gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 05:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Gold Spokes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Gold Spokes  (Read 757 times)

Woodsman

Gold Spokes
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Anyone know where I can get hold of 24" gold spokes? Preferably not TI, don't want spend that sort of dough.  Cheers.

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
Re: Gold Spokes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:14 PM »
What length are you looking for?

i have a set of gold Asahi spokes but i think they maybe suited to 26"  :-\
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Just checked them, they're 270mm.

let me know if they're gonna be any good for what you need

:daumenhoch:

Woodsman

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Just checked them, they're 270mm.

let me know if they're gonna be any good for what you need

:daumenhoch:
Laced to this : Ukai Jp-20 24" rims to bullseye hubs 36 hole, x3. I'll work out spoke length and pm you shortly.

Woodsman

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Bumpage? Is it a fairly easy job to trim spokes down to size and re-thread the ends? The bloke i was going to get to build up my wheels says it weakens the spokes??

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:50 AM »
Bumpage? Is it a fairly easy job to trim spokes down to size and re-thread the ends? The bloke i was going to get to build up my wheels says it weakens the spokes??

It would be fairly easy if you have the right tools albeit still very time consuming.

Your wheel builder is correct in what he's saying IF you are thinking of getting a thread die and recutting the threads on all the spokes.

The threads on spokes are rolled on, therefore keeping the strength as nothing has been taken away. The tooling for that is expensive and not something you'd buy for one use. As different size spokes are generally available to buy not many wheel builders buy the tool.

I think your easiest/cheapest option (if you are unable to get 'off the shelf' gold spokes in your size) would be to get regular spokes and paint them with coloured lacquer spray, you may need to use a hardener as well and be very careful when fitting/tightening.

Good luck  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Gold Spokes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx