gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 01:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  spoke length anyone?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: spoke length anyone?  (Read 1912 times)

Donker

spoke length anyone?
« on: September 03, 2005, 06:08 PM »
for araya7x/pro-class rims & suzue sealed small flange hubs,

any help appreciated thanks

weston

Re: spoke length anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 07:58 PM »
it depends on how you are going to build your wheel.. ask at alans for the spokes, if you go for traditional you will need full length spokes, i rebuild by wheels shaving off alot of weight & strengthening them using the old burner wheel design, i shaved about an inch off each spoke

Donker

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 08:01 PM »
thanks, never thought of asking at the shops!! :-[

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 10:17 PM »
if you go for traditional you will need full length spokes, i rebuild by wheels shaving off alot of weight & strengthening them using the old burner wheel design, i shaved about an inch off each spoke

eh? ??? :-\

Agreed, it does depend on how you build your wheels (ie 3x 4x etc), but full length spokes? How long is 'full length'?

And how were wheels on burners built different to other wheels of the day?

Anyway, I used this to find the length I required. If your really lucky, your hubs and rims might be in there already.

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

weston

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 04:42 AM »
it depends on the angle of your spoke from the hub to the rim,different companies had different techniques,the first wheel build i did was in 82 & after copying the original burner design from the db design i saved nearly an inch off each spoke,then all you do is hacksaw them down,file them smooth & get some nice rim tape,i still use the same design to this day,if i could work out how to post pictures on this thing i would show you.... ive got quite a few things to put on like the gold large flange suntour hubs i put in my skyways in 83...

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 10:30 AM »
do you not lose the threads that way?

weston

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 11:24 AM »
yes... you have to use the tap & thread to create some more,if youve got good spokes this wont affect the strength

Donker

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 01:11 PM »
weston, thanks for the advice, id love to see the skyway conversion;D
how you thread spokes using a tap!   

do you mean a "DIE" for external threads, you usually tap a hole for internal threads.

anyway, use photobucket or similar to post pics, there is a guide on here somewhere or ask the moderaters who will post them for you.......

thanks again

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 04:42 PM »
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Jazzchimp

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Alan's don't like selling spokes unless they're building the wheel as they no doubt come back as the wrong length.

Best to just ask the shop that's building them, they'll tell you the length even if you decide to build yourself.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  spoke length anyone?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx