gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 06:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has Oldschool Bmx building had its day?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has Oldschool Bmx building had its day?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Has Oldschool Bmx building had its day?
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2012, 11:26 PM »
I personally couldn't give a toss if the arse fell out of it tomorrow. Bought my bikes for me and to keep.  :) just enjoy it

thats harsh
i personally hope that kappy stays around lol
:)

megsy

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2012, 11:35 PM »
I personally couldn't give a toss if the arse fell out of it tomorrow. Bought my bikes for me and to keep.  :) just enjoy it

thats harsh

:LolLolLolLol: does come across as a bit harsh.
Who's Kappy  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2012, 11:36 PM »
parts have defo got more expensive thats for sure. anyone new to the scean is gona be paying a lot more per build than say someone who started 5 years ago. in my opinion there are 3 classes/types of builders.

1 = those who have a brand or style of bmx they like, they build their bikes spot on era correct , have the knowledge to back the builds up . id say there not in it for the money and will keep their builds no matter what happens.

2 = people who build bikes from parts they can afford , have a budget and just enjoy bmx for how they see it. not over fussed if the parts are 100 per cent correct but have a genuine love for the bmx scean

3 = people who buy ,sell , have a collection or maybe just the odd few builds. i think its these people who will drop of the scean first coz parts can only get so expensive and when there no more quick dollars to be made their interest will move onto something else.

of course sometimes life can give you a knock and sadly we see people that have no choice but to sell up and some times at aloss. thats gives someone a bargain that kick starts new builds.   But to me as long as you build bikes you like /want and you enjoy it then why worry about when its gona end?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:39 PM by Badbaldie »

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2012, 11:50 PM »

thats harsh

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53 PM »

thats harsh

what nos krisps and pop lenny?

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 12:03 AM »
milk and sweets these days Dave .  :LolLolLolLol: i will have to modify this pic  :2funny:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 12:55 AM »
As someone relatively new to the scene ( about 14 months now ) I have to say its a steep learning curve. In saying that its bloody addictive as we all know.
Am I  jealous of those who got into it early...HELL YES ! The money I've spent on my 3 builds probably could have got me 12 bikes back then  :'(
For my first build (85 Haro Master) I was a bit of a sucka...I paid over the odds on ebay/Biagio for nos parts at first  but as time goes on you wise up and you get to meet many good guys who are willing to help and give you stuff at fair prices (Mark at RetrospectBMX is a real star, some American collector contacts I met through ebay and an amazing UK collector (not on any forums but he has a holy of holies in his loft with over 100 perfect nos bikes and multiple copies of nearly every nos part ever produced). 
I have to say I've loved every minute of it :smitten:
The parts I paid top dollar for seem to be selling now for at least half as much again even in this short amount of time so I don't feel so dumb.
The main problem as I see it is that the premium NOS parts are getting scarcer and scarcer which means that factory spec/tribute bikes are getting harder and harder to complete.
I do find it crazy that as a grown man in my 40s that I still can't afford to have my real dream bikes (a gen 1 Haro replica/Eddie Fiola GT/ Woody Itson Hutch ) but that's life I guess.
We've all got to have dreams....I'd love a Ferrari but my Alfa Romeo is pretty knarley so I can't grumble.... and so it is with BMX....
My latest build is going to be my first rider and I can't wait until it's finished. I'm being patient and sensible and you guys here are helping a bundle but it is all about compromises.
I'd love NOS graphite tuffs and Vector Bars but For the £1500 they would cost I can alternatively make 2 pretty nice riders with used and repop parts.
Is that a crime ? I guess 5 years ago it definiely would have been seen as a sin and lazy but to us newbies we don't really have much choice. Am I stupid enough to go for a ride on my Nos £200 tyres and £200 pedals...hells no!
For every  :Aresehole: at MK12( "my gen 1 is better than your gen 1 --you know who you are !! :2gunsfiring_v1:) there were a 300 people who love this shit to the point of autism and are willing to spread the love (and old parts).
It's the spirit of this site that is the only that will keep this thing alive...... we've all got to genuinely fook ebay because ultimately that will destroy the thing that we all love :rant:

Jeesus where the fook did all that come from ?????
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 04:02 PM »
I personally couldn't give a toss if the arse fell out of it tomorrow. Bought my bikes for me and to keep.  :) just enjoy it

thats harsh
 looks like Megsy is running low on his happy pills again pmsl

Dont worry Dave im going nowhere lol besides ive just added another 2 bikes to the Kappy collection today  ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:04 PM by Darren K.A.P »
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has Oldschool Bmx building had its day?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx