gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 30, 2024, 03:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  WOODY ITSON BARS INFO?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WOODY ITSON BARS INFO?  (Read 10110 times)

deeman

Re: WOODY ITSON BARS INFO?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Hmmm..this is getting interesting now.So,it looks like i would need a set of VDC ones to be strictly era correct on a 1984 bike.I can feel a long search coming on.If anyone has a set of Chrome VDC Itson bars let me know and i will plan a bank job in advance!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 11:47 AM »
VDC made two generations of the woody bars, the first had a higher crossbar than the second. Hutch came next. VDC's are wider at the stem area than the woody's. Price wise VDC's can command slightly more than hutch, but obviously depends on condition etc.
The one's on garran's sport look like gen2 VDC's to me, the one's in the scanned ad look like hutch - narrower stem mount area for a start.
Around 86 (ish, when Woody went to Diamondback) Hutch had to stop calling their version woody bars and renamed them Bad bars, at the same time they started getting them manufactured overseas. The bad bars had the same geometry but a few clear differentiators - the wall thickness reduced, they had Hutch stamped on the rhs riser, diamond shaped knurling at the stem mount area, and welds were noticeably different (more recessed than on the previous woody versions). Easiest way to tell the diff between the Hutch woody's and Bad's is the is the Woody's have a small hole drilled to the underside on one of the grip end's of the bars, forget which one.
When woody went to Diamondback they started making their own version of them, I think they called them the Strike zone bar, again, the same geometry but a thin wall thickness - have to watch out for charlatan's trying to sell these as Hutch Woody's  :2gunsfiring_v1:
I think they eventually morphed into the original S&M Slam bar, but could be wrong on that one.  :-\
Dates I'm not so sure on, but I think it would be VDC up to 84, Hutch 84 and on, may be wrong, surprised a Hutch guru hasn't chimed in with the exacts yet.
Ok Sunday morning waffle over, hope it helps, good luck with the hunt  :daumenhoch: If you want there's some overpriced blue NOS Hutch Woody's on the bay at the mo - £280 though I've got the matching near NOS post if you ended up with them
Now if anyone's hoarding some VDC freestyle bars they want to lose I'm searching  ;)

oh btw I think I've just landed your mushies, all paid  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 11:54 AM »
nice one :daumenhoch: mine went on a bike for £40 :'(

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 12:06 PM »
nice one :daumenhoch: mine went on a bike for £40 :'(

:shocked: Shat, next time ping me, I'll give you £41  :LolLolLolLol:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 12:14 PM »
was about 1995 though, i bet people cringe when the know what they have thrown or given away, but then parts wouldnt be rare i suppose

deeman

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 12:26 PM »
VDC made two generations of the woody bars, the first had a higher crossbar than the second. Hutch came next. VDC's are wider at the stem area than the woody's. Price wise VDC's can command slightly more than hutch, but obviously depends on condition etc.
The one's on garran's sport look like gen2 VDC's to me, the one's in the scanned ad look like hutch - narrower stem mount area for a start.
Around 86 (ish, when Woody went to Diamondback) Hutch had to stop calling their version woody bars and renamed them Bad bars, at the same time they started getting them manufactured overseas. The bad bars had the same geometry but a few clear differentiators - the wall thickness reduced, they had Hutch stamped on the rhs riser, diamond shaped knurling at the stem mount area, and welds were noticeably different (more recessed than on the previous woody versions). Easiest way to tell the diff between the Hutch woody's and Bad's is the is the Woody's have a small hole drilled to the underside on one of the grip end's of the bars, forget which one.
When woody went to Diamondback they started making their own version of them, I think they called them the Strike zone bar, again, the same geometry but a thin wall thickness - have to watch out for charlatan's trying to sell these as Hutch Woody's  :2gunsfiring_v1:
I think they eventually morphed into the original S&M Slam bar, but could be wrong on that one.  :-\
Dates I'm not so sure on, but I think it would be VDC up to 84, Hutch 84 and on, may be wrong, surprised a Hutch guru hasn't chimed in with the exacts yet.
Ok Sunday morning waffle over, hope it helps, good luck with the hunt  :daumenhoch: If you want there's some overpriced blue NOS Hutch Woody's on the bay at the mo - £280 though I've got the matching near NOS post if you ended up with them
Now if anyone's hoarding some VDC freestyle bars they want to lose I'm searching  ;)

oh btw I think I've just landed your mushies, all paid  :daumenhoch:

Thanks for the info!and yes they were my mushies!I would like a set of these bars too now-the blue ones on the bay are nice,I saw a nice used chrome pair of VDC's going for $500 on the museum not long ago! :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 12:50 AM »
 :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=445196

Already pm'd the fella and they are gone!! :(

Al Wyn

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 12:57 AM »
Not chrome but theres a nos out there D ;)

deeman

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 04:02 PM »

Voris will make you a repro set for $250 in white,black or chrome,the oval tubing on the crossbar is not quite the same but they are as good as the real thing.I am having a set made atm for a retro VDC freestyler,let me know if you are interested and i could add to the order. :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 03:38 AM »

Voris will make you a repro set for $250 in white,black or chrome,the oval tubing on the crossbar is not quite the same but they are as good as the real thing.I am having a set made atm for a retro VDC freestyler,let me know if you are interested and i could add to the order. :daumenhoch:

Wow, very interested - let me ponder and I'll pm you at weekend if that's not too late. Sorry brain's getting too mashed at the mo from too many 19hr work days. Just need to get a night with more than 3hrs sleep to put it in perspective with crimbo coming and all. If not right now then I'll still want to sort it straight after the kid's have done me over for ipads etc in 20 days time  :'(. BTW - where abouts is he - I've got engineers in the states 17th - 23rd, may be able to help avoid the dreaded shipping and 'her majesty's" Just a thought.

Also cheers fella - got home to a postie prezzie an hr ago , feedback left soon :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 10:03 AM »
Just bagged myself a set of Gen 2 VDC's of the museum!STOKED! :daumenhoch:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=3943007#p3943007

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 10:04 AM »

I was looking at those and the post too Damo, good price I reckon mate and sweet colour. :daumenhoch:

Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

deeman

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 10:57 AM »

I was looking at those and the post too Damo, good price I reckon mate and sweet colour. :daumenhoch:

Adam

Thanks Adam,I didn't think the price was too bad either.They are marking them down so won't get clobbered at customs.They won't be staying this colour for long,a trip to the chromers is imminent! :daumenhoch:

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 10:59 AM »
I was looking at those too. I doubt many people would have use for them in that colour. Shame about losing the sig though

deeman

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 11:20 AM »
I was looking at those too. I doubt many people would have use for them in that colour. Shame about losing the sig though

I did think that too,but no use to me in that colour!The price was good enough to justify a chroming.I would happily swap for a chrome pair if anyone was up for it. :daumenhoch:

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 04:36 PM »

I did think that too,but no use to me in that colour!The price was good enough to justify a chroming.I would happily swap for a chrome pair if anyone was up for it. :daumenhoch:

I was looking at them for my GHP Trix as the colour looked a spot on match. I did ask if they were GHP colour matched in his last sale thread but didn't get a reply. I should have been quicker on the button.   :(
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

deeman

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 11:32 PM »

I was looking at them for my GHP Trix as the colour looked a spot on match. I did ask if they were GHP colour matched in his last sale thread but didn't get a reply. I should have been quicker on the button.   :(

Adam if you can use them as they are I would rather not strip them.Find me another chrome pair or a pair that need chroming and I'll trade you :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Stripped and in for chroming at the moment!

deeman

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Got these back today and they are fooking SEXUAL!! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

The welds have been left well alone on my instruction!!

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Very nice Margaret.  :daumenhoch:

I take it these are going on the Super Tuff...?!!

deeman

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59 PM »
Very nice Margaret.  :daumenhoch:

I take it these are going on the Super Tuff...?!!

You joker!worth more than the fooking bike!You know they are for my baby! :smitten:

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 01:56 PM »
epic , they look the bollox  :daumenhoch:

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Looking very nice  :coolsmiley:

Loads more info here too - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=347847&p=1

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  WOODY ITSON BARS INFO?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx