gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 09:41 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polishing chrome.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Polishing chrome.  (Read 2617 times)

Rossi46

Polishing chrome.
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Hi folks. I have a survivor build on the go at the minute and decided to give it the 'Coke' and tin foil treatment today after removing the decals yesterday and leaving it bathed in Autosol overnight.

I followed the thread about this process to the letter and the results aren't bad. However, it is still very obvious where the decals were fitted as the chrome is alot brighter underneath as you might expect. The rest of the chrome looks 'tarnished' and duller than that which was under the decals even after 4 hours of polishing  :idiot2:

The finish is smooth and the chrome hasn't 'lifted' but its just not the bling i was expecting  :'(

The question is, Is there anything i can do to remove some of the tarnish ? I have used Autosol, Meguiars metal polish and finished off with window cleaner as recommended. I have some 'Peek' being delivered anyday now and will see how i get on with that but just wanted to know if anyone has been through a similar scenario and how you sorted it.

Regards, Lez

dan-dare

Re: Polishing chrome.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:19 PM »
If it's too far gone, you won't get it back....  :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I dont really think there will be much you can do in that scenario bud :(

The chrome under the old decals will be a lot fresher and preserved so it wont have the same wear as the exposed stuff.

Polish it all to a frenzy and then refit some new decals would be my advice  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:25 PM »
you wont get it back. the exposed chrome has been scored, marked  from use and the stuff under the decals protected! pm bendycateleventeen maybe

Rossi46

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Oh well. Thankyou for the replies. It seems you're all giving me the same response  :-[  I guess i'll just have to live with it but at least it has some battle scars and history. I've contacted 'Del' so hopefully he will be able to reproduce the graphics for me.

Thanks again, Lez

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:02 PM »
powdercoat it ? 50-60 quid ! or rub down and primer and paint yourself ! 20 quid material and a good spray mask  :daumenhoch:

Rossi46

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 11:11 PM »
I had considered those options but it means alot to me and i wanted to try and keep it as original as possible. The chrome hasn't flaked or pitted really in 30 years so i'll just polish it some more and fit new decals and see how it looks i think. I guess i was hoping someone would tell me about a secret wonder polish that would answer my prayers but i realised it was a long shot. You gotta ask though  :)

I will post pictures when its done and i'll then be able to see what you think  :-\

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36 PM »
I use Belgom alu and chrome polish
the alu one is  used for cleaning the chrome, You will be amazed how much filth is coming off
and finish it off with Belgom chrome.
most of the time it cleans up very well but if the chrome is dull and worn you will never get it back  >:(

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Im sure it will look awesome as soon as the new decals go on, if you really wanted it mint then a rechrome would be in order but unfortunately thats gonna set you back a fair bit.

Rossi46

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 12:17 AM »
I would like it mint but a rechrome would just wipe away its history i think  :-\.  I don't mind the fact that it wears a few battle scars, i was just hoping to make more of the original chrome  :yahoo_silent:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 12:19 AM »
Old frames have old decals on them but if you take the decals off you most likely have minty fresh chrome under that looks great! Trouble is next to the old chrome it outshines it and can make the frame look a mess.

Old chrome has lots of pits in it and this is where the rust comes out- surface rust - it can be taken off with the right stuff in the right way but will leave pitting behind!

Chrome reflects the light and when it looks dull it is actually just scratched and pitted - hair lines of usage reflect the light in different angles and make it look dull.

So how do you make it look shiny and bright?

BY NOT USING BLOODY COKE AND TIN FOIL! But the right stuff and it might take some time

By removing the surface rust you will be left with pin holes - these cannot be removed
By polishing the chrome gently you can bring up the surface to more of a mirror finish - this is done by smoothing out the hairlines and getting the light to reflect up and not out at different angles

But be careful as you can wear away the chrome- brake cables can do this along the top tube when constantly turning the bars and rubbing at the chrome

If you can polish up the chrome and make it look shiny it will blend more into the parts that have the decals on - but you have to remember that if you do polish up the frame and think that it will notice the two different grades of chrome you are just going to put a decal right back over it so it may not show anyway as you can make out the old placing of the decals

My super goose 82 was the same - old chrome that had lost its lustre and had surface rust (plus rust eating the gusset and u nder the rear plates) so after 5 hours solid polishing and very sore fingers this is what I managed to make the goose look like

Pic to follow........
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18 AM »

;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Thats a top job there bendy! What did you use to polish her up?

Rossi46

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:46 AM »

So how do you make it look shiny and bright?

