the best bet. As for price, and who, I'll let you know depending on what the results are.

Cheers lads

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring colour in tyres?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx