gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 01:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Me & My Bikes  |  stevepeanut
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stevepeanut  (Read 1607 times)

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
stevepeanut
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Name:  Steve
Years Collecting: 10
Interests: bmx, motorbikes, cars, beer, guitars, travelling/holidays, r/c cars
Dislikes: modern r&b chart music
Favourite BMX: haro freestyler
Favourite Old School BMX Brand:  DP (still never owned one, but I will one day)

I was about 8 years old in the 1980s and I got my first bmx, I red and yellow mk1 burner, I was stunning and I loved it, despite a lot of local kids having nicer more expensive bikes. I grew up in Washington, near Newcastle, and we got really lucky, the council built us a great track. I rode that bike everywhere, stripped it down, painted it fluro orange, and swapped it for £4 and some model racing car bearings many years later. I had a few other burners over the years and some kind of top tube freestyler bike, which I think might have been a haro or dp, but I didnt really know as it was badly painted red.

10 years ago, I was talking to my sister's boyfriend and it turned out he had a mk1 super tuff burner in his garage. I gave him about £30 or £40 for it, and rode it now and again,
and hardly used it but kept it.

This is how I got it, apart from new tyres, chain and grips

over the last year I really got a big interest in getting this bike back out and riding again. I decided to restore the supertuff, its mid way through, just had new gold super chrome and nos tyres, still needs brakes, graphics, pads and a couple of things to finish, but here is how it looks now

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:01 PM by stevepeanut »

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: stevepeanut
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:16 PM »
next up I got a anniversary mag burner, I kept looking at this in the local cycle shop in Leeds, and I must have went past it so many times, and finally bought it, this was the bike that even more than the gold one, really got me back into bmx

this first pic shows how it was when I got it

after a few months of owning this, I passed it on to the missus, while I went looking for another bike, she did a bit of a custom job on it and changed a few parts like black crank, new bars, new grips, longer black seat post and the bike looks and rides a lot better

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:18 PM »
next up I bought an anni team burner, and I love this bike, it is so nice to ride

and the missus even let me hang it up above the stairs

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:22 PM »
next up, a mk1 red burner, I was going to restore this one to exactly how my first red and yellow burner was, but I find mk2 burners ride and fit me so much better than mk1s, so I sort of gave this to the missus and claimed the blue mag burner back !

she is in the middle of a custom pink and white bike

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:37 PM by stevepeanut »

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:24 PM »
so far so good, and I wanted to ride a lot more, and wanted a bike I could thrash and drop without worrying so bought this new skool mongoose

I didnt ride it much, I couldnt get on with it at all, so I sold it on pretty quickly

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:30 PM »
I was talking to fellow rad member jaymz a lot about mid/new skool and I seen his dk general lee and I wanted one so much.

I found a nice mk1 general for sale but the seller was at the other end of the country and couldnt post because it was too big for the post office service, I offered to send a courier cos I wanted this bike so much, but she was very worried about sending it on. Loads of people had tried to buy this bike and get her to post it and failed. In the end I managed to organise city link to collect the bike and bring it to me, fully insured and the bike was sold to me.

here is the bike just out of the box and built up, at some point it has maybe been re painted as the graphics are not original, first proper ride out at Leeds track and I had a bad crash. My own fault for not tightening the bars up properly. I broke my left wrist, damaged my head and neck, and I am still having problems with damaged tendons in my right wrist. I love this bikes looks, but again like the mongoose, I struggle with it to ride. I find it so slow, and tiny, not sure if its too small for me but something doesnt feel right. It needs some new forks which I will order soon.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:37 PM by stevepeanut »

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 04:34 PM »
this is my latest buy, a mk2 burner, it came up on ebay in Leeds, and the seller wouldnt post, I was the winning bidder and the bike turned out to be about 1/2 a mile from my house  :)

when I went to collec the bike I was very pleased to find it had a full cromo frame, this eventually will be the base for a proper custom painted burner, and I will start gathering parts once the gold tuff is finished

Thats it for now, any more bikes and pics will appear on here as I buy them, but next I really want one of the bikes I could never afford in the 80s, like a skyway, dp or kuwahara

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05 PM »
I have sold most of my burners and built this 1988 Haro freestyler invert

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Me & My Bikes  |  stevepeanut

gfxgfx
gfx gfx