gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 02:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Why don`t Tioga just make some old school tyres ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Why don`t Tioga just make some old school tyres ?  (Read 2147 times)

Rob1

Why don`t Tioga just make some old school tyres ?
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:58 PM »
They remade Comp 3s , why can`t they remake Comp STs or Pools or at least some skinwall tyres ? Mabe they did and I don`t know .... tell me :(

Mdbh

Re: Why don`t Tioga just make some old school tyres ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Ithink they did fella, but I maybe wrong!:)

spesh

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:55 PM »
a bicycle company in america contacted panaracer to make some nos mtb gumwalls
so panaracer obliged and dug out the old moulds and did a run of them

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/timbuktire.htm

i have a pair on my restored muddy fox

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 06:58 PM »
What's the point in collecting old stuff if all the companies just redo them  ???

If you want tyres to ride on then pork chop makes copies  :daumenhoch:

if its for a show build then patience is the key........finding that right part is all the fun.  there's no rush  :daumenhoch:

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 07:39 PM »
What's the point in collecting old stuff if all the companies just redo them  ???

if its for a show build then patience is the key........finding that right part is all the fun.  there's no rush  :daumenhoch:

1) because no body can hold of them anymore
2) copies don't look nothing like the originals
3) there is no fun in finding the right tyres then finding out they are £300 and cannot afford them anyway and to me that's taking "the fun" out of it :-[

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 07:53 PM »
a bicycle company in america contacted panaracer to make some nos mtb gumwalls
so panaracer obliged and dug out the old moulds and did a run of them

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/timbuktire.htm

i have a pair on my restored muddy fox

Am loving the 'so solid crew' (ie:no suspension) old school mtb you have there :coolsmiley: :smitten: :4_17_5:

Buz :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:55 PM »
I think there is a place for repops.The pork chop st's are fine for a rider,even he doesn't seem to have the white ones anymore.I wish TIOGA would do an ST repop too,It would help alot of people out instead of having to pay £100 plus for a pair of  perished/dry originals that are too expensive and delicate to ride on.My mate was recently looking for some white freestyle gumwalls but had to settle for comp 3 copies because there was nothing available for a sensible budget.Surprised no ones jumped on this,I'm sure they would sell plenty. :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:57 PM »

if its for a show build then patience is the key........finding that right part is all the fun.  there's no rush  :daumenhoch:

3) there is no fun in finding the right tyres then finding out they are £300 and cannot afford them anyway and to me that's taking "the fun" out of it :-[

What tyres are £300  ???  I picked up some nos comp st lavender tyres for £80 and some minty white GT tyres for £60. They're out there, don't just go on baggio or crazy eBay prices

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 08:56 AM »

They're out there, don't just go on baggio or crazy eBay prices

X2

Rob1

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Hmmm the collector mentality....perhaps Del should stop making decal sets . It would be such fun to hunt around for impossible to find decals to finish our bikes .
Come on....Skyway still make wheels , Ame still make grips , has that ruined it for everyone ?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 09:41 AM »
i'm not saying that making repops would ruin anything, what i am saying is it's kind of taking the quick easy way out.  I have wanted a set of grips for over a year now.........i search for them and nothing, then bang! last week they turn up and a bagged them for £17 which is only a bit dearer than a new set of AME grips, but these are old era correct ones which i have been after for a while.

For a rider, why would you use 30 year old tyres anyway?  i think repop ones would be fine for that........i just think it's better to search for the right parts, not just a quick fix and move onto the next.

as for decals?  they were hardly made in great numbers BITD were they?  they were not a standard part that got made in the millions like brakes, tyres and the like  :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:50 AM »
Hmmm the collector mentality....perhaps Del should stop making decal sets . It would be such fun to hunt around for impossible to find decals to finish our bikes .
Come on....Skyway still make wheels , Ame still make grips , has that ruined it for everyone ?

Where else can people find these items apart from eBay and Vert- Ego etc?  Us civilians don't have access to Shiners stock you know.  Call it impatience but waiting 18 months to find a vital part for a build frustrates the hell out of me.  Guess I'm just spoilt as I was used to paying sensible money for tyres etc. from Alans, Rudewheels, Skatepool and Vert-ego before the NOS stock sold out.   :(

I have no problem with TIoga or anyone else knocking out repop tyres as they're consumable items that aren't meant to last for 30 years.  Frames and other components are a different matter as far as collectors are concerned.

Rob1

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:57 AM »

I have no problem with TIoga or anyone else knocking out repop tyres as they're consumable items that aren't meant to last for 30 years. 

That`s the point . Everything else can be restored . I don`t want Porkchop tyres and I want to ride my bike . :yahoo_silent:

;)

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Where else can people find these items apart from eBay and Vert- Ego etc?  

??? Er, BMX Museum, OZBMX etc...

What tyres are £300  ???

Find some NOS Comp II's or NOS Hutch or NOS Kuwi's & see how much they are...!  ^"^

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:14 AM »
There's always the exception yo the rule.  but you can pick up old tyres for a lot less.

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 10:21 AM »
There's always the exception yo the rule.  but you can pick up old tyres for a lot less.

Indeed, I did! You can get lucky too... ;)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 10:42 AM »
It took me best part of 2 years to find some Red Comp III's (fatties) and I still haven’t found a 1.75 after 4 years of looking!!! And to be honest its part of the hobby for me

I've seen a couple come up at stupid money and I just think if your that desperate for it and your that daft to spend that type of money on it then good luck to you  :daumenhoch:

Consumables (Tire's, Grips, Brake Blocks, Cables) will always be hard to find, but they are out there, I picked up a pair of 1980's SE branded tires (very rare) for a £10  :daumenhoch: the guy wanted £7 postage but I collected instead, Well I'm not made of money  :idiot2:

I collect old fishing tackle and some of the goes for STUPID money but I've picked stuff up cheap that should have been 10 times what I've paid, yes I've been waiting years for it but I can wait

I know of people on here who will have borrowed stuff so the can photograph the "finished article"  :angel:

I think repop for “go” original for “show”  as I wouldn’t want my fat ass on 30 year old tires !!!!
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 01:24 PM »
just brought these Kendas off the sale section... pretty similar to Panaracers  :)

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 04:44 PM »

What tyres are £300  ???  I picked up some nos comp st lavender tyres for £80 and some minty white GT tyres for £60. They're out there, don't just go on baggio or crazy eBay prices
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-RARE-Peregrine-White-HP-48-tires-Hutch-Dnyo-GT-Old-School-BMX-Freestyle-/180957748674?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a21ec1dc2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Cycle-Pro-Snake-Belly-24-x-2-125-BMX-Bicycle-Bike-Tires-New-Old-Stock-/350497371468?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519b45754c

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 04:53 PM »
A set of those White Peregrine tyres sold on RB.com the other day for £15  :shocked:  :shocked:  posted

Shame they will end up on the bay as the buyer has no scruples  :knuppel2:

And I think they should make re-issues of all their tyres, inclusive of Comp II's, Comp ST's, Comp Ramp etc etc as I ride all my bikes and need some more  :LolLolLolLol:  I like to keep the bikes as era correct as possible and tyres are no exception. The Comp III re-issues are good tyres though  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:56 PM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 05:29 PM »

I have no problem with TIoga or anyone else knocking out repop tyres as they're consumable items that aren't meant to last for 30 years. 

That`s the point . Everything else can be restored . I don`t want Porkchop tyres and I want to ride my bike . :yahoo_silent:

;)

Email Tioga and demand that they reissue all the tyres you want in various colours,so you can ride your bike and it will look right,im sure they will do everything they can to accommodate you.

Rob1

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Don`t be so silly .... got anything useful to say ?

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 05:56 PM »

Tioga are a massive company,they are in the game to make money,they reissued the comp 3 as they still use the moulds and it would not cost much to do this :daumenhoch:

Two sizes in one colour,so not difficult to do,plenty of people will buy em :daumenhoch:

Freestyle tyres,they would have to choose styles and colours and sizes

So st,s 1.75,2.125 white, black,red, pink,etc,which do they reissue ???,will they be stuck with loads of one colour ???

They have to make batches of tyres,not just a few to make it viable :daumenhoch:

If you want to ride with genuine o/s tyres,get your hand in your pocket,or be prepared to wait until some come up at the right price :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 06:07 PM »

Tioga are a massive company,they are in the game to make money,they reissued the comp 3 as they still use the moulds and it would not cost much to do this :daumenhoch:

Two sizes in one colour,so not difficult to do,plenty of people will buy em :daumenhoch:

Freestyle tyres,they would have to choose styles and colours and sizes

So st,s 1.75,2.125 white, black,red, pink,etc,which do they reissue ???,will they be stuck with loads of one colour ???

They have to make batches of tyres,not just a few to make it viable :daumenhoch:

If you want to ride with genuine o/s tyres,get your hand in your pocket,or be prepared to wait until some come up at the right price :daumenhoch:

not so silly  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 06:25 PM »
whats wrong with wilko tyres  :P
dave the bmxing gypo

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Why don`t Tioga just make some old school tyres ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx