gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 01:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tall and heavy - what Frame/Wheels/Crank length size do I choose?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tall and heavy - what Frame/Wheels/Crank length size do I choose?  (Read 820 times)

Woodster

Hi everyone,
I'm a BMX Bike nut all grown up (in height as well as years) and recalling my 'well'-spent youth on BMX. Its all coming back to me with my kids now in the mix.

I'm still in bike shape, (road and MTB) but now am 6' 3" and 90 kg or 14 1/2 stone. As a late developer, last time I rode BMX I was a great deal shorter and lighter. Jumps and tricks and a little track racing was the focus.  I'm close to Brockwell Park BMX track in SE london and am trying to work out what the hell I should be buying.
 :wtf:
-Crank lengths are a question???   :idiot2: Should I be looking for longer cranks - do they vary much?
-Gearing too,  25/9  seems to be quite popular. Will this give me a bike I can still ride to and from tracks or parks?
-Frame geometry and size too? What should I look for fella's?
-Most interesting are the 24inch wheels on racing BMX. I looked at a beautiful looking 2012 Redline MX bike.  ^"^ Will this bike lack verstaility for example?

I guess I am looking for an all rounder. I wont be doing anything too focused and really want to be able to 'ride it' comfortably.
Thanks all
WOODSTER

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
Re: Tall and heavy - what Frame/Wheels/Crank length size do I choose?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:26 PM »
First off for a big old-skooler you are a flyweight :daumenhoch:

Cranks - 180mm for racing would be most comfortable. For all else 175 should be fine.
25-9 is the same ratio as the standard 44-16 on a 20" bike. I personally would go for larger sprockets for reasons of durability but freestyle bikes are set up for the smaller sprockets.

Geometry is fairly standard at the moment, not much difference between different bikes. At your height you should be looking for a bike with 21.5" toptube or more as a starting point. Yes a 24" bike would do it all - I use the same bike to race, ride jumps in the woods and ride skateparks. But a decent sized 20" bike would do the same as well. You could do it all on a 22" or 26" wheel BMX as well...

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Most new school bmx's are really engineered well. Anything really modern would be very strong if your buying new. Skyways are still available new too. Just make sure its full cromo and pretty to look at :-)
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:12 PM »
For an all round fun 24" do it all BMX bike, check out the Sunday Model C cruiser. Excellent bikes.

S&M also do a good 24" frame and fork set, as does Standard Byke Co.

All bang up to date, all ride a treat.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tall and heavy - what Frame/Wheels/Crank length size do I choose?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx