gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 12:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  OGK MAG Freewheel issues
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OGK MAG Freewheel issues  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
OGK MAG Freewheel issues
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:50 PM »
I brought a job lot of odd' & ends the other week, he guy had 2 mag wheels i think they are OGK in lavender (but they had been painted)

I left them behind as he sad that the freewheel had seized & he couldn't get the freewheel off, so he's taken the to a local shop who managed to removed the freewheel but for some reason he cant seem to get another to fit, anyway I called him today & I want to collect them my question is do OGK's use a different freewheel fitting to other wheels or are they most likely damaged now & collecting would be a useless exercise ???????

Sorry no pics.

Offline Munnyella

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: OGK MAG Freewheel issues
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Freewheels will be std size, the shop perhaps only has the smaller freewheel size and is unfamiliar with the technology!

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Freewheels will be std size, the shop perhaps only has the smaller freewheel size and is unfamiliar with the technology!

MM

Just found out they are called Star x mags (italian made ) i think they are only cheap but i reckon I'll pick them p & see what (if anything ) i can do with them.

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 07:25 PM »
They are screwing it the wrong way on aren't they ?

what freewheel are they using ?

even Star-X  mags use that same style as the rest
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:45 PM »
They are screwing it the wrong way on aren't they ?

what freewheel are they using ?

even Star-X  mags use that same style as the rest

Not sure mate , might be damaged I'm picking them up on Saturday so I guess I won't know until I see the wheel. Might be threaded or corroded .

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49 PM »

MM

maybe. maybe they only have a salt 14 t in stock !  ::)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 08:36 PM »

MM

maybe. maybe they only have a salt 14 t in stock !  ::)

Ok I well picked them up & the thread for the freewheel measures 1.5 inches across, wider than the dicta freewheel i have  (it also looks like the thread has had a screwdriver jammed in it to remove the previous freewheel & damaging it....

Any ideas ??

Pics below I plan to strip & dye the wheels as i cant believe how light they are & they will com e in a a nice replacement for some peregrines on a project i have planned.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: OGK MAG Freewheel issues (HELP)!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Ok Paint's off the star x mags the thread for the freewheel is knackered & it appears to be bigger just by a few mil to the skyway next to it..

Has any ane an idea of what size freewheel i'll need ??? it measures about 1.5 inches in diameter.
Or alternatively are there rear sealed bering hub kits available to replace old ones ???????

Thos is very confusing ??? picture below.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 03:57 PM »
looks like the old freewheel is still on there - well what's left of it and untill that comes off nothing will work - if the screw thread is not cleaned up then nothing will go on there ::)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Yep. Remove the pawls from what's left of the freewheel and belt it off with a punch using the pawl grooves. Think the damaged threads are part of the old freewheel, so the threads for freewheel mounting should be ok. Looks to me (after you've removed the rest of the freewheel) that that's a standard 15/16/17/18 tooth freewheel thread.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Yep. Remove the pawls from what's left of the freewheel and belt it off with a punch using the pawl grooves. Think the damaged threads are part of the old freewheel, so the threads for freewheel mounting should be ok. Looks to me (after you've removed the rest of the freewheel) that that's a standard 15/16/17/18 tooth freewheel thread.

Cheers for the update fellas I'll see what i can do !

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 04:37 PM »

OK the more i look at this the more it looks like a single unit see pic, also notice plastic teeth sections of the wheels that the housing slides on to have previously broken (i assume when the previous owner tried to remove the freewheel. I dont think theres any thread beneath & this thread is deffo to wide to take a standard freewheel. I need to get the locking nut off the other side & try to remove the whole thing from that side to see what we have here unless anyone has any other ideas???

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Thats your problem there. The plastic fingers have left the building. The freewheel was probably seized on, and the fingers gave instead of the thread. You could bash that side out of the wheel and remove the freewheel case. Only prob would be that a new freewheel would probably spin on the wheel. Unless you glued it in/on with a liquid acrylic glue such as devweld.

All the best.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Ok at this point you have to ask your self if it is worth it ?
why ?
cos i know that the star mags are not great and if you intend to ride them, i hope you don't weigh more then 8st as you will find them soft /wobbly and make your ride feel like shite  :'(

so it's up to you  ???

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 11:53 PM »
Ok at this point you have to ask your self if it is worth it ?
why ?
cos i know that the star mags are not great and if you intend to ride them, i hope you don't weigh more then 8st as you will find them soft /wobbly and make your ride feel like shite  :'(

so it's up to you  ???

Agreed, the wheels cost me nothing though (part of a job lot) of bits i picked up . The front is the same as the rear so if i remove this i can in theory run the  front wheel on the back & fit a new freewheel to what would be to the new rear...

Just picked up a 1986 Kuwaharah Bravo KT from the US & these wheels look coincidentally  lot like the stock peregrine wheels that came on the bike as standard but are missing from my purchase so it made sense to try to recycle these.... Also as Ive bought new tuff II's for my first & second build which is ongoing & i just thought it felt a little more earthy using old parts on this build.... :-\

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 12:07 AM »
get some OGK's - a far better wheel - stronger - and more repected

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 08:32 AM »
I hear you gave quite a collection ! I seem to remember ogk's being really heavy ????

Offline Andy1970

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 10:50 AM »
I had the same problem on some Bernardi Mozzie mags off a Falcon Pro.You need to remove cone nuts and axle and then drift the freewheel casting out of the wheel.I then put into a vice and tried to unscrew remains of freewheel with a big pair of stilsons.DO NOT DO THIS as the metal of the casting is soft and parts of the lugs will brake off as I found out. :'(Hold the casting in a vice and carefully grind off the freeheel being careful not to go too deep and damage the threads on the casting.Once you are nearly through you will be able to lever the freewheel off with a small screwdriver.I used some araldite on casting when I put it back on the wheel and it seems to be holding up ok.Hope this helps.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 10:50 AM »
That alloy freewheel mounts done that weird chemical fusing thing that aluminium does with rusty steel. You could dremel the freewheel off, but you've got to be careful not to damage the freewheel mount's thread.

Easiest way of doing it is dremel so you're nearly through the freewheel on opposing sides, then use a metal wedge (I use some old masonry chisels) and hammer to crack the already weakened bit where you've dremeled (if that makes sense).

After you've got it off, that alloy bit will tap back over the splines - pop a bit of epoxy in there just to keep it secure.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 11:07 AM »
its shit n fooked. bin it . can get cheap ogk copies anyway !  :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 11:51 AM »
I used a drimmel to get some stuck freewheels off and it's a bugger to do and not mess up the threads  ::)

I might have a set of black OGK for sale if you need ? lmk

cheers B  ;)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 12:45 PM »
I used a drimmel to get some stuck freewheels off and it's a bugger to do and not mess up the threads  ::)

I might have a set of black OGK for sale if you need ? lmk

cheers B  ;)

Might be interested, let me try the dremmel route first as i really want to try to use these wheels as I want dye these (Brown)...Unless anyone has a set of Tuffs ogk's or peregrines lying around ?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  OGK MAG Freewheel issues

gfxgfx
gfx gfx