BY NOT USING BLOODY COKE AND TIN FOIL! But the right stuff and it might take some time

I take it your not a 'Coke and tin foil' lover  :2gunsfiring_v1:

In seriousness, your post was an amazing insight into why the chrome goes the way it does and what can be done to rectify it as best as possible. Your goose is certainly cooking. What kind of polish do you use ? I have some 'Peek' on order that will be arriving anytime (hopefully tomorrow). Is it any good ? There are a few people on here that swear by the stuff but then again there are others that swear by 'Coke and tinfoil'  :bondage: How is a guy supposed to know what to do for the best.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Coke and tin-foil is to get the rust off. Peek is to polish it up afterwards.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 12:00 PM »
Right if you put it this way, go get some sandpaper and go rub you car all over with it ! you wouldn't right ? So why go rub down the chrome you are trying to save and resto with some thing so harsh and primitive? There are products and ways to bring up chrome with out going backward using dimfoil and dope  :crazy2:
As for choosing the right stuff ? Well you can learn the hard way or try what has said to of worked by those who have tried everything and work out what is best  ;)

Cheers B  ;)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 12:21 PM »
I agree. Used your method's a couple of times Bendy.  :daumenhoch:
Rossi seems to be under the impression that tin foil and coke is for polishing which it's not !    :(
Just pointing that out.  :)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:25 PM by CustardLips »
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18 PM »
in my mind dimefoil and dope should never be used  :tickedoff:
in this time of age there are so many more methods than the old 80's tin foil / coke

CLEAN UP
degrease with a soapy bath or orange degrease spray
Acid Oxide bath (fully submerge item) and keep checking - wash off after
Cif stainless steal work very well (silver plastic bottle spray from supermarkets) ~ cillit bang is no good as it tarnishes some metals and is hard to get back to original

POLISH UP
the chrome can look dull and might seem that it will never shine - use a polishing car cloth and peek and start to work into the chrome - it's gonna kill your hands and fingers BUT MAN UP ! Do it in stages - short periods -
WORK the peek in all over the frame or what ever item you are doing - then do it some more all over
When you feel that it is done well them you need a cloth to take off the peek dirty leftover
Then a GOODARDS cloth (supermarket again) - just polish up and rub like hell
Then a clean yellow duster

cheers B  ;)

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 02:02 PM »
me and b had this same convo quite a while ago. dont argue. coke and tin foil is for muppets !
if you want to get your frame as nice as poss you need the right accessories and the right stuff and hard tedious graft. you cant argue with the results above !

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 02:39 PM »
@Lez, what's the bike?

Rossi46

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 07:48 PM »
I think i need to clarify a few things as some appear to have misread my original post.

The question was, is there anything i can do to get rid of the tarnished effect on my chrome frame and forks.

I used the coke and tin foil method to de rust the frame as there were hoards of people on this forum stating this was the way forward. Maybe it shouldn't be a 'sticky' in the 'Tech and restoration' section if it is not an adviseable method to use  :2gunsfiring_v1:

Once derusted, i moved on to the polishing stages and just didn't get the results i was expecting. I am not under the impression that Coke and Tinfoil is part of the polishing process. I might be relatively new to this forum but i've not been living under a rock for the last 40 years. I've carried out complete restorations on motorcycles before and the coke and tinfoil method is actually pretty good on alloy engine casings but thats not important right now and alloy and chrome are not the same.

All i was asking is, if there was another product on the market, other than Autoglym, that would enhance the bike even more or if i would have to live with the tarnished effect left behind by years of use.

Bendycat gave me the answer i needed pretty early on. Its Peek polish and hard work. I can deal with that. Thankyou

And bobbbbsy, who's arguing?

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 08:14 PM »
I don't think any one is having a go at any one mate  ;) it's all cool  8)

I have tried in asking for a sticky on my findings from mods but no luck yet - it seems that most people have heard of the coke and tin foil trick - yes it works but there are better things now

autoglem does polish up, but those who regulary polish find it a little to harsh on some bmx parts - peek was found to work well ~ liquid or paste - a Goddards silver polishing cloth work very well in the finishing process

;) B

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Just out of curiosity.....Has anyone on here ever tried Brasso on chrome, with any decent findings?

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Yup  :-\  not the best and worth sticking away from - seems to yellow the chrome and leave it a bit patchy - there are some chemicals that seem to strip it more than clean the chrome - silver and brass are solid and so you can wear it away to it shines - chrome only has a certain layer before you start going through it - it is one to stay awy from on chrome - alloy may be a bit of a different story, but may still tarnish/patchy in places

only my findings - B  ;)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Hmmm interesting, cheers B.  Only reason i asked is because a bloke that i work with literally uses brasso on everything, in fact id go so far to say he has it on his dinner....brushes his teeth with it etc etc  :LolLolLolLol:

And guess what he suggested might be worth a try or chrome..lol.  I really wont even contemplate it though after hearing that  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polishing chrome.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